Mission To Lars Reviews

• Aug 05, 2018

The main protagonist, Tom Spicer, provides the jeopardy despite himself, and therefore the motor of the narrative, but it feels like it is missing the 'final reel' where we learn how the experience has changed them - it seems a long journey to go on without that.

• Jul 09, 2017

Wonderful film that shows us how autism can affect people in real world situations.

• Nov 14, 2015

A truly wonderful, moving and uplifting documentary.

A truly wonderful, moving and uplifting documentary.

• Aug 12, 2015

An emotional road trip with laughter, music and plenty of drama.

An emotional road trip with laughter, music and plenty of drama.

• Aug 07, 2015

This film changed my life - partly because I made it but mainly because it helped my brother who has a learning disability discover a whole new world that most of us might take for granted. It also taught me the incredible power music has over most of us.

• Sep 01, 2014

A beautiful documentary that leaves you smiling. Would have been brilliant with any band but the fact it's Metallica is a plus!

• Jul 17, 2014

Brought a smile to my grumpy face :)

Brought a smile to my grumpy face :)

• Apr 28, 2014

This is a touching documentary which no-one thought would make any impact at all. It was filmed in 2009 where a brother and sister wanted to make their disabled brother's dream come true, and they decided to make a little home film of their little adventure. But, this is a big adventure, and it's a touching, moving and heartwarming documentary about meeting your heroes and family ties. Tom Spicer has a rare form of autism called Fragile X Syndrome, in which he has severe learning difficulties, and he lives in a care home in Bristol. However, Tom has one crumb of comfort in his life, and that's that he's a huge fan of Lars Ulrich from Metallica. Tom's sister Kate and his brother William make him a big promise, and they will take him to meet Lars Ulrich in America. So, they fly out to California, and hire out a motor home and follow Metallica on tour in the hope that Tom will get to meet Lars Ulrich, but because of Tom's condition, poor Tom gets cold feet, but Kate and William are determined for the meeting to happen. Films about mental illnesses can come across as mawkish and sentimental, but there's something very uplifting and joyous about this film, and it's a film about the love of family and how far you'd go to meet a hero, no matter what comes in the way. It's well worth a look, and you don't have to be a fan of Metallica either.

• Feb 17, 2014

A charming low key/self made documentary about brother & sister documenting their journey with their disabled brother to simply meet Metallica's Drummer Lars Ulrich. There isn't a lot to this film it's more the determination of the brother & sister never giving up to get their brother ultimately in front of Lars. Eventually they do get to meet Lars & that scene & the one that follows is quite touching...it's a small film with a big message.

• Dec 27, 2013

A great documentary about a young man with Fragile X Syndrome's families attempts to try and fulfil his dream - to meet Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. Excellently pieced together and heartwarming throughout this is what documentary film making should be.