Mixed Nuts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mixed Nuts Reviews

March 16, 2014
This is what every christmas movie should be like, this movie has a lot of heart, great comedic timing and the cast is wonderful. Some people say that this is one of Steve Martin's lesser movies, but I truly believe he gives an all round good performance and The film's plot is a unique and interesting concept. all together a oddly hilarious and warmly heartfelt film
March 11, 2014
"Mixed Nuts" a favorite of Jolyn Braithwaite, can barely scrape by with 2 fresh ratings. A total of a whopping 7%. Maybe "Wall-E" isn't looking so bad after all? :)
February 22, 2014
Por supuesto, una peli de navidad que vale la pena.
January 3, 2014
I own this on DVD in a three movie pack along with:
* Roxanne (1987)
* L.A. Story (1991)
December 28, 2013
this film has it's moments, but they get old very fast. i did like seeing liev schreiber in drag dancing with steve martin. that made me chuckle. the rest was annoying.
½ October 18, 2013
It almost felt like a play. Kind of one of those movies thats hard to resist and you dont really look at as a movie, but only family entertainment. A great way to star off the holidays is "mixed nuts"
August 25, 2013
I hadn't seen this in ages. The script is terrible, but Liev Schrieber is hilarious and made it worth watching. Check it out if a fan of Schreiber, otherwise skip it.
June 11, 2013
It's a pretty bad movie with a worthless plot. The actors work hard to bring the characters to life but it lacks any substance due to a poorly written script. It had potential with the whole suicide hotline but other than that it drags on too long at times. Madeline Kahn and Liev Schreiber are the main highlights of this movie. I have to say that's the only reason I stayed with it. Not something I'd watch again anytime soon!
½ February 24, 2013
Ihan jopa siedettava ollakseen jouluelokuva. Tata aikoinaan diggailin ja Steve Martin oli ihana. Juliette Lewis sopi tahan rooliin aika hyvin mutta on siltikin rasittava nayttelija.
January 12, 2013
Its a watch, not the best movie, not the worst.
December 27, 2012
The reason I didn't hate this as much as I should've was probably because I was watching it with a friend, but it still wasn't too bad. There were a good bit of parts it was very funny.

PLOT:It's Christmastime and things are going screwy in this California setting. Philip (Steve Martin) is the manager of a company named Lifesavers, which is a dedicated suicide hotline. Working with Philip is Blanche Munchnik (Madeline Kahn) and Catherine (Rita Wilson). Things are running pretty smooth around Lifesavers until the landlord (Gary Shandling) gives Philip the eviction notice of their company. Philip must keep it a secret from his co-workers while still dealing with his many calls, including the pregnant and stressed-out Gracie Barzini (Juliette Lewis) and the cross-dressing Mr. Lobel (Robert Klein). It's an ok plot executed almost decently.

ACTING:The performances in here were okay. Steve Martin played a pretty good part as the stressed and depressed Philip. Rita Wilson played a pretty decent part as Catherine and Madeline Kahn played a good part as Mrs. Munchnik until the near-end of the movie. Adam Sandler played in this as the delivery boy, Louie, but he actually isn't as bad as most of his roles. Maybe it's because this one isn't a leading role. The other shiners, so to speak, were Juliette Lewis as Gracie Barzini, Robert Klein as Mr. Lobel, Anthony LaPagilia as Felix, Gary Shandling as Stanley Tannenbaum, Rob Reiner as Dr. Kinsky, and Jon Stewart as one of the tree carriers. However, none of the roles except for the first three were really good at all.

SCORE:The score was made up of mainly Christmas music, so it wasn't too bad.

OTHER CONTENT:I didn't hate this as much as I expected to because I had a friend pointing and laughing at certain things, plus it did have some hilarious parts. Overall, though, most of the jokes and plot twists fell flat.

OVERALL,an ok movie with a near-decent plot, okay acting, Chrsitmas score, and some hilarious parts, but most of it just fell flat.
December 27, 2012

SCORE:The score was made up of mainly Christmas music, so it wasn't too bad.

December 26, 2012
I LOVE this movie!! We watch it every year as a Christmas tradition. This was the 18th year we've watched it. It's a very funny and cute movie. I wish they would play it on TV this time of year so that other people could discover it.
December 25, 2012
Entirely set in Venice Beach, LA. A Christmas film that doesn't feature snow, & it's brilliant! I've seen it a few times, and I'll watch it a few more. A Christmas comedy classic!
½ December 21, 2012
awful! it was a bad plot
December 13, 2012
One of the best underrated cult classic Christmas movies of all time!
December 12, 2012
Steve Martin plays as a guy who runs a help line called lifesavers that helps people who are depressed and troubled. He himself is depressed and stressed out because he is being evicted from the building plus he is dealing with weirdos and his whacky staff. I don't understand who would give this movie a low rating because it is so funny and it has a great cast. Among the cast is Steve Martin, Adam sander, Juliette Lewis, and liv schreiber. And they all have funny characters and have many funny parts through the movie. I don't know about you but I really enjoyed it. You will have a good time watching these nutty people. They are crazy and really funny to watch.
½ December 7, 2012
After making the hugely successful 'Sleepless in Seattle', writer/director Nora Ephron decided to remake a french film called 'Le Pre Nol est une ordure' aka 'Santa is a Bastard. I've never seen THAT film, but something tells me it might be funnier considering that it has the word Bastard in it and is referring to Santa. The basic set up of that film is sort of duplicated here with a few changes for the American audience. Ephron has had her share of hits and misses. This was one of them. Her humor here is relatively cutesy without being dark. Also it's annoying when all the characters are being played by these big named actors and are at the same time forced to be funny.

This film takes place around Christmas time with a group of Suicide preventioners who also lead lonely, desperate lives themselves. Philip and Catherine, along with Mrs. Munchnick, churn out their best life saving methods to those needing saved! It must not be doing good since their landlord is evicting them on Christmas Eve. There's a stalled elevator, a seaside strangler, a merry transvestite dance sequence, a loud mouth pregnant woman, a fruit cake, Adam Sandler with his ukulele and a series of Christmas songs that literally make you want to kill yourself.

Now this film has it's moments that are funny. The transvestite dance sequence and a few little minor moments made me chuckle, but there were toooooooooo many annoying ones. Like the elevator scene which was so stupid. I mean were the characters deaf? Could they not hear Mrs. Munchnick stuck in the elevator all that time?! REALLY?!! And there's the series of slapstick moments that were so forced, so, so forced it was sad. I think if I was around these people for a long period of time I would kill myself too.

Overall, I want to see the original instead.
November 16, 2012
One of my all time favorite Christmas movies
November 10, 2012
Worst movie I have ever seen!