The Mists of Avalon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mists of Avalon Reviews

March 24, 2015
I love the books, but the miniseries (released in my country - Brazil - as a DVD movie) it's very disappointing. Even the movie has a lot of troubles, Julianne Margulies, Joan Allen and Anjelica Huston are good in their roles - but of course they could be much better if they had a better director. The smart choice and also the best thing in the movie is the soundtrack with Loreena McKennit's songs. I'm crossing my finger for one day someone (who do loves the books) will do a great remake.
January 3, 2015
My favourite movie of all
Time... Right up there with Braveheart!
July 30, 2014
I so want this !!!!!!
½ October 14, 2013
here's the thing about this film. The dialogue was SO lame it really brought it down. The costume design was superior to the actual production. The costumes were beautiful!! The fabrics, embroidery and the style seemed quite authentic to the times to me. Also, it was odd how some of the actors excelled and others fell short. The thing most interesting about this film was how the story was so cynical about religion. I could not agree more, but it was great how it exposes Christianity and how it basically destroyed pagan religion because it worshiped women and Christianity is a man's religion. Also, I like the take on Gwenhwyfar. She was so pious, and self righteous. It was difficult to watch the struggle of the lack of dialogue, but I took away some memorable things on this take of the legend of Arthur, Merlin, Morgana le Fay and the others. I liked it.
September 17, 2013
Amazing movie, but an even better book. Very unique, don't expect your typical Arthurian tale. It focuses more on the female characters, and has a definite feminine feel to it. Doesn't mean men won't like it; but it does mean it's not your new age adventure fantasy film exactly.
September 11, 2013
Arthur's story retold in a different way... Merlin(1998), King arthur (2004) and this one of 2001.. Good treat...
July 1, 2013
great pagan flick...Anjelica huston is awesome
June 9, 2013
The series is much better
February 4, 2013
A different version of the classic tale, minus the sprit behind it.
January 29, 2013
Amazing movie that intertwines some of the most accurately depicted information about the old pagan ways of Europe with the mythology and drama of the old Arthurian legends. Fantastic imagery, beautiful film.
January 2, 2013
I was about to say that this is the most sick, twisted, disgusting story I've ever heard of... but then I did some research on other Arthurian lore and found that this version is quite tame compared to some others out there. I've seen the movie The Sword in the Stone, the musical Camelot, the movie King Arthur, read the story Excalibur and the poem The Lady of Shalott but this takes the cake for the version I've seen that's the darkest and grittiest. First, Viviane forces Igraine to lose her husband and marry another man and have a child with this man. That child (Arthur) is forced to be separated from his parents and beloved sister Morgaine and then forced (unknowingly) to have sex with that sister in which a child is born (Mordred.) Then, since his wife is unable to produce an heir, he forces her to have a threesome with his best friend (Lancelot) who is also the man she secretly loves. It is at this point in the movie (although I almost turned it off at two other points) that I decide to finish the unbearably long and insufferable movie by fast forwarding through sections. It was only out of sheer morbid curiosity that I finish it to find out the ending. The movie made me sick to my stomach and angry. It was also quite possibly the most sacrilegious film I've ever encountered. The end though about Mary the mother of Christ being worshiped as a goddess isn't far from the truth though I'm sure some Catholics would disagree and find this movie extremely blasphemous. There is nothing really good to say about this movie. I was thoroughly disgusted.
January 1, 2013
I love this movie...I wish they would make the rest of them
December 31, 2012
Certamente o livro melhor porque cortaram umas partes importantes, mas gostei do filme no geral exatamente porque permanece de certa forma fiel ao material escrito.
November 27, 2012
This was an excellent movie. It delved into the philosophy behind the struggle for acceptable religion. It was told from the aspect of honoring the goddess to christian religion and women have always been caught in between.
½ October 18, 2012
Not great but not bad TNT original.
October 5, 2012
Perhaps the most unique take on the Arthurian legend, The Mists of Avalon is a well executed miniseries/film that features generally strong performances, a visionary sense of storytelling, and a narrative that doesn't compromise in its grand nature. It's all taken very seriously and to a largely good effect, though it has elements of overdone melodrama at times. While it does have special effect limitations, the world building and cinematography are strong, making its visuals complement the film's tone. Also of note is the surprisingly good script which, though condensed, doesn't sacrifice the back-story or shy away from its more complex mythological elements.

4/5 Stars
½ July 10, 2012
Not a bad adaption. Not a good one, either. Certainly not Excalibur.
July 3, 2012
Where to begin... the wonderful soundtrack (loreena McKennit)... the casting (Angelica Huston)... or the story itself? I loved this movie! I've always been a fan of this story, having grown up watching Sword in the Stone and reading the Once and Future King. It was utterly amazing to watch this story from the women's perspective. People tend to dismiss this part and rely only on the Arthur/Lancelot side to tell the story. But this movie shows they've all had blinders on. There's so much more to the story than that... more political intrigue, backstabbing, manipulation not to mention spirituality. Most guys won't like this movie because it does shove the male characters into the background more than the other stories. Oh well, their loss. Watch this with an open mind and remember a time when women were revered as goddesses in their own right. Though their world did revolve around men (basically at the mercy of husbands and fathers) they still had their own power and place in the world. This movie is a visual feast with beautiful locations, wonderful costumes and a moving story with a message we could all learn from... if we've not yet forgotten how to listen.
½ June 17, 2012
It feels like cliff notes from a much better story rather than a engaging feminist fairy tale
May 28, 2012
many truths to be learned