Mission to Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission to Mars Reviews

September 6, 2016
It was shocking to see that astronaut getting ripped apart in that vortex on Mars! I admire the effort and potential here, but as we get to the ship getting damaged above Mars, it nearly misses me! The pipe organ music sounded too bland in that scene, and I wanted it to stop! Almost a waste of potential from beginning to end.
June 25, 2016
I think its the film's score (and only in places) that puts so many people off - much of the music seems to hark back to some kind of 1960s Sound of Music theme park. The film is visually beautiful, with a lot of good science in the dilemmas, and a really interesting take on our nearest neighbour. I don't think its anywhere near as bad as people on here suggest, but then I didn't want us to leave Europe, and I can't stand the Kardashians - so what do I know.
May 22, 2016
21st century cinema left Brian de Palma behind
December 28, 2015
I always wonder what it's like on Mars. This movie was interesting!
December 27, 2015
it was soo good! I cried at the end
½ December 13, 2015
so I know I saw this before, but can't recall where or when. Somewhat maudlin and the 80's inspired soundtrack was distracting.
December 7, 2015
Interesante e imaginativa obra de ciencia ficción.
½ November 27, 2015
It's kind of a bland mix between The Abyss and Apollo 13 (it even has Gary Sinese in it). It's just an odd, muddled mess of poor storytelling, mediocre visuals, and an underutilized cast of talented actors. It's not terrible, but it's not exactly great either.
October 29, 2015
I honestly think this movie has a good start but then it sort of goes downhill. I like the concept of it all but somehow something else is still missing.
October 12, 2015
Manned mission to Mars uncovers unexpected encounter with alien life. Sluggish first half gives way to a more interesting second half once the rescue mission reaches Mars. Sadly, the alien looks like a cartoon; amazing to consider how much more real the fx looked 25 years before in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.
October 6, 2015
Wow, this was laughably bad, even for science fiction. The score is awful. The dialogue is awful. It was overly schmaltzy, as if the characters had forgotten about all the people who died. Connie Nielsen's flawless American accent gradually morphed into her native Danish accent by the end of the film. The big reveal at the end featured some the worst CGI I've ever seen (even allowing for the fact that it might have been a hologram, but I doubt it, since they all touched it). There was a complete lack of understanding of even the most basic physics. Probably the biggest offender was when Connie flies off to save Tim Robbins and uses 50% of her fuel, having just enough to get her back. Except for momentum. You know when you throw something and it keeps going? I mean what the hell. Children know this.

The movie drags, even during the obligatory something-is-going-wrong scenes. Like a hull breach. You'd think they'd be plugging that in a timely manner, right? Nope. They decide to stand around looking serious and making obvious statements while the pressure drops before moving. There's so little meat to this movie that every scene must be stretched. All it can offer is visuals.

And finally, the plot itself. Why in the hell would one alien stick around, waiting for humans? They really needed to complete a puzzle to prove themselves human? Couldn't it just, I don't know, monitor earth like it was apparently doing all this time? Maybe take a damn DNA sample? They created life, so I think that wouldn't be beyond them. Why does it need a booby trap, and a lethal one at that? And why then would it take just the humans who found it? Why not all humans? Why is it a test? Why create life and then ask it to prove itself. The film portrays it as clearly benevolent, yet its actions are borderline retarded. Will there ever be another ship for more humans to go beyond? Seems unlikely. So what, in effect, is the point of all this?
October 5, 2015
A pretty crazy film. I guess the whole point was to explore Mars for inhabitation but that fails for some reason and then there is some kind of marker being protected by invisible or hidden entities, after later exploration the marker is much more than what people thought it was. The travels and tribulations through space are skipped for the most part and the last half hour of the film are spent focusing on the marker. A fairly difficult plot to follow with a lot of personal struggles the film is fairly interesting and exciting and has a sort of niche feel or approach to it.
½ September 13, 2015
Only marginally better than the OTHER movie about going to Mars, "Red Planet." Seriously, this movie was clearly just a film with the agenda to push the lie of evolution, human transcendence, and panspermia. Rubbish. Newsflash, people: life on earth being seeded by aliens doesn't rebut the debate about God, but merely pushes back the question as to where life came from. Richard Dawkins learned that the hard way while being interviewed by Ben Stein... Not only that, but all of it looked so polished - sets, props, actors' makeup and wardrobe... I was reminded of an NBC mini-series, and that hurt any attempt to come off realistic.
½ September 3, 2015
I thought the concept was great, but lacked in delivery
½ August 30, 2015
Everything about this movie was awful. The sound track for example just didn't seem like it fit this movie. The dialogue seemed like they just made it up as they went along. The visuals were actually quite good, so I guess there was one thing that wasn't awful. The interaction between the "martian" and the human's in the end was so utterly cheesy that I actually laughed out loud. I don't think that's the reaction that De Palma was shooting for. I really wanted to like this movie, it had a great cast and I love sic-fi movies, but alas, the combination of horrible dialogue, terrible sound track, and cheese just made this movie unbearable.
½ July 31, 2015
While it features great visuals, Mission to Mars is a badly crafted sci-fi picture with a cheap script and bad acting
½ May 1, 2015
Horrible movie. The plot starts off intriguing, but quickly becomes a horribly paced, incredibly slow, overly cheesy, and horribly written sci-fi pic. After an initially good idea, it quickly resolves into horrible ideas that are so far out of the park that, even though they're simple, they're incredibly stupid. The performances are terrible as well, all of the actors over-doing it to make up for the bad script.
½ April 2, 2015
"Mission to Mars" must be the most boring science fiction film on Earth.
½ March 21, 2015
A visually decent snooze-fest that has mediocre performances and direction, and a story and ending that were never explained and they never made sense