Miss Firecracker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Firecracker Reviews

½ November 18, 2014
September 12, 2014
An absolutely charming story about small town life in the south. Not big themes, but sweet and touching nonetheless. Steenbergen and Hunter are fantastic and 20 years later I'm still quoting them. Woodard is also terrific- as are all the supporting cast. Best pageant film I've seen (and not just a pageant film). The scene at the end w/ Carnelle and the dress is SO unexpected. Writer and actors nailed it! This is not "The Tree of Life", but I really love this little movie!
½ February 23, 2013
A heartwarming tale about the difference between dreams and reality with a shining performance by Holly Hunter in her prime and a great cast, this film really exposes small town life and the often smaller people in it. In some ways, Miss Firecracker reminds me of A Member of the Wedding, because both involve small town girls who buy into the ruling elite's version of what they should become to "be somebody." The difference is that in "Miss Firecracker," Holly Hunter's character breaks away from trying to fit that mold all on her own, which is what makes this film.
½ April 17, 2012
Two big names, Holly Hunter and Tim Robbins, unfortunately do not save this boring piece of lackluster storytelling (based on a play), except perhaps Tim Robbin's character defending his sister's honor at the judging pageant towards the end.
July 24, 2011
You know that phrase, 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'? Well it doesn't apply in this case. Despite Holly Hunter, Tim Robbins, two actors who've been in Star Trek (including Lieutenant Commander Data) and a whole load of other people with impressive histories, this film was boring. Maybe I'm just not 'southern States of America' enough, but watching some woman with an inferiority complex wanting to win a beauty pageant, just isn't very interesting. By the end I really couldn't care less about any of the characters. It's a shame a few Klingons didn't beam down; it would have livened things up no end. Oh, it was supposed to be a comedy too, but it wasn't actually funny either. No decapitations and no cats. Top badass moment: Delmount Williams (Tim Robbins) running into the crowd during the judging at the pageant, to beat up some lowlife that was heckling and throwing stuff at his sister (Holly Hunter). Defending your family's honour is (nearly) always badass, (especially if everyone is looking). 4 out of 10.
April 1, 2011
A heartwarming film about overcoming past hurts and living more freely. Excellent performances, especially Alfre Woodard in a supporting role.
½ August 20, 2009
Can't believe I sat through the whole thing!
August 4, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that holly hunter, mary steenburgen, tim robbins, alfre woodard, scott glenn, veanne cox play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because its a wonderfully directed movie its really well acted....this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie....this is a good movie 2 watch
½ August 3, 2009
Nice characters and a good take on a quirky southern State town. Not really cute, but fairly quaint.
½ July 14, 2009
Totlly believable performances in a movie that is sometimes painful to watch.
June 9, 2009
One of Holly Hunters best. The movie is so unbelievably heart wrenching. You so want Carnelle to succeed but each time she tries to step ahead she is followed with disappointment and failure. Great story.
½ November 28, 2008
Holly Hunter, again, playing the hell out of a character that you can't help but root for. Hunter plays Carnelle, a local girl with a rep for being 'easy'. The story is about Carnelle's quest to win the local beauty pageant and be Miss Firecracker. Should be required viewing for girls...and guys actually. Everyone could learn something. An excellent movie.
August 21, 2008
this movie is hilarious...especially the four-eyed seamstress played by alfre woodard!!! you'll love it, i promise! the director is named thomas schlamme...tommy schlamme, ha ha. holly hunter is perfect, as usual...and tim robbins is great!
½ July 1, 2008
Nice slice of Americana.
½ April 16, 2008
A well-cast but poorly constructed adaptation which managed to completely miss the hilarity of the original.
½ March 21, 2008
This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.
March 6, 2008
I think the cast Is perfect. I love Tim Robbins's character allot when he Is craping up dogs.
February 16, 2008
in collection...have not seen it
November 14, 2007
I love this movie. When I'm down, all I have to do is think about Popeye Jackson to pick up my spirits. For me, this a true representation of the south.
November 12, 2007
Miss Firecracker is a spirited lark that almost happily survives most missteps; it's shot through with enchantment.