Tian ruo you qing (A Moment of Romance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tian ruo you qing (A Moment of Romance) Reviews

½ June 29, 2014
Starts off with Andy Lau super cool, like an asian Tom Cruise circa 1990. Then it goes on to be a 80-minute "cool" romance movie (so like, it's a romance tale but crammed with crime action, lol)Actually it's pretty good. Became an imitated film. You can kind of feel the 90s are about to happen! It's just ... a little bit corny is all, and don't think I'm hard-hearted, because I cried during Not One Less by Zhang Yimou. I guess this is made for teenagers and that's fine. Slight improvements to things like typical cheesy sound fx could've made this a 4 star for me but it might be better than that for youngsters during that era. I was not quite old enough yet and i just watched it in 2013. After 20 years it's not that fresh anymore but at the time I can see it being a 4.5 star film.Ng Man Tat does great in an award-winning role that reminds of Christian Bale's oscar winning role in The Fighter. Also it's Benny Chan's first movie (big-name director of many great late 90s and 2000s movies including Who Am I, Gen-X Cops, Invisible Target and Shaolin)The key is... any movie that got a sequel or two is always good during this era and region (or any era and region) so you won't be going wrong checking out movies like this, A Better Tomorrow, etc if you haven't already.
½ July 9, 2012
This is quintessential Honk Kong cinema from the era.
August 27, 2011
Classic Andy Lau ~ Another milestone picture in his long career as A Moment of Romance creates one of the most iconic roles for Andy: Wah Dee.

Couldn't really get used to Ng Sin Lin's character until towards the end because she was supposed to play a 17-year old.. =S The soundtrack was great too! ~
½ July 21, 2011
A very romantic and bloody Hong Kong film with a pair of likeable leads of a very young Andy Lau and Chien-lien Wu. The story itself is heartbreaking, simple, and a tale very well told.
½ April 25, 2011
An action violent romantic film. Not bad in a way but still not that good as there isn't much to offer from the story.
December 22, 2010
?(TM)?-?"次- (C)<...
September 21, 2010
Classic Benny Chan movie and an introduction to the director's immensely successful cinematic formula consisting of equal parts triad action, melodrama and power ballads. Against all odds, Chan's larger than life-concept works extremely well thanks to some serious production values and the unexpected emotional capital of Andy Lau's archetypical Wah Dee character. The narrative form of A Moment Of Romance might be mercilessly overwrought and it's visuals an excercise in overstatement, but the reason for Wah Dee's motives and the internal conflict they produce remain real and truly felt.
½ June 13, 2010
Melò romantico in salsa action, un classico del cinema di Hong Kong. Con tutte le ingenuità e le facilonerie del genere, regala anche ottimi momenti ed un finale prevedibile, ma efficace.
August 12, 2009
A Hong Kong version of Romeo & Juliet. Today's top director of HK, Benny Chan's debut. Carefully crafted shots tells brilliance of him. Although young and stupid characters can make you impatient and annoyed, there are some beautiful scenes that can take your breath away. Andy Lau and Chien-Lien Wu are perfect choices. Lau suits well with this kind of role of a man who is a gangster but not bad like in Kar-Wai Wong's debut "As Tears Go By" (1988). Chien-Lien Wu is not a perfect beauty, but she shows her innocent loveliness in full degree. A well-made youth love story.
July 19, 2009
Wu chien lien made it work
½ February 28, 2009
I still remember i love this movie so much when i was a child. The film and song is so so classical.
December 8, 2008
Another HK Cinema classic 1990s. Great music score & soundtrack.
½ November 9, 2008
Andy is very gorgious!!
August 20, 2008
loved andy in this movie... totally heartbreaking!!
July 7, 2008
Nice Andy Lau drama.
June 10, 2008
oh this movie was so good! I dare anyone to not fall in love with wah-dee after watching it! The story begins with jo-jo being accidentally kidnapped during a robbery gone wrong in Honkers, she is then saved from execution by wah-dee (an orphan gangster with a heart of gold) and -naturally- falls in love with him. The couple, now being chased by gangsters, not to mention jo-jo's snobbish mother, run away to Maccau after wah-dee is beaten up by the gang. With the Godfather dead, trumpet is next in line to lead the gang, and he hates Wah-dee, so it is either kill him or be killed.

This movie has everything you could ever want in an action movie: gangsters, a wealthy girl/poor guy falling in love storyline, motorcycles and truck racing -what more could you ask for?? The movie ends with the motorcycle/wedding dress scene which is sooo sad, that if you're not bawling by that point -then it's safe to say, you don't have a heart! I love, love, love this movie! It must have been on SBS like 20 times, and I've seen it every time! A great example of honkers cinema from the 90's.
February 20, 2008
Andy Lau Classic with great music in it
February 14, 2008
A classic love story with modern presentation. Many people even wanted to buy a motorcycle after watching it.
January 29, 2008
the best andy's film, classic ....