Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day Reviews

September 30, 2016
I enjoyed this one very much because of the cast, particularly Adams and McDormand. The movie is fun and entertaining, worth a watch!
January 31, 2016
One of our family classics. For a champagne comedy it has a surprising amount of layers. The performances are fantastic, and everything happens under the shadow of WW2 starting just the next day.

It really has the feel of dancing on the Titanic with the bright-eyed people enjoying their pleasures as the darkness comes closer. we've seen it several times and still catch telling details that add to the narrative.

Full stars. Great film.
January 23, 2016
was fun initially but after that charm faded, it became a chore
½ December 31, 2015
Nyeh, it's all right.
November 19, 2015
This lively, hysterical comedy is the best film I've seen in years. Amy Adams has an amazing sense of comic timing and some truly heartfelt nuanced moments that gives her performance true depth. Absolutely, loved it.
½ October 15, 2015
Holds A Unique Entertaining Swagger. A Production Design On Par With A Baz Lhurman Lark, The Lite Comic Relief Keeps You Interested, With A Shakespearean 'Comedy Of Errors' Spark..But It's Purely For The Adult Market, Anyone Under 22yrs Will Just Find It Plain Boring.
September 13, 2015
OK, maybe I'm an old sap, but I loved this movie. It's a throwback to the old screwball comedies and it is as good as they were. The film is perfectly cast - Frances McDormand and Amy Adams are their usual fantastic selves. Ciaran Hinds and Lee Pace are also excellent. It's also a beautiful film to look at. The costume and set designs are beautiful. Just a lot of fun.
September 1, 2015
This might be a cute one. I'll probably rent it later.
August 28, 2015
This film manages to capture the charm of classic screwball comedies without seeming "cheesy." Amy Adams completely commits to her over-the-top character and manages to play her both sincere and likeable, while Frances McDormand gives a commendable performance as the downtrodden governess who has seen more than her share of misfortune but still manages to crack a smile. Both have excellent comedic timing, and the recurring bit of physical comedy on the part of McDormand had me giggling. Overall these two fine actors bring both sympathetic and hilarious performances to this film, and had me laughing through most of it. Really enjoyed this one!
July 14, 2015
Screwball fun! McDormand and Adams took their parts and ran with them.
June 28, 2015
Totally underrated. It's adorable. Both female leads are wonderful, Amy Adams especially captivating. Funny and very smart :)
June 6, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this film! A great period piece starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams; the big band music of the late 30's and 40' is a great sound track to own. The portrayal of the young women and the older women trying to survive in a time of change - is very interesting and done with great humor.
½ June 1, 2015
Ciaran Hinds and Frances McDormand :)
April 16, 2015
Delightful and fun to watch, but it could have used just a bit more depth considering we are in London and Nazi bombers are overhead. Frances McDormand is a hard luck woman who stumbles into a high society job as the secretary for American starlet Amy Adams. Borderline slapstick ensues as Amy maneuvers between men and parties with the help of Francis, but, it is the relationship between Frances and Ciaran Hinds (Persuasion, Mayor of Casterbridge) that holds the most interest. Great use of period music and costumes, but much of the dialogue is way too snappy for the period. It's all light as a feather and recommended as such.
½ March 18, 2015
Wonderfully fun film!
½ March 16, 2015
It does have a bit of a chick-flick feel to it, but refuses to allow the characters to be one-dimensional. Miss Pettigrew Lives is charming, funny, and just a real treat.
February 22, 2015
Delightful! A wonderful period piece about generation gaps and perspectives. As England faces another world war, a sheltered, old fashioned unemployable nanny is thrust into the glitz and glamour world of fashion and infidelity. A moral compass, she traverses this landscape, helping to secure truth, direction and love for her employer and herself
November 15, 2014
Old-timey, fun movie to watch!
½ August 31, 2014
Beautiful picture, touching characters, very well produced. Finally a lesser rounded character for Amy Davis.
August 29, 2014
3/5 ---A cutesy movie about the choice of love in our life, and what we choose to sacrifice our future selves or not for he present.

Amy Adams and Frances McDormand are wonderful in it :) a change of pace from my usual dark moods.