Miss Bala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Bala Reviews

½ August 21, 2013
Kind of tense but only because the main character is stupid. Great shots but ultimately not interesting enough to keep you engaged beyond the boredom of why things are actually happening. I was questioning the lead character's actions the whole movie. Not realistic and sadly kind of boring.
½ June 30, 2013
2012 is certainly off to a rousing start. First PARIAH and now MISS BALA a staggering film about the cost of Mexico's drug war on the innocent. Abused by the drug lords and exploited by the government and the police, Mexico's citizenry is paying the real cost of the war on drugs. MISS BALA is the perfect metaphor for a people. Superbly acted, directed, and scored, go see MISS BALA now!
½ May 23, 2013
Me gusto, cruda, pero nada más cierto que la realidad
May 9, 2013
it was legit! I didn't even mind reading subtitles!
April 14, 2013
A regional beauty pageant contestant becomes, through sheer happenstance, a pawn in the Mexican drug wars. By staying with her point of view, the film very effectively conveys the helplessness and confusion of the victim/protagonist. The movie is so dispassionate, however, that I didn't really care about what was happening.
April 10, 2013
I really didn't care for this movie. It seemed to move at a snail's pace, with a lot of drifting cinematography. By the film's end I didn't care what happens to the main character.
½ April 8, 2013
beklemmend und absolut sehenswert
March 29, 2013
Drug crime in Mexico is explored in this terrifying thriller,but just don't expect to be blown away by its depiction of Mexico's corrupt, lawless townships.
½ March 20, 2013
a difficult movie to watch, to travel into the depths of the horrid dragging her innocence into its darkness - just tough to take
March 14, 2013
It has moments that border on brilliance but its oddly paced and distant, which keeps the audience from caring about the characters.
½ February 19, 2013
Be careful what you wish for. Getting it in Tijuana can be a whole lot more complicated than you thought. Why is it Bala and not Baja? Because "bala" means "bullet" and "bale". Based on real life Miss Sinaloa, this "strange and eerie noir" "offers a grim subject with neither flash nor sentiment." "Miss Bala is full of virtuoso single-take tracking shots and over-the-shoulder perspectives that effectively convey a sense of menace and momentum." "Sigman's tremulous, vivid performance anchors the movie. It's a knockout."
February 14, 2013
very slow movieee... not a good movie... horrible directing... bad quality... don't waste your money!
February 4, 2013
Worth seeing for its gorgeous use of camera movement alone. A slow brewing, haunting thriller that comes close to pure brilliance but is hampered by a somewhat muddled story.
½ February 3, 2013
The most annoyingly frustrating film I have ever seen. A pretentious filmmaker who likes to shoot peoples hair from behind the entire film. A decent story a good actress wasted in this arthouse film full of long tracking shots of people from behind.
February 3, 2013
Good movie! Great performances! Such a cruel vision of the real life in mexico
January 9, 2013
I could swear that I had already reviewed this piece but Flixster still has it on my "want to see" list so here we go again. With shades of Traffic and Maria Full of Grace, we have Miss Bala which has similar storylines. Perhaps it is unnecessary to get into themes so richly covered by those previous films but Miss Bala gives us the unique, and possibly true, angle of the beauty queen working for criminals. It works out nicely.
January 4, 2013
A story of a girl who wants to win paegent gets stuck to the terrorists. A nice film.
December 17, 2012
???????? ?? '??? ??? ????????!
December 15, 2012
Pésima cinta mexicana que refleja un México sin esperanza por el novedoso tema del narcotráfico en el último sexenio. Aburrida, llena de violencia y pretenciosa en querer mostrar todas las formas de operar del narco. Pareciera que las ultimas películas mexicanas quieren copiar le violencia de Alex de la Iglesia en Perdita Durango para proponerle y darle ideas al narco y hacerse de fama. Espantosas actuaciones. Solo para los fans del tema.