Mobsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mobsters Reviews

January 28, 2018
Guilty pleasure. But why should I be guilty? The set and clothing design scream 1930's and the soundtrack does as well. It is overdramatic in areas and some of the performances are cheesy, but overall this is a fine slice of Friday night beer drinking, popcorn chomping fun.
December 21, 2017
The plot is iffy, but for what the movie is, I think it does the job. Christian Slater does great as Lucky Luciano. People rate this way too harshly.
July 16, 2016
Wow, the critics really hated this movie - and I don't get it. It's definitely not Goodfellas, but it's a serviceable, if not enjoyable flick. If you're looking for something different to watch, and you like 1920's gangster movies , then I think this would be an enjoyable selection.
½ October 20, 2015
Its Literally The Worst Gangster Film Of All Time And The Cheesiest, Weakest, Dullest, And Poorly Acted Film Of 1991, I Watched This For The First Time Thinking It Would Have Good Structure And Story But Instead I Saw A Film Poorly Set Up In The Crime Era Of The New York Era And A Almost Tv Movie Like Gangster Film That Stars Weak And Tuns Into A Comedy Parody By How Bad It Is. Mobsters Has Some Of The Weakest Performances Ive Ever Seen In A Gangster Film Yet And All Were Up For Razzie Awards That Year Same For The Film. The Toughness Of The Characters And The Acting Isn't Real And Almost Weak Way Like Where You Don't See A Mob Movie You See A Lame Tv Set Up Movie That Stars Bad And Stays Bad Getting Worse All The Way With Terrible Overshot And Dull Talk Scenes That Aren't Serious At All, Its A Very Weak Film. Mobsters Is A Terrible Movie "Two Thumbs Way Down" I Couldn't Stand It, And I Cant Recommend It To Anyone.
½ August 17, 2015
Ranked as one of the worst summer movies? Give me a break. An above average mobster movie that loosely follows history. The four leads do a nice job of portraying, although glamorized, their subjects. Another movie that grows on you.
½ April 1, 2015
Oh aint that sweet....the kiddies get to play dress up gangsters.
March 20, 2015
One of the dullest mob movies, this Mafioso spin on the Young Guns formula is flat and lax to the extreme. Bland direction, characters that are every flavour of tired 'mob' tropes and a paper-thin, clumsily constructed narrative, render any investment nonexistent.
½ March 7, 2015
Mobsters is by no means an awful film, but it's certainly several rungs removed from the best genre films out there, several of which are not only classics of the type but bonafide superstars that demonstrate the best the cinematic medium has to offer. Mobsters plays like a secondhand film, one that simply wants to jump on the bandwagon, a movie that's sort of like an involved Halloween costume: it dresses up real nice, looks the part, and feels the part, but underneath is just another anybody playing make-believe. It's a solid enough time waster and holds a decent replay value, but as far as the best Mob movies out there? Fuggedaboutit.
½ December 3, 2014
Don't waste your time with "Mobsters" if you want to watch movies about the Mafia. Stick with the classics. And pray that Slater comes to his senses someday and turns his career around, and that someone gives Dempsey another chance in a real movie someday - Dempsey's movie career apparently cratered with "Mobsters"...fortunately seems to have landed on his feet and moved permanently into television projects.
September 12, 2014
Great Movie. Very Informal!
July 7, 2014
An entertaining crime thriller, don't bother comparing it to films like The Godfather or Goodfellas because you would hate it otherwise. If any film to compare it to, it's kinda like Gangster Squad, but I didn't find this as exciting as that one.
Just basically the "Young Guns" of the Mafia genre.
½ March 27, 2014
really liked it when it first came out have not seen it since
November 27, 2013
Real mobsters from the start of organized crime.
November 20, 2013
A silly and dull Goodfellas wannabe.
August 18, 2013
Wanted to be the next 'Young Guns', but it just didn't have the charm.
June 2, 2013
Not as bad as people say it is. Really undeserving of a 4% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 1 star on Netflix. Yeah, it tries way too hard to be an important gangster movie, but the great thing about that is that it unintentionally pokes holes in gangster movie conventions, showing how shallow a lot of the artifice of those movies are. Also there are some compelling performances here. Dempsey is actually quite fantastic as Meyer Lansky. And Nichols Sadler (an extremely underrated actor, I might add) is great as Mad Dog Coll. And Chris Penn is Chris Penn. It's worth a watch if it's hot out and your brain is fried and you can't handle a movie you have to pay much attention to.
½ May 28, 2013
the movie starts out a little slow, unorigonal and lacking in style but by the end it turns out to be a good enough lil' 'mobster' flick. The whole cast seemed to be somewhat uninspired however its hard to go wrong with the genre. christian slater definatly wouldn't have been my first choice for the lead roll. The second half of the flick makes in recommendable.
May 21, 2013
it's not as bad but it happen for real but some of it is fictional
½ May 21, 2013
A gangster movie that is mediocre , at best.
April 5, 2013
not entirely historically accurate and they could have made better choices with some to the roles but it's not as bad as some other mob movies i could name.