Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) Reviews

½ July 30, 2014
'Hallam Foe' solely depends on the performance of Jamie Bell as the title character and boy does he deliver. As an audience, you are watching a teen growing up in the shadow of his mother's death which causes him to withdraw within himself and create somewhat disturbing fantasies. Hallam Foe even finds his stepmother (Claire Forlani) attractive but changes his mind after he accuses her of killing his mother. Foe is forced to go to Edinburgh in order to make a life for himself. As he pounces from rooftop to rooftop, he notices a woman named Kate (Sophia Mules) who is the spitting image of his late mother. Foe does everything he can to get closer to Kate and in doing so discovers a lot about himself and the truth of his fantasies. As was mentioned, Jamie Bell is terrific. You cannot sympathize for him at the beginning then he gives you moments of less creepy vulnerability that makes you feel sorry for him. I do like the tone and styling this movie takes but the drama sometimes takes a "that escalated quickly" turn. This does not help the film turn into a very good or excellent film but because of Bell's performance, beautifully shot Edinburgh, the nervous sexual tension between Hallam and Kate (played well by Myles), and a nice soundtrack among other things, 'Hallam Foe' manages to still entrance despite its oversteps.
May 5, 2014
Quirky film about a weirdo voyeur and his complex love for his mother.
October 24, 2013
Went into this film not knowing much about it. Jamie Bell is great as a young man still grieving from the death of a loved one reclusing himself form reality and watching people from afar. Its odd its disturbing but all together a very touching story of someone trying to come to terms with the death of a loved one.
September 4, 2013
Interesting, comic, uplifting and brilliant.
September 2, 2013
Hallem is one creepy guy.
June 23, 2013
Mister Foe is uneven and slow but if you can stomach the indie-ness of it, it's a worthwhile coming-of-age tale. Jamie Bell proves to be a growing actor in this Oedipal shoegazer. Nothing remarkable here; just a solid little Scottish film with some heart.
½ May 25, 2013
Sensitively crafted film about coming to terms with a tragedy while growing up...
February 10, 2013
Enjoyable but not a film that stayed long with me afterwards if you know what I mean. Every character in the film is slimey in some way, which I would sometimes welcome, but this time it didnt have a positive effect on the experience.
January 17, 2013
Rubbish. Boring, weirdly spoken, overindulgent, quirky rubbish.
Like having shit rubbed onto your loved ones by an annoying person who can't speak properly.
½ January 13, 2013
A teenage stalker with enough Oedipal issues to make Freud puke in his soup pursues his boss, a sweet but disturbed hotel manager.
What this film lacks most is focus. At the beginning the plot tends toward a thriller/mystery vis-a-vis the possible murder of Hallam's mother, but the most unbelievable circumstances (fucking his step-mother in his tree house) push Hallam to Edinburgh where we meet Sophia Myles's character, Kate. Myles is a beautiful actress, and as Kate she walks with confidence and wherewithal. With hobbies, a fine job, a sense of compassion, and a sociable disposition, Kate seems like she has it all together. Yes, she's fucking her married boss, and yes, she does say, "I like creepy guys," but when Hallam's stalking, amateur spy behavior is revealed, her reaction defies all believability. I can imagine the film becoming a believable story about lost people who find each other and accept each other's fucked-up-ness, but with Myles as Kate and the dead mother plot stopping by every now and then as though it's checking up on how the film is progressing, the film becomes a muddled mess that has its sexy, alluring moments but ultimately sinks into a depravity that we can't follow without suspending every disbelieving bone in our bodies.
Overall, bad casting and worse writing keep this film from being anything worth watching.
January 7, 2013
A very disturbing film
½ December 2, 2012
Not really sure what to say about the film. Sometimes I felt like nothing was going on. Yet other times I feel like that too much was going on. There were plenty of good parts though and Jamie Bell's character is odd, disturbing, yet loveable. I think you might have to be in a certain mood to watch it.
October 24, 2012
Very original story starring Jamie Bell who's obsessed with this girl who looks like his dead mother. Got a few outrageous scences and another architect in it.
September 17, 2012
Very adultish, yet an interesting drama to watch. Well, again its a drama, good to watch when you are bored.
August 28, 2012
Hallam Foe is such a creep, but you will root for him. I don't know how or why
½ July 18, 2012
One of the most interesting, peculiar, and original films I've seen in a long time. Jamie Bell, once again, confirms that he's one of the best yet most underrated young actors working today.
July 1, 2012
the sidekick/mentor from Jumper is a creepy voyeur who thinks his stepmom (Claire Forlani) iced his mom.... then hes creepy some more... then its over without much in between.... another Netflix stinker....
June 9, 2012
as hallam, jamie bell is one messed up oedipal voyeur. which made for a somewhat creepy, but mostly interesting film. some great soundtrack selections, to go with the intriguingly disturbing subject matter. goodbye billy elliot.
April 29, 2012
Excellent film with original storyline. Jamie Bell is just darling and pulls off a very quirky character in this film. Never a dull moment. Enjoyed it immensely.