Mission: Impossible 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission: Impossible 2 Reviews

jamrcla
½ June 22, 2016
Every film that does well at the box office and gets praise from critics usually gets a sequel and ruins the first and M:I 2 is no different, Ok the story was good and told well but it never felt like an M:I film, John Woo was a bad choice of director as he never strayed far enough from his king fu movies and it showed in the action scenes with OTT fights and stunts that ruined the best parts of the film plus adding in slow motion only made them look faker and the silly mistakes that could of been avoided didn't help either, Yes there was a great twist at the end that almost made up for the action but it's the outcast of the M:I series and is only part of the series because it has the name and the reprising cast nothing else fitted, Plus Tom Cruise's long hair was annoying too, Don't get me wrong it's not a bad film it's just a bad M:I film.
June 20, 2016
Mission Impossible 2, felt really odd considering how intriguing the first movie was. The action looks good, but the main character feel like a completely different person and the story itself feels odd. Overall it's watchable but.. doesn't feel what one would expect on the sequel.
½ June 9, 2016
Much slower and less interesting than the rest of the franchise. Although, Thandi is very worth watching.
½ May 3, 2016
If you're a fan of the series it's hard not to enjoy some parts of this especially because Tom Cruise is in his element and the soundtrack is awesome. However I do think this is the weakest in the series.
April 2, 2016
Takes itself way too seriously, there's no sense of fun or suspense. Ethan is a god who does impossible things with too much ease. I'm a fan of the series, this one stands out as the only bad entry.
½ February 14, 2016
This movie is the worst in the MI franchise. Tom Hank's performances is great as usual, but the plot makes the movie seem like a wannabe spy movie. Every villain has some kind of origin story or a reason why they are doing there evil deeds. This spy villain's origin is even worse than a comic villain. He's literally doing this whole virus thing because "every hero needs a villain". They're doing this hero and villain thing in a spy movie?! I like superheroes and superhero movies...but you can't just mix these two genres together or it'll add up to a cheesy and regretful result.
February 7, 2016
Mission Impossible 2 has good action and is fun, but it's so stupid and makes me laugh hard even though I shouldn't be laughing.
½ February 1, 2016
Well, I just reviewed the first one, so you had to know the second one was sure to follow. That is the draw of these films, every one likes them for different reasons, and as soon as you watch one, you want to see them all. Despite the old line about sequels, personally, I liked this one a lot better than the first. The story line was much closer to what I expected to see from this franchise, and this time, John Woo was Directing. I generally don't care for his writing, but when it comes to Directing action films, he's one of the best. In the second installment of Mission: Impossible, Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is after a former agent, but not quite sure about what he's planning to do. As he follows the trail, Ethan learns the man has developed a deadly virus, and Ethan's mission, should he choose to accept it, is to save the day. Tom Cruise is his usual self and the action sequences are textbook John Woo, so why is this rated 3 1/2 stars you may ask? The answer is the storyline, because in a film like this, where it's all about special effects and hot bodies, the only thing that makes it different from a million other pictures is the story, and this one hits the nail on the head.
January 24, 2016
Not a bad movie if you are just looking for great action but mentally it's hard for me to accept this movie as a sequel to the original because it feels too atheistically and tonally different. Heck, it feels that way even compared to the movies that came afterwards. Where the original DePalma classic aimed for a classy Hitchockian presentation, MI 2 (Helmed this time around by action movie legend John Woo) is more in keeping with over-the-top James Bond films of the 90's...except more EXTREME!!! (Needless to say, this entry has not aged quite as well as it's predecessor) Okay, I won't mince words, the story is ultra-silly and over-the-top. That's to be expected from John Woo, who is the King of over-the-top, except here it goes too far at times, especially in the film's draggy third act complete with a drawn-out motorbike chase and Street Fighter-esque acrobatic fights. Decent viewing if you are just looking for great action, but otherwise this is arguably the most skippable entry in the MI franchise.
½ January 24, 2016
Mission: Impossible II is a bad movie. It has awful and uninspired action, forgettable characters and some awful choices, but it is most of all just so boring to watch. It is the worst entry in the franchise and it is much worse than the already pretty weak first film.
January 23, 2016
The sequel to the spy hit fails to keep the fizzling fun after it settles into its characters, relying on action to distract from its writing.

Full Review: Mission Impossible 2 is pretty much has the feel of its title - The same as the original, but with a 'been there done that' feel. It has great action from start to finish (albeit over the top sometimes), but has a simple, generic plot. The romance we expected is nothing more than a couple good looking people saying bad dialogue to each other. However, its grand action sequences undoubtedly give escapism from the mediocre script.
½ January 20, 2016
A completely different change of pace and tone from the rest of the movies, but it's much more thrilling.
January 18, 2016
John Woo brings Mission Impossible to an embarrassing low with this installment. Though not without its moments, This mission is full of cartoonish action sequences and bland acting.
January 18, 2016
The first movie's plot was hard to follow, it was confusing at times...but it was a fun movie with plenty of good action scenes and memorable moments. This movie's plot is so damn simple and generic that it hurts. A mad man, a former IMF agent, has acquired a bio-weapon, and he will unleash it on the world for lots of money! It's up to Ethan Hunt to stop him! There's little here that you haven't seen in many other, much better, action films. Cruise isn't playing the same part either, he is playing Hunt as if he were Tom Cruise. And then all of the supporting characters (good guys or bad guys) are so underdeveloped that I could care less about them. Sure Luther wasn't all that developed in the first one, but all he does here is complain about his expensive clothes getting messed up. The girl could've been any really attractive actress, since her looks were all we focused on. The villain was just a maniacal mad man with no real purpose. Then Hunt has recruited some Australian guy that we don't ever get to know. Sure the action can be well executed, but it was also pointless since I didn't care about the plot, characters, or anything that was going on.
½ January 11, 2016
If they didn't use so much slow mo this movie would be half an hour shorter and a lot better. But still entertaining.
½ January 8, 2016
Now that James Bond has gone down a more serious dark road, Mission Impossible picks up the tonge in check gauntlet that left with Roger Moore's retirement. It does it very well in my opinion. I'm not sure why this particular episode doesn't seem to be rated highly. It is the best one of the first 4 I reckon. I'd like to know how some of the scenes were done, like the opening scenes of Cruiso free climing a very dangerous rock-face. I have just really got into these films and I have to say, I like em.
½ January 7, 2016
51/100 - As much as I like the M:I franchise and Tom Cruise's performance as Ethan Hunt, this second installment just feels off. It feels like a combination of Bond and The Matrix, a blend that suits John Woo's incredibly stylistic direction but not this franchise. There's plenty of moments of superb direction of well-choreographed action in the third act, but it takes so long to get there that I was left wanting much more. It's not evenly paced at all, and the story can't be taken seriously either.
½ January 1, 2016
This is a decent enough mindless action movie with a lot of over the top action but it is not really a Mission Impossible movie. The movie starts of reasonably well being somewhat intelligent with a bit of Mission Impossible feel to it. It is actually almost a bit slow at times. However, for the second half of the movie it really degrades into a classical John Woo, over the top, action feast with all pretense of intelligence and any true Mission Impossible feel gone. John Woo is not the right person to make a Mission Impossible movie.

As with the first movie if it would not have been labelled Mission Impossible I would probably have given it a higher rating since it is a decent enough, mostly braindead though, Hollywood action movie. However, I have higher expectations from a movie labelled Mission Impossible.

Tom Cruise is quite okay as Ethan Hunt. Dougray Scott is okayish as the bad guy. Sometimes he projects the right big bad and mad bad-guy attitude but sometimes he is just silly and just as over the top as the action scenes. He is supposed to be a mastermind but he comes out as a thug a' la a not so intelligent drug baron in many scenes.

The action scenes? Well, they are classical John Woo material. Fast paced with a lot of stunts and things that go boom. They are also, as expected, hugely over the top and unbelievable. They provide a enjoyable visual experience but, as I wrote above, they are not really what I would expect from a Mission Impossible movie.

The romance between Hunt and Nyah is the typical Hollywood, let's throw in a sexy girl and some superficial attraction, which develops from get lost to I love you in the matter of a few hours of contact, between the lead character and the girl. Meh!

I get the impression that the people that have created these movies so far have not really watched a single full season of Mission Impossible.
½ December 30, 2015
An action movie that wants to be a romance. Sounded good on paper. But when the leads don't have any discernable chemistry, you're sunk. And when you then add pedestrian action, a disappointment is the result.
½ December 9, 2015
This movie is really stupid and is a huge letdown to the franchise.