Miss Austen Regrets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Austen Regrets Reviews

½ November 4, 2015
Part of it was fun - the way her life was supposedly echoed in her books, but parts were also a bit boring. It did raise an interesting question of how fiction may influence people's lives and decisions.
July 14, 2015
About romance and pride. I will never look at a Jane Austen novel quite the same again.
June 30, 2015
A mature and witty Jane Austen portrayed here...by Olivia Williams. Mostly she stays real to what some of us might imagine based on what is known abut her life and family.
This is a deeper portrayal than the still charming "Becoming Jane" movie.
December 13, 2014
this movie puts a bittersweet smile on my face somehow
July 21, 2014
Beautiful and interesting movie, bitter-sweet as life itself... The actors were great too...:)
½ June 29, 2013
Watched it just because Tom hiddleston has a small part in it.
May 19, 2012
This is a great film about Jane Austen's life. Her later life. I enjoyed Becoming Jane, but I realize it was an elaboration of her life. This movie was the closest to her life that I assume they could have gotten from the remains of her letters. Loved it
½ December 25, 2011
Olivia Williams portrayed Jane Austen exactly as I have imagined her for many years. Yes, there's a sad ending, but it's to be expected.
½ October 1, 2011
This was a very good story. I am not sure how much is truthfully taken from Austen's letters, but if you watch this as you would any other story told by Jane Austen you are sure to enjoy it.
August 13, 2011
Exquisite and reflective with outstanding camera work this movie leaves you with a profound appreciation for Jane Austen's genius
½ April 14, 2011
Olivia Williams give Austen such spirit that's it hard not to get carried along. Plays out like one of her novels which can only help. Pretty well done across the board but Williams is the standout.
½ March 5, 2011
It's not easy to find a husband even Jane Austen have problems.
February 26, 2011
I am never sure about these works of fiction based on real life people - ie. taking liberties with their stories but this was well-done and well-acted and taken as a piece of fiction, very watchable and certainly well-cast.
½ December 31, 2010
Rich multifaceted portrayal of the later Jane Austen - beautifully acted and filmed. Very enjoyable for any but the most rigid Janeites!
December 13, 2010
Really well done portrayal of the waning years of Jane Austen's life, but not the sort of thing you'd want to watch if you need cheering up.
½ October 4, 2010
Siempre es un placer volver a encontrarse con Austen, ya sea a través de sus novelas, series, o películas en torno a su figura, es como una amiga a la que cada cierto tiempo te apetece volver a ver :)
½ October 3, 2010
I love Jane Austen so it would have to be absolutely dreadful for me to not like it. It's a Masterpiece Theater film.
June 3, 2010
'Mme. Bigeon: [late at night, both in nightgowns; strong French accent] My friend in Paris has read a wonderful new book called 'Raison and Sensibilite' Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility? Mme. Bigeon: My friend says, whoever the woman is who wrote this book, she knows more about love than anyone else in the world. Jane Austen: Like someone who can't cook writing a recipe book Mme. Bigeon: Passion is for the young. It fades so quickly. Jane Austen: [wistfully] Not in our dreams Mme. Bigeon: Comfort remains, friendship remains, if you are lucky as I was. Jane Austen: Happiness in marriage remains a matter of chance. Mme. Bigeon: But the fuss we make about who to choose. And love still dies and money still vanishes. And, spinster, lover, wife, every woman has regrets. So we read about your heroines and feel young again. And in love. And full of hope. As if we can make that choice again. Jane Austen: And do it right this time'
'Jane Austen: [reads to Cassandra from first draft of Persuasion] More than seven years were gone since this little history of sorrowful interest had reached its close; Jane Austen: She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.She had used him ill, deserted and disappointed him; and worse, she had shewn a feebleness of character in doing so, which his own decided, confident temper could not endure. She had given him up to oblige others. Jane Austen: She hoped to be wise and reasonable in time; but alas! alas! she must confess to herself that she was not wise yet. Cassandra Austen: I don't know how you have say it without tears. Jane Austen: I don't cry at anything that pays me money.'
April 21, 2010
I love these period movies. I was born at the wrong time.
½ March 16, 2010
This movie was pretty good. I enjoyed the cast, the setting & scenery. It was a little slow in parts but a good movie for Austen fans.