Miss Hokusai (Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai) Reviews

• May 01, 2019

This was a bit of a slow paced anime with some very mildly amusing scenes, but for me the animation was the best thing going here. The classic rock music in the intro was super out of place though, seeing as this takes place in 19th century Japan.. but yeah, not bad.

• Mar 27, 2019

A charming depiction of Japanese folklore.

A charming depiction of Japanese folklore.

• Jan 20, 2018

interesting animated movie from Studio Ghibli looking at the life of a young lady in Japan in the early 1800's

• Dec 17, 2017

Day to day life of a historical figure in Japan. The family was creating great paintings so the animators took special care to create scenes of rare beauty. Not much adventures but lots of thoughts and details make the film very alive. The film leaves our subjects a bit early and the epilogue is brushed over quickly it seems. But we witnessed a passage of time.

• Dec 15, 2017

Beautiful and well written movie!

Beautiful and well written movie!

• Oct 22, 2017

A feature that gets by solely on its animated details, "Miss Hokusai" never invested me as emotionally as well as it did visually.

• Oct 21, 2017

Beautiful anime both for lovers of traditional anime and the artists known as Katsushika Hokusai and his daughter Katsushika Oi. The artwork that Hokusai is most known for is called The Great Wave. It is almost a puzzle hunt, looking for the art among the beautiful images of this film. Hokusai focused artwork on landscapes and images of Japanese people from all levels of society. However, this is primarily an anime about family, living your life and dedication. While there is a sadness, the movie does end on a positive feeling. No doubt assisted by the soundtrack. The details of Hokusai's life are not in documentary/fact format, but the viewer will get a true feel for his art and life by just watching and absorbing.

• Aug 16, 2017

Well animated with a vibrant colour palette, the visuals are lovely to look at and the attention to detail concerning the surroundings is impressive and really allows you to immerse yourself in that period, but while the subject matter is an unusual and refreshing breath of fresh air, the presentation feels somewhat disjointed and doesn't flow very smoothly. The film opts to show the everyday life and struggle of an artist (a lot of discarded sketches, trying to find some sort of inspiration etc.) and doesn't put a lot of focus on the triumphs and successes, instead putting Miss Hokusai's relationships with others front and centre. Unfortunately, it didn't make for engaging viewing and, apart from a couple of scenes, lacked emotion and impact. In the end, it feels like the film's reach exceeds its grasp and the appropriately contemplative tone that it strives for is just not there -- watching how Miss Hokusai deals with subjects such as family, love, intimacy and the supernatural, as well as how these things affected her as a woman and a female artist in 19th century Japan, should have been a lot more interesting than it was. I can't tell you it's bad, or even that it's not enjoyable in parts; it's just not great.

• Aug 09, 2017

The animation for this movie was outstanding. The story on the other hand though felt a bit jumbled. It was a collection of short stories all gathered into one movie.

• Aug 03, 2017

Miss Hokusai after thoughts: a huge fan & follower of Japanese art, this film was well received by me. The drawing & anime depicted throughout the story was gracefully orchestrated. Favorite art piece by the famed artist Hokusai or Tetsuzo, "The Great Wave off Kanagawa," is shown in this film that was a true Plus! Story was easy to follow but adult themed in nature. Something about the whole film reminded me of my passion for Okinawa & I enjoyed the characters. The rock music at some points was a bit distracting but overall do recommend watching for any Japanese fans. Thank you, Jacksonville Public Library! ????????????.5 of 5 (3.5 of 5)