Miss Potter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Potter Reviews

½ May 27, 2014
charming and touching. The landscapes are breathtaking.
May 20, 2014
I've always considered Renée Zellweger to be average actress. She's talented, but she's picked many questionable projects that simple didn't have any resonance with me. However, with Miss Potter, a biography drama film on the life of children author Bellatrix Potter ranks as her finest piece of work of her career. With an entertaining, rich story, the film is a well paced picture that is engaging from the first moment right up to end. Zellwegger does some great work here, and of all her films that I have seen of hers, this is her best. She brings a certain charm to her role, and makes it her own and it adds so much depth to overall film that it's easy to forget its flaws. With that being said, the film falls short of what it could have been, as it's a film that is a bit too short. I would love to have seen a longer film of Bellatrix Potter's life, and that's where the film doesn't quite get there. The film tries to add so much content into its run time that some important details of her life are never mentioned. However, Zellwegger's performance is what makes this film so good, and her chemistry that she has with actor Ewan McGregor is quite good, and throughout the film there's a feel atmosphere that really stands out in the film. I quite loved the film, and this one really surprised and I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Aside from its short run time, and the fact they add too much material, which kind of makes the film a bit uneven, overall Miss Potter is a very good movie, one that is a surprising drama that is definitely worth seeing.
May 7, 2014
Love this movie! A bit of fantasy, true love, profession, women, disruption with the parent generation etc.
½ March 16, 2014
Despite full of cliche, the first half is still looking all right. Everything just went downhill after that twist & turn in the middle.
Where is Renee Zellweger now, by the way?
February 8, 2014
I have so much love for this movie. It's beautiful and lighthearted (well, most of it anyway). I could watch it over and over again.
½ December 15, 2013
is this counted as a harry potter movie because Beatrix can be bellatrix in harry potter and Rupert
potter can be ronald weasly because rons real name is rupert grint!
½ December 7, 2013
Watched at home...I really enjoyed this movie. I liked the role Renee Zellweger played as Beatrix Potter. Really liked the whole book project and storyline.
December 1, 2013
only because of ewan mcgregor
November 10, 2013
For me, the story was more worthy of a TV movie. I don't mean to disparage Beatrix Potter's life, but the film became too dialogue-driven and emotional. I think the creative folk tried too hard to make the film bigger than it was by animating Potter's drawings. That device just detracted from the emotional impact of the film.
August 4, 2013
Glossy romance-novel treatment of the childrens author's early life. Renee Zellweger, Emily Watson, and Ewan McGregor have little to do but look endearingly sweet in shot after shot. Slick picture postcard photography backed by a soaring filmscore attempts to make a very little story a very big story. The supporting characters act like walking plot points rather than real people. I felt I knew Beatrix Potter better after ten minutes with the encyclopedia than I did after an hour and a half with this chocolate eclair cooked up out of a great woman's life.
July 20, 2013
Just a small movie for a great artist. Most important: It gives an isnight to the universe of Beatrix Potter - and if you want to know more: Get her books, with the most amazing drawings you can imagine. This woman had a gift. And this gift is still touching hearts.
½ July 12, 2013
Quirky! Enjoyed this character in spite of the actress who bugs me! Remarkable story!
July 12, 2013
niet slecht, maar zo traag dat ik hem niet af kan kijken...
June 4, 2013
I like the books, but zellweger's accent is not getting any better.
June 4, 2013
It was FABULOUS! I must have it! :-)
June 1, 2013
The storyline isn't that exciting, but the presence of Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, along with beautiful shots of the English countryside makes this really worth watching. Plus the animated parts were a cute touch!
½ May 31, 2013
May 30, 2013
Renée Zellweger is a disaster. A totally artificial and preposterous performance.
May 30, 2013
A typical biopic that tells the story and captures the charm (albeit in the most superficial of ways) of an interesting and unique figure. The problem is that its telling of the story is mundane and strangely empty and there's nothing in the end that you can take from it. Its a normal and average film by all accounts and sometimes that's enough but not with a biopic- if you have an interesting person, you'd better have an interesting film for them and this is not it.

Its far too 'laughs and smiles' at first which I can only awesome is not how it was for a woman trying to publish a book in the early 1900s. It takes the shape of a romance for the most part and its achingly obvious and predictable in its depiction of that relationship but its still not terrible to watch, I wouldn't say engrossing but it adequately passes the time.

The performances fit the feel of the film which means that they don't demand much from us, neither does the script but its watchable if you can deal with its many mundane aspects. Zellweger seems to have received a lot of the criticism but I don't think her performance is any more 'kids movie' than everyone else's here. Sure, it certainly fails as the kind of performance we expect in a biopic but that isn't solely the fault of Zellweger- its the fault of the bland and extremely limited film she happens to be in. No actress could save this film, Zellweger's mistake was agreeing to be in it. (McGregor's mistake was the same along with the moustache by the way.)

It certainly had the feel of a family film and I can see younger viewers taking an interest in it along with it being relatively fine for the whole family. It looks to have been aiming for a very typical film of sorts and that's not an insult- its well-executed and meets the requirements of such a film but biopics should never be just typical in my view.

There's not much imagination to it which is a shame considering its topic, in that sense its a pretty poor representation of Potter- its by all means acceptable to watch, nothing more, but its definitely a bit too tidy and neat to be beyond average in any way.

Its overflowing with twee here and the story in the end is neither compelling nor that interesting and that's another disappointment with this one. At every step it keeps itself covered and by the end of it its struggling to breathe and stuck at a standstill. The viewer is left with a similar feeling and it does make it hard to deal with for an hour and a half. That's the real problem with this one- I didn't expect anything serious from this one and I guess the tweeness etc. would appeal to some but its still not an interesting film- the romance is straight out of the 'movie-making for Dummies' introduction and the script is no better. The fact that the performances happily join in with this feel is the nail in the fluffy coffin- its not a successful fairytale story because it follows every other fairytale story and no good fairytale should lack imagination but this one feels ultimately lifeless.
May 23, 2013
Oh my God, so incredibly depressing. Renee Zellweger is so cute in this role.