The Molly Maguires - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Molly Maguires Reviews

½ November 28, 2015
good historical pic from the director of 'norma rae'
April 30, 2015
A band of immigrant coal miners establish a secret society to deal with their harsh working conditions in any manner necessary. Quiet, understated performances by Harris and Connery set a grim tone for these true to life events, but overall the film fails to build to a satisfactory emotional climax.
½ June 21, 2014
I'm assuming it was going for the "social realism" mark, doesn't quite hit.
½ December 30, 2013
A decent enough story with impressive music and cinematography.
½ December 10, 2013
A huge flop at the time of its release ,its now possible to see Martin Ritts film for what it is a flawed epic of the American working mans struggle to break the grip of the barons in charge of the Mines.
Richard Harris is a Pinkerton agent sent to infiltrate a gang of rebel miners nicknamed the Molly Maguires lead by Jack Kehoe played by Sean Connery.
At first Harris is greetd with suspicion by the local men but he soon finds himself torn between his job and the genuine complaints that the miners have about there work.
What we get here are to outstanding performances from Connery and Harris as men on oppposite sides of the law who have a lot more in common than either realise.
Martin Ritt is partly forgotten as a director today in the rush to praise the Auters .
But the opening wordless 10 minute opening shot by Vetran DP James Wong Howe is an outstanding piece of cinema.
Its true that the filkm does lose itself in the romance between Harris and Samantha Eggar but the rest of the film more than makes up for some slack pacing.
Maybe its time to rediscover the work of Martin Ritt as this film really is worth catching.
September 18, 2013
I really liked the music score for the film. I thought that the film presented a good aspect to what a coal miners life was life and town life for Irish immigrants in a small coal town during the 1870's. I thought the film showed a good representation of the troubles the mines faced by its workers and how the workers had difficulty getting away from businesses like coal mining because they charged there employees for everything from housing, food, local shops, supplies they consumed on the job like carisean and oil to light their lamps to see.

I thought the ending was a little odd.

I found it interesting this film presented this from the viewpoint of a man hired to investigate the coal vandilers causing damage to the coal mining business. I actually felt more towards them than the coal mining business who I would consider the villains not the good guys in this film.

I thought that the ending was odd.
½ March 24, 2013
Unlucky but great film by Martin Ritt...Harris and Connery great duel of two great Actors...Good Eggar and the Right final where the law is the real dark side ...
½ December 22, 2011
An average dram which was fairly entertaining..nothing ground breaking
½ January 8, 2011
The Molly Maguires were a loose organization of Irish Catholic workers in Pennsylvania's Coal Region, many of whom belonged to the Ancient Order of Hibernians. They arose after Franklin Gowen of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad crushed the Workingman's Benevolent Association in the mid-1870s, and used violence to tame workers agitating for more humane working conditions.
By firing workers who belonged to labor associations, management practically forced workers to join secret societies such as the Maguires. They were the only organization to act on behalf of workers in response to ham-handed tactics of management.
Informants such as Daniel Kelly and Jim Kerrigan were used to pin crimes on the Mollies. McParlan was a kinder, gentler version of Kelly and Kerrigan, and even he doesn't come off as a moral character is this movie.
A group of McGuires were hung on 6-21-1877, a day called Black Thursday. Their leader, John Kehoe, was convicted for murdering a foreman - but unlike the movie, the murder actually occurred many years before Kehoe was tried for the case. Evidence to convict the Maguires was generally more flimsy than what was presented in this movie.
Nevertheless, it's a fine period piece and an excellent reinforcement of real history told in an engaging storyline.
½ November 29, 2010
1876 - Pennsylvanie. Martin Ritt cineaste de gauche discret filme l'histoire d'un gang de mineurs en lutte avec le patronat exploiteur. La societe secrete activiste menee par S. Connery sera infiltree par R. Harris : le traitre sur commande qui ne sera pas exempt de la crise de conscience comme dans tout bon film de traitre qui laisse de l'amertume dans la bouche et le coeur... La photo de James Wong est a tomber.
kylemydude
October 17, 2010
Wow, this sounds great!
September 9, 2010
good film but it had a number of problems
the plot is safe to say
there were though some historical inaccurasies, some characters that didn't quite fit in, and the ending was pretty abrupt
what a way to feel empty
the movie doesnt even star Harris as McPharlan for a majority of the time, it just slightly focuses on Sean as Kehoe
I admire the film though for the lavish set pieces and the lighting and texture
it's a pretty neat-looking period piece
at times it switches from enjoyable to dark and ominous
but the performances manage to save it from totally faltering
it's worth watching but not worth hanging onto once you finish it
January 26, 2010
What happened to kids in the 40s and 50s to make them so damn depressed in the 70s? In a classic 1970s move, this flick ends on one of the greatest downer moments ever. Not much happens in this one, but Harris carries it well enough and, my god, the ending!
October 29, 2009
Un film superbe et tenace helas un peu oublie suite a son echec catastrophique au box office a l'epoque. Ressuscite a Bordeaux par l'Utopia, c'est un veritable bijou qui sort des mines ou sevit un "gang" d'ouvriers irlandais qui sabotent en serie apres l'echec d'une greve. L'ambiance magistralement posee et les acteurs parfaits donnent a l'enquete d'un policier infiltre une dimension politique et esthetique hors norme. Dans le combat des hommes sous la crasse, le desespoir est dans chaque camp et le manicheisme n'y a pas sa place.

(volontairement sans accents)
October 25, 2009
Where can I purchase this movie> its History of where I am from!!!! If anybody knows let me know please
½ July 31, 2009
Mostly just plain grim.
½ April 17, 2009
it was a very boring movie.
March 8, 2009
Bored by the Bond series, Connery left to do more interesting and challenging films. This is more interesting and probably more challenging, but sadly Martin Ritt's direction does not make it more watchable. A starring role for Harris, Connery does not even speak for the first 40 minutes of the film. I think I'd have liked this better if Ritt had gone in one more time with an editor and lost about 10 minutes of fat.
November 15, 2008
it was the greatest movie i ever watched!!
October 27, 2008
wow i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a pretty powerful movie 2 watch...this has got a brilliant cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that sean connery was brilliant throughout this movie....its got a really good story line throughout this movie...i think that even though this was a flop at the movies/box office flop its still worth a watch 2 day...i think that the director of this Drama, Classics movie had done a really good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a really good Drama, Classics movie 2 watch