Mon Oncle Antoine (My Uncle Antoine) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mon Oncle Antoine (My Uncle Antoine) Reviews

½ December 12, 2015
another coming of age tale
May 21, 2014
The perfect Canadian coming-of-age story remains one of the greatest Canadian films of all time.
February 25, 2014
Coming of age film set in Canada is unique and delightful.
½ December 21, 2013
I get this is a Canadian/Quebecois Classic must see. But it was seriously boring for me. Desole vraiment.
October 19, 2013
Powerful and tragic film recounting one Christmas in the life of an orphan in a rural Quebec mining community. Feels a little like Bergman, but definitely has a flavor of its own.

On a side note, it's amusing to hear French spoken with a Canadian accent.
January 6, 2013
A lovely reminiscence of one boy's realizations about the adult world.
June 2, 2012
The best film to ever come from Canada. Brilliant Coming of Age film that's heavy on mood and character.
½ February 18, 2012
Mon Oncle Antoine is uneven in places, and needs to be trimmed a tad, but overall provides a wonderful portrait of a young boy's coming of age. Jurta captures all of the awkwardness that comes with the transition to an adult along with the realization that you don't ever want to become your parents.
January 27, 2012
I believe this is the only Jutra that I have seen and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is amazing what drama can be brought forward from the residents of an otherwise simple industrial town.
December 19, 2011
It was nice to see a movie filmed in Quebec but I found this film VERY boring. It was suppose to be set in the 40's but to me it still felt it was set in the year it was filmed, 1971. I really wanted to like this film but it fell flat.
ElCochran90
½ October 5, 2011
Hailed as the best Canadian film, Mon Oncle Antoine is a very special film fully driven by character development and the free-flowing, lighthearted mood of a snowy environment. The movie is like an innocent and naive child playing with the snow, yet in a process of maturity and realization when that turning point in our lives hits us as a bullet.

94/100
August 30, 2011
Looks like a cool Canadian film (No pun intended).
January 13, 2011
Claude Jutra's Mon Oncle Antoine can be described as a lot of things. Delicate. Atmospheric, perhaps. Warm. But pointless is not one of them. It is easy to see how some viewers with limited attention spans could find this film a bore, but the film has powerful currents at work under the light facade. It tells the story of goings-on in a small town near Quebec on December 24, sometime in the 1940s. Jacques Gagnon stars as Benoit, the orphaned 14-year-old, whose life is changed forever when he comes of age on a trip to retrieve the corpse of a 15-year-old with his undertaker uncle Antoine (Jean Duceppe). Despite the overwhelming amount of death in the film, flashes of life fill the screen more than once. A real treat of a film, one of the very best of the 1970s.
January 4, 2011
''Mon oncle Antoine'' is a poignant slice of Quebecois life. Like most French Canadiana, it's a coming of age tale set in rural Quebec, as told through the eyes of a youth whose views on the handful of characters inhabiting his intimate country community evolve or are shattered by the film's surprisingly existential third act. It's a unique and definitive piece of Can-Con that any Canadian film lover should seek out.
ebs90
December 24, 2010
I have such a soft spot for films like these: meandering, atmospheric, almost light, but with very definite and powerful currents beneath it. Mon Oncle Antoine is set in a cold, rural town in Quebec around Christmas (c. 1950 perhaps), and it tells a small story that could be called that terrible cliché: "coming-of-age".
So many different things are considered 'coming of age' that it's hard to state what that phrase means exactly. In the case of this film, it refers to a succession of seemingly unconnected, natural events that amount to an undeniable turning point: as if, in an instant, someone removed a carpet from under our feet and we were forced to jump into a realization, something we had never been aware of before. This all sounds very vague but comes across very clearly in Mon Oncle Antoine...
Benoit, a young boy, lives with his aunt and uncle. He helps them run the town's Magasin General and undertaking services. When the film begins, snow is falling and the town is getting ready fro Christmas; Benoit's Aunt meticulously prepares the shop's window displays, and he helps arrange the decoration and paper wrappings. A day before, he had helped his Uncle arrange the funeral of an old miner. So goes his life, a perfectly liveable and perfectly unexciting doing and undoing of little tasks. However, a combination of subtle experiences, including one with another young shopkeeper, and the mission to collect the body of a 15 year old boy several miles of snow away, bring him to a confrontation with the faces of life that had been hidden all along before. It's the old "loss of innocence" theme, regarding sex in one hand and death in the other, but told so wonderfully it only really sinks after credits roll.
This film is more mood than performance-driven; in fact the actors are so natural they almost go unnoticed, given the lack of eccentricity or any particular spectacularity in the characters themselves. If there is one remarkable thing it is Benoit's facial expression as his own awareness of passion and horror begin to expand. What I found most charming of all was the cinematography and creative use of camera movements, all supported by an awe-inspiring backdrop of both menacing and tranquil snow. The indoors scenes are filled with warmth and a feeling of community and familiarity so, somehow, the film is successfully alienating and inviting all at once.
Mon Oncle Antoine is certainly one of the most delicate and heartbreaking films about change and... yes, "coming of age" I've seen. I think at all ages people have to come to terms with something new, perhaps disagreeable and unexpected. That's why I don't think this kind of film ever loses its relevance. Watch it on a cold night with a glass of liquor and you'll be all right.
October 17, 2010
The story is told in a leisurely fashion which makes this film quite humdrum.
October 12, 2010
Arguably the best Canadian movie ever made (ironically by an ardent French Separatist), "Mon Oncle Antoine" is a rarity that transcends political allegory into something timeless and affectionate. Director Claude Jutra accomplishes this by painting a sympathetic French-Canadian portrait amid the backdrop of a classic yet unconventional coming of age story. Incredibly relatable, sentimental yet bleak, the film is wholly satisfying.
September 13, 2010
Un film magnifique sur la vie dans un petit village du Québec dans les années 50 (il me semble).
Le rythme narratif, assez lent, est rythmé par la beauté des paysages et par une musique superbe.
Les acteurs sonnent juste; l'histoire très touchante.
bbcfloridabound
August 23, 2010
This movie is from both the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival and it Spine No. 438 in the Criterion Collection. Its about life in a Small Quebec Village around Christmas time, pretty much features a 12 year old boy living with his Uncle, a cute story, I'll give it 4 Stars