Mister Johnson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mister Johnson Reviews

October 8, 2015
Maynard Eziashi gives a great, charismatic performance. Feels very tragic. Good script and story.
March 23, 2012
This film reminded me somewhat of "The Deceivers", which also starred Pierce Brosnan in the role of a British Colonial official. An interesting character study. The ending was a surprise.
½ May 8, 2011
This movie is another version of Uncle Tom's cabin just in the early 1920's and in Nigeria, Africa. Mister Johnson (Nigerian man) Has NEVER been to England and calls England his home! This is another brain washing of colonialism that spread throughout Africa. Other Africans putting down their own people for the so called establish group that took over Nigeria that claim to help for the better of there country. This is another lesson to be learned by all nations, never put your own people down just because you made it in another country's culture. It can back fire on you.
½ March 28, 2010
How did I end up watching this? But there again, how did somebody with Pierce Brosnan's pedigree end up appearing in it? My excuse is that ‚??Pete‚?? from my girlfriends work purchased it; maybe Pierce Brosnan needed a new swimming pool? Back to the review. Mister Johnson is a local that thinks he is English and dresses and speaks impeccably. To live the lifestyle, he needs to ‚??duck and dive‚?? to keep up. The films one redeeming feature is the great views of Africa; the landscape, the people and the animals.
January 2, 2009
Bizarre and boring movie. The only remotely entertaining part of this movie was when Mister Johnston imitated his boss. Other than that small okay part this movie was a lullaby. Meant to put you asleep!
November 10, 2008
I just loved the character Mister Johnson although I had to laugh at his wild imagination. His dreams were hopelessly unrealistic but I loved the way he like to 'party'. Oh seh the King of Moses, of Moses, of Moses...
April 5, 2008
Shot on location, the Jos Plateau of Nigeria this is a faithful adaptation of the novel which I read before seeing the film. Johnson was the kind of southerner detested in the north of Nigeria, an antipathy which eventually led to civil was in 1966. This is a faithful recreation of colonial Northern Nigeria and contains a sad moral dilemma.
January 17, 2008
I watch a couple of Pierce Brosnan movie and I loved all so I hope see this one soon...
October 20, 2007
dat guy has a sexy last name lol
½ October 2, 2007
One day, there'll be an English-language film set in Africa that isn't about colonialism or big game hunting. Until that time, look for films such as "Mister Johnson." Although this colonial satire has intelligent aims, it's always a degree or two off the mark.
August 22, 2007
Excellent period piece set in turn of the century Nigeria. Sensitive performances, sympathetic cinematography and a tight, well moulded and beautifully written script delivers Pierce Brosnan's best film. The ending is just too sad, though!