Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) Reviews

April 23, 2012
This is a great little film that seems to tackle pretty unlikeable and damaged people doing often unlikeable things, yet making the audience care about them at the same time.

Jamie Bell gives a fantastic performance in the title role, a troubled teen grieving the death of his mother, with seemingly endless Oedipal feelings towards her and any substitute for her he can find. He is a loner who sleeps in his tree house, and is a peeping tom on just about everyone, including his own Father and step-mother.

In a sort of twisted fairytale he flees to Edinburgh where he scurries over rooftops, camps into lofty bell-towers and scuttles through the subterranean passages of a hotel kitchen, all the while observing/stalking a woman he thinks looks like his beloved mother. Edinburgh looks fantastically gothic in all this too.

Hallam Foe is creepy, yet desperately damaged and vulnerable. He can turn on the charm when he wants to, and Jamie Bell carries the film terrifically. Sophia Myles is also very good as the object of his desires, and there are nice cameos from Ewen Bremner and Maurice Roeves as his guides and mentors in the hotel staff.

The subject matter may be macabre, but there's humour throughout as well as genuine pathos, intimacy and at least some redemption. Recommended.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
½ April 16, 2012
I remember mentioning in my review of Darkwatch (another movie Jamie Bell appeared in) whether or not he was actually a good actor or if in his other movies he was only the highlight because everyone around him sucked. He was in Jumper (one of the worst movies I've ever seen) and The Eagle (which was OK, but not good either) and he was the highlight of BOTH movies, but when you act alongside Hayden Christensen and Channing Tatum, it's definitely easier to be a highlight. But watching this movie, I can now say with ABSOLUTE certainty that Jamie is a really good actor. I mean I realized this by the time I saw Retreat (again, another movie Jamie starred in) but that movie was average at best so it didn't feel appropriate to rant there. He carries this movie, while it does have its very quirky moments and a solid story, mostly on his back and he does a great job at it. He takes what would've been a good movie otherwise, and turns it into a really good movie with his performance. It's not the best performance I've ever seen (not even close), but he does add a lot of life and heart to the film. This character, while well written, also had the potential to be creepy and unlikable and he doesn't feel like that at all, it feels like a completely sympathetic character that you can root for. Albeit in a completely odd way. But yea a really good movie, not without its flaws, but that's hardly a complaint.
½ March 22, 2012
Jamie is a great actor in this film
March 14, 2012
I so wanna see this! Sounds kooky & sexy & I love Jamie!
½ March 6, 2012
One of the better british films that didnt get much credit when released. Perhaps, the quirky kinks didnt suit some viewers, but dont take away the character, as they say dont judge a book by its cover. Well made, kept me on edge most of the time in an engrossing manner.
High notes -
Dr - David Mackenzie
Ac - Jamie Bell
½ March 1, 2012
A heartful drama about confusion and sexual obsession. Good directed with a great cast and masterful acting.
½ February 29, 2012
Good movie, a little slow at the very beginning but grabs your attention and doesn't let go through the end. Great acting as well.
½ February 14, 2012
Worth watching at least once.

Favorite lines;

Kate Breck: Sometimes I want sweet. Sometimes I want sour. Sometimes I don't know what I want. My shit stinks. I'm going to die one day.

Oldest Kitchen Porter: I killed a man once. Smashed his skull on a pier. Just so ya know.

Hallam Foe: Look, you're very attractive but I'm very politically committed to the gay cause.
½ February 4, 2012
Maybe I just wasn't intelligent enough to get this movie, but to me, Mister Foe was just weird and twisted. Jamie Bell (who I'll always associate with Billy Elliott) was phenomenal as Hallam Foe, a seventeen year old voyeur, whose mother had recently committed suicide. Unable to cope, Hallam leaves for the big city, where he finds a woman who looks eerily similar to his mother and Hallam starts spying on her. I get that this film was supposed to be coming of age, sophisticated, and meaningful, but honestly, I just found it creepy. The film was choppy, extremely slow, and just when you thought something was going to happen, it doesn't. In Mister Foe, Jamie Bell really does show just how good an actor he has become. Aside from that, this movie is just weird.
January 12, 2012
Weirdest, creepiest, strangest film (in a good way) that I've seen in a while.
½ January 2, 2012
Suitably twisted and engaging. You do wonder why you are watching such a confused boy, try to solve his mother's death, being as awkward as he is. Freud would've loved him.
½ December 2, 2011
Jamie Bell is supurb in this dark, well filmed story about a teen driven to voyeurism after the death of his mother.
November 28, 2011
A desperately emotional film that really hits you hard as you very much feel like you are the main character. Hallam Foe is a down-to-Earth, British drama masterpiece.
½ November 28, 2011
i'll never tire of jamie bell. oh to be under his watchful gaze.
November 13, 2011
Supremely disappointing. Not surreal enough or realistic enough to be believable in either world... stuck in flat out bad movie limbo.
September 30, 2011
liked the tension and bell's performance is so intense.
September 30, 2011
A film about Hallam, son of a wealthy businessman still overcoming the death of his mother and coming to terms with his new stepmother. He convinces himself that she killed his mother and in a night's confrontation ends up leaving for Edinburgh.

There he sees a girl, Kate who looks exactly like his mother did. He becomes infatuated with her and asks her for work in the kitchen of the hotel she works at. What follows is an interesting forming of a relationship which is both odd and sweet.
½ September 19, 2011
Hallam, the son of a wealthy Scottish businessman, is struggling with the death of his mother and subsequent re-marriage of his father. Hallam is a bit of a recluse who spends a lot of time as a voyeur, watching individuals and jotting down observations in his Journal. After his sister leaves for college, Hallam feels like he is being pushed out of the house by his new step-mother and leaves to go to the city where he meets Kate, who has a resemblance to his mother. As Hallam and Kate begin to become romantically involved, ever so slowly, Hallam is overwhelmed and confused mentally still dealing with the death of his mother. Mister Foe is an interesting, fresh coming of age story that is also a psychological study of a young boy still dealing emotionally from the death of his mother. The film could have been a little deeper in it's examination, but it's still a relatively strong film. Jaime Bell gives a strong performance as the vulnerable somewhat confused young man. Its well photographed as well but I guess the film would have just pushed the boundaries more in terms of story and visual storytelling. I guess I think the concept is stronger than the execution.
September 3, 2011
Directed by David MacKenzie, best known for independent British films like Young Adam (2003) and Asylum (2005), this is an adaptation of Peter Jinks' 2001 novel. This is an offbeat drama, but done with a delicate touch about damaged souls and the coming of age. It has a good cast, and has a dark wit about it. Social outcast Hallam Foe (Jamie Bell) is an eccentric teenager who believes his stepmother Verity (Claire Forlani) killed his mother. She and Hallam's father (CiarĂ¡n Hinds) want Hallam to grow up and move on from childish pursuits. So, he moves out of the family house to Edinburgh, and gets a job in the kitchen at the Balmoral Hotel, thanks to an encounter with administrator Kate (Sophia Myles), who bears a slight resemblence to his dead mother. With nowhere to go, Hallam lives in the clock-tower of the hotel, and spies on Kate, and even climbs over roofs in the city of Edinburgh to get near her. However, senior employee Alasdair (Jamie Sives) is having an affair with Kate, and Alasdair discovers Hallam living in the hotel and that he's spying on Kate, leaving Hallam no choice but to take drastic action. It's a very good British film, giving a different view of Edinburgh as well, on the rooftops. But the real ace in the hole with this is Jamie Bell as Hallam, such a brilliant turn from the boy who was once Billy Elliot. It's very offbeat, but also engaging and moving.