Miss Representation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Representation Reviews

December 28, 2013
This is streaming on Netflix so you don't have an excuse to miss this movie. It is the most accessible movie on the subject of women's portrayal in the media to date. Media literacy is incredibly important.
½ November 28, 2013
A documentary about the biased image of women in the US media. Not the best made documentary ever, far from neutral and objective, then again these rarely are. Might help raise some conversation about the issue but unfortunately people who watch opinionated documentaries usually are already interested in the topic and those who really should watch them don't..

So all you 18-34y white heterosexual males (hey, that's me!) watch it (ignoring the weaknesses) and try to make even a little difference.
October 25, 2013
Although it makes its point within the first half hour, it is very powerful viewing, especially for young people learning about media literacy and the gross misrepresentation of women in the media.
½ October 13, 2013
Big fan of muckraking, but most of the women in this doc. have made a lot of money off their looks and now they want to turn around and say "respect my brain." Bonus insult, Katie Couric extolling the sisterhood -- wasn't she the one who asked Sarah Palin what magazines (if any) did she read.
½ September 11, 2013
I do understand Twilight's director comments about how she put Twilight into success but I don't think Twilight is a good example of strong women.
½ September 3, 2013
An extremely important feminist response to modern media and women in power. Truly eye-opening.
September 2, 2013
This is a must see for teenage girls from age 12 to 18. It is so relevant to understanding the impact of the over sexualization of girls and women in the media. Moms, watch with your daughters!
½ August 25, 2013
I think everybody should watch this documentary. Although it is obviously very one sided it has alot of valid points and makes you think, seriously stop and think about how woman are portrayed in the media and the lack of serious female rolemodels their are out there.
½ August 21, 2013
My distaste for "Miss Representation" has nothing to do with anti-feminist thoughts or even my disagreeing with some of the points made in this film; rather, I feel that this is a documentary with a good message that is presented in the wrong way to draw in its target audience. The target audience of this film are mothers and daughters and I wish that I could encourage all parents to watch this film, but the lack of censorship would prevent me from recommending this to a lot of adults that I know. I think that most parents need to reconsider the types of things that their children are exposed to through television and the internet but this film isn't clean enough to reach all of those parents. This film could also be very empowering to young girls but then it shows the images that the documentary is encouraging parents to shelter their children from seeing. It seems that the creators of this documentary would want parents to share this message with their children but a "good parent" (by the film's definition) shouldn't encourage their children to watch a film with a 40-second montage of news headlines about children being raped. I agree with many of the points made in this film but the lack of censorship makes it seem like feminist propaganda. I also felt my attention waning as the film progressed. Many of the statistics stated in this documentary are interesting and convincing, but the format of a short interview clip followed by several written statistics on the screen grows tiresome after a while. Good thought, poor execution, misplaced logic.
½ June 4, 2013
Miss representation started off well with a true story, but then it suddenly became political and went straight down hill. Although the film has a nice message, it was biased, manipulative, ignorant and inconsiderate. Just by interviewing people with no real qualifications and throwing clearly biased stats will not make the educated viewers more sympathetic towards the real issue. Why is the film only focusing on Hollywood? There are more than just Hollywood and California in this world please. The film really needed a direction, it wasn't going anywhere and keeps circling around the same themes. The editing was probably the worst part of the film, even a 3 year old can do a better job than the editor of the film. It is informative and all that but trust no liberal films.
½ April 28, 2013
While the interviews are extremely valuable, and the some of the stories highlighting girls' lives are great, I found the format of this documentary mediocre at best and was too distracted by that overall. Also, perhaps its just since its from 2011, and also because I was already interested in this topic, but there were too many occasions where I felt like I was being told things I already knew. If they could recut this to just celebrity and teen girl interviews, I think I would have liked it a lot more.
April 7, 2013
I've been dealing with self-esteem issues of late. I know that logically what's inside should matter more than what's outside, but I find my self in a cycle of negative thinking. This film made me realize that if I can't get it together, I will project my negative thinking onto others, including my newborn niece.
March 6, 2013
A compelling documentary on how the media constructs women in society and culture and prevents them from holding positions of authority.
½ October 20, 2012
Absolutely riveting and illuminating. Everyone should see this movie!
July 6, 2012
This documentary is so powerful. It's great to see women in positions of influence contributing to this fascinating piece, and while the statistics made me uncomfortable (we have an incredible amount of work to do in this country to combat media portrayals of women), these stories aren't talked about enough.
June 10, 2012
Everyone needs to see this film! I was deeply moved, inspired, enraged and brought to tears throughout those 85 minutes.
May 30, 2012
Like any other opinion-piece you must sift out the over the top stuff and take it for what it's actually worth. It started to get a little repetitive but there was a good message deep in there somewhere, even if it wasn't presented well.
May 25, 2012
Everyone must see this documentary with their sons and daughters! Women are portrayed as sexualized objects in the media which sets up young girls to feel that they can't live up to these ideals. This lack of self esteem permeates all levels of society resulting in a dearth of women in positions of leadership and power. Hopefully, this movie will raise awareness and empower young women to lean into their power and bring their gifts to the world.
May 19, 2012
Miss representation is probably one of the best documentaries I've seen in the last couple of months. It's how media portrait women and how affects our future generations. I't s a very good documentary that I feel a lot of women need to experience
May 14, 2012
If you have not watched this movie yet, get your hands on it and watch it as soon as possible -- a must see for everyone, but especially parents.