The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

October 15, 2016
With both its flaws and successes, the Stephen King adaptation 'The Mist' is a relatively successful horror/suspense thriller, with a well-chosen cast (that sometimes felt a bit much like a Walking Dead spin-off) but nonetheless acted finely. For the first 90 mins, it was just above average... but those last 5 minutes, and one of the strongest twist endings I have seen in years boosted the movie hugely. A truly haunting final scene.
Verdict: B+
October 8, 2016
Black and white version is quite disturbing and looks very creepy. The movie itself is shot very clever even though some scenes are absurd and unrealistic in terms of people's behavior.
½ September 26, 2016
One of the most realistic portrayals of humanity I've ever seen. One of the bleakest endings I've ever seen, but it fit the tone of the movie and I approved.
½ September 16, 2016
Wow! What a horrible ending to a movie that lasted way too long. I walked away feeling depressed and in tears. What an awful way to leave a movie. I would never recommend this movie to anyone.
August 30, 2016
Truly terrifying and bizarre with an unsettling feel every time I watch it!
August 29, 2016
Frank Darabont's third adaptation of a Stephen King novel is quite a gut wrenching thriller.
½ August 28, 2016
Dark, nihilistic, and downright frightening at times. Thomas Jane, Toby Jones, and Marcia Gay Harden (as a crazy religious zealot who serves as our frightening human villain) all do fantastic jobs. Some of the CGI is not great, and there is so-so editing at points, but this is definitely one of King's best films thanks to its freaky creatures and pitch-dark, hopeless tone.
August 16, 2016
The first effects were nothing credible , bad appearances and interventions. The rest will reward a good story and a good social position much intrigue , the end does not convince .
August 12, 2016
Some performances were less memorable than others and its plot could be deemed outlandish at times, but the film makes good in instilling a fearful and direct vibe. The Mist's alarming tone, dreadful and tragic sequences is more than enough to wipe away the blemishes. 4/5
½ August 11, 2016
This movie's hilarious.
½ August 8, 2016
The ending ruins it. Rule of thumb... NEVER watch a Stephen King anything because you will just get a water downed version of a book.
August 5, 2016
It was not the unrealistic event of the mist, but rather the realistic human reaction that truly made the film frightening. The Mist is a well crafted thriller based off of Stephen King's novella that delivered its purpose, but lacked the quality that would separate the film to be one of the best. Of course acting and effects could improve, however, the originality and reflection of human nature is what makes this film incredibly enjoyable. 3 Stars.
August 2, 2016
Terrible. Annoying plot, awful cast not even remotely scary.
July 31, 2016
I was tortured for two hours by this drab and boring film. Ending wasn't the best either. Avoid.
jamrcla
July 20, 2016
One of those films that looked ok but never really made an effort to see until now and I must admit the first 40 minutes I found it hard to watch it felt like a B-movie with poor acting and its cheap feel but it did get better as it went on not much better though, The creatures looked a little dated, They don't really go into much detail about why or how they got here, The ending was different and annoying at the same time, As a father I could of never done that I don't think many other people would of too but the ending is what you will remember about this film, That and the fact half of The Walking Dead cast appear in it (Before The Walking Dead was filmed) I found myself needing to watch a comedy film after the ending just to pick me up.
½ July 19, 2016
What is this really comparable to? Imagine gigantic creatures like from Jurassic Park/World essentially come to Earth from another dimension. The way people react will make you clap your head in disbelief or roll your eyes, possibly. I almost wanted to give it a one star rating for the ending which did not feel true to the rest the film and the characters. As it is, I gave it 2.5 stars. It was fun until that twist ending which seemed a nod to the end of the original Night of the Living Dead. Lots of tension and suspense, the acting is fine for a popcorn thriller. I just felt the entire time that people who were supposed to be tough and hardy survivalist types living around a lake with a pull yourself up by your bootstraps and do it yourself mentality who survive around nature all the time, hunt, fish and etc would have been a lot smarter in the way they handled the situation. They would have known basic things about smoking bugs out rather than dangerous fire. Instead, the feeling the movie is written a bit by someone unfamiliar themselves with living out in rural areas would. People would have used insect repellent for goodness sake and other natural easy to find things available as basics. I found it interesting that scientists were blamed and questioned and were responsible for what happened but not one single person there was really a naturalist, scientist, biologist or etc. No one noted, or wrote down the behavior of the animals, creatures from the Mist, or lists of how they interacted. This seemed implausible. One of the first things to note would be what creatures hunted each other.
July 19, 2016
Really good movie but ending was mest up
July 17, 2016
A rare case of the movie being better than the book, which King has even said himself. A nice reminder that Frank Darabont is, hands-down, the cinematic authority on Stephen King.
July 12, 2016
This film is a masterpiece! The Mist is truly a great thriller and a classic. The film focuses more on relationship tension rather then hiding from scary beasts which was a brave and bold choice.