The Mole People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mole People Reviews

July 18, 2016
Exactly what you would expect.
December 14, 2015
Gotta give it a 3 star rating...how can you not like a cast with John Aga and Hugh "Ward" Beaumont of " Leave it to Beaver" fame...lol...some decent effects but thin story line...I'd recommend this film for any fan of "B" movies...
½ December 13, 2015
The cloying self-righteousness of the Americans-against-the-Slave-State theme becomes acutely offensive very fast, not the sort of thing you want to see in a movie that starts out by insulting the viewer(TM)s intelligence. On the other hand, we all know why we really watch these movies" we want to see cool rubber-suit monsters. And The Mole People has a veritable army of them. It(TM)s not enough to make it a good film, but it(TM)s enough to make it suitable entertainment for an otherwise unoccupied Saturday afternoon" which, after all, is what it was really designed to be in the first place.
December 12, 2015
Just a genuinely odd feature, starting with the introduction wherein a professor relates a kind of pre-history of the mole people. The story then commences, with a cheery and camera-loving John Agar teaming up with the workman-like Hugh Beaumont (Beaver's dad). Scenes underground move slowly and are pretty much without any pizazz. Once in a while, a mole person grabs someone and those scenes have to carry the rest of the movie. Yet somehow the movie retains some entertainment value.
½ October 22, 2015
I'll be honest here and admit that the title The Mole People sounded much more intriguing than what I actually got. I expected some kind of plot about a small town being terrorized by nuclear-infested killer moles, or something along those lines. Instead, the mole people aren't even the point of the story. They're just a part of it. The movie's about a group of archaeologists who find a secret society of people underground who believe their world to be the only world, and they'll do anything to protect it. As a matter of plot convenience, they have a race of mole people they keep as slaves, until they revolt against them that is. The film is overly long, but does have some basic plot points and isn't terribly acted. The crew at Mystery Science Theater 3000 did a good riffing on it. It's not a completely bad movie, but it's not really that noteworthy. I actually forgot nearly all of it after watching it, so I can't say I'd recommend it.
September 1, 2015
This film only has value for an episode of Mystery Science Theater. It was easily the worst of the entire Universal Horror films portfolio from the 1920's to end of 1950's. The only mercy is that it is so short. Ridiculously poorly written--isn't it amazing that ancient Sumerians spoke colloquial English? Whoever was responsible for this effort was smoking the mushrooms they subsisted upon in this civilization.
½ June 30, 2015
The movie is okay, but the title is sort of misleading because the "Mole People" are kind of the secondary creatures in the movie and are actually kind of helpful for the survivors. Anyways, the movie is still a lot of fun, and starring John Agar.
½ March 17, 2014
Lord Deliver Us from John Agar--A nifty 50's subterranean creature feature flick!!
½ June 16, 2013
The only enjoyable way to watch this movie is on Mystery Scince Theater 3000. If anyone ever called it "bad" that would be a huge compliment.
½ April 14, 2013
Bland, slow-moving plot with a slow pointless and boring introduction. The mole people aren't worth the wait, and the story is full of holes and confusion. Stock footage galore, dull dialog, and uninteresting characters, nothing really good comes out of this film, but it still could be worst.
½ January 25, 2013
A much-better story than the title would lead one to believe, done in by horrid acting, in particular Hugh Beaumont (aka Mr. Ward Cleaver). Far from just another monster mash-up, this flick posits an underground ancient civilization of albinos who enslave the 'mole people' as food harvesters. Agar and Beaumont are part of a human expedition who stumble across the strange, new world. Great concept that, in Hammer Studio's hands, could have (and should have) worked but better. Too bad Beaver's Dad mailed this one in, as did many more in the cast. Of note, features Batman's Alfred (Napier) in a prime (albeit almost unrecognizable) role. Would have made for a classic Wally Wood tale for EC Comics.
January 20, 2013
Like a cross between a bad Star Trek episode and matine Flash Gordon. And pretty lame.
½ November 1, 2012
Has some interesting sets and a few other decent elements, but it starts out so slow.
½ June 30, 2012
I really enjoy 1950's science fiction but this was hard to watch. Actually, John Agar (Dr. Roger) and Hugh Beaumont (Dr. Jud) made a relatively credible team of scientists. However, the third co-hort, Professor Lafarge, was one of the most helpless characters I think I've ever seen in one of these movies. First off, he's old and he can't keep up. He's also one of the biggest chickens in the history of science. Lafarge practically gets everyone killed numerous times. I know that gives away part of the story but believe me, if you watch this you'll want Lafarge dead anyway.
The underground civilization is actually called Sumerians. The mole people seem to be slaves to the Sumerians, but why they put up with the pasty white mushroom eaters, I do not know. The mole people are actually almost secondary characters which is very strange.
The hardest thing to take about this movie was how corny it was. The ancient Sumerians could barely get out of their own way. It's not even conceivable they could have survived underground for so many years.
The sets look cheesy, the matte paintings are the worst I've ever seen and Alan Napier makes an awful high priest. The ending is also totally ridiculous. Don't bother with "The Mole People" unless you're a John Agar fan or something.
April 6, 2012
Ward Cleaver journeys to the center of the earth to do battle with a race of albinos living on mushrooms (I'm not kidding). This is science fiction at it's corny, campy best. I love this stuff (I'm not kidding).

*Kudos to the makeup and special effects artists at Universal Studios. Not once did I notice a single zipper!
½ January 7, 2012
I thought this was great. Could almost pass as a Star Trek episode. The ending with the mole lady confused me though. So many questions regarding her and her character.But that aside, highly enjoyable.
½ November 8, 2011
What can really be said... First off for supposedly being somewhere down under the earth they sure had an easy job climbing in and out! As a whole I liked what they were trying to do, but it really didn't work out too brilliantly! Admittedly I didn't fade interest but there's nothing so substantial that you need to see it...
August 22, 2011
Really bad horror flick made better by MST3K. (Sounds familiar.) Also, John Agar did play a total douche in this film and I'm glad they skewered him so harshly.
February 2, 2011
Made in 1956.Archeologists go exploring in the mountains of Mesopatima,underground they discover a new world of Mutant Mole People and Sumerian Cults,they must escape this bizzare new world.Highly original Concept which works well for most of the film,it may not be one of the best Monster Moviews of the 50's but it still entertains and is an interesting watch.
½ January 17, 2011
mushroom people would be better but that's a minor quibble