Monday Morning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monday Morning Reviews

½ October 8, 2015
When will independent filmmakers understand that formulaic film style can only spoil the non-traditional subject matter of their films? Especially when that style is copied ineptly.
½ January 20, 2015
Just saw this again. Assuming that the distributor has allowed it for streaming, although it is "not rated." I was not offended by some of the questionable scenes. I guess that is way it is not rated. There is an unique filmmaker perspective within this process. Twists every bit along the way, yet cohesive so that it delivered an emotional punch. Makes you think.
June 12, 2013
Monday Morning is an original potion of styles which effectively portrays eye opening scenes that accurately reflect our homeless conditions. I felt that the direction lured us into this world and gives us sobering surprises along the way. This director's voice is something to keep an eye on. The actors were real. Gritty. And I kept thinking how they looked like they were pulled off the street. The movie depicts the journey of an up and coming senate candidate who has the misfortune (or good fortune depending on how you look at it) of becoming homeless while he is in need of his diabetic insulin. He meets a composite of homeless people and develops better understanding. In some of the scenes he's sitting with a bunch of the truly despondent and everyone rattles off opinions and thoughts that are seemingly disconnected, but as the movie unfolds their voices ring truisms. The director creates something cohesive out of all what seems crazy out there on our cold winter streets. I can't say much more, only that Monday Morning stands out amongst the independents.
May 19, 2012
What was hard to take in this movie was that it was so intense. I mean intense and in your face. I understand that was what the director wanted, but it almost made me turn away. Almost. I stayed and watched. What was easy to tak and love in this movie was the movie as a whole.

I do understand why studios are clinging on to bug CGI type action flicks. But they have to know that those kinds of movies will eventually run their course. And then we have to get back to story, characters, something powerfully meaningful. Not all of the time but to have a good variety of different types of movies.

Well, "Monday Morning" is one that is different, in that it clearly illuminates conditions in our perceived sub-culture within a compelling tale. The writer and director, Nat Christian, delivers an exceptionally well crafted portrait of a guy who finds his true nature and then must make a decision on what to do with it as it is pitted against all that he is accustomed to. Christian's passion guides his gifted talents.

The cast is superb, headed by Victor Browne, who gives his best performances in this movie. His range goes from superficial player to disturbed and emotionally affected survivor of the streets. Molly Kidder is perfect as an activist who falls in love. The homeless characters are very affecting (including Christian) - Jessica Spotts, Michael Cohen, Robert Axelrod. The muscal score supports the epic theme of this movie.

I agree that this kind of movie may turn off some people and critics, but thank goodness it was made, because there will be many who will cherish "Monday Morning"
May 16, 2012
Wow! So, I'm watching this film and I'm thinking "okay, a cute rom-com", then... what the....? A woman takes a dump on the street!

Alright, this sounds like shock value stuff, but no, this movie, Monday Morning is something different altogether. At first a bit strange, then dark, then absolutely endearing and captivating.

A guy with very conservative values finds himself homeless in Los Angeles. The lady pooping? She is so very integrated into the story that the shock leaves you and you are pulled into a a very hard to imagine, yet real world. Director-writer Nat Christian has a devil may care attitude with a firm and confident hand on the directorial reins. If we indeed are going to lose our good stories to huge action epics on the big screen, then it is this kind of filmmaking that may bring audiences back - to experience a movie.

Actor Victor Browne extracts great empathy as he journeys through skid row. He is supported by an excellent cast of sophisticated actors. They all know the journey and their places within the journey.
April 24, 2012
Yes some of the politics and scenes in "Monday Morning" will turn off some viewers and critics alike, but none can argue that "Monday Morning" is is a compelling watch and a courageous and bold work. We discussed this film for a long time afterwards.
½ April 19, 2012
"Monday Morning Review" - Thumbs way up. Yes, this will most likely anger those who may be offended by the scenes and sensibilities, yes it may end up that they might dislike the movie because of it. But make no mistake, "Monday Morning" is like a crystal clear mirror with regard to depicting the homeless in our society. These are the "losers" of our "competition breeds excellence" practices. Writer and director, Nat Christian delivers a fictional movie that contains a power that I have not seen in movies for a long time. A nice trend to continue.
April 16, 2012
Segments of Monday Morning will make people make a judgment to not like the movie - whether it's the scenes or the hard truths that come out of discussions. With the group that I was with, that was the case. But the common denominator was that even those that were upset at the graphic scenes or socio-political stuff, though that the movie was poignant and powerful, and they said that they were deeply moved.

So with me, who was not turned off by the explicit scenes, Monday Morning carried quite a punch. I was nearly knocked out by the imagery and the story. Writer-director, Nat Christian lays it right in front of us, literally (and I assume deliberately) so that we don't just walk away having seen the homeless experience, we see what they go through AFTER we pass them by. What they experience at night and in the bitter cold and rain. Also, I never realized that homeless women are raped so often. He is equally as good in the role of Damn, a homeless man who is befriended by Thomas Bach, played excellently and with much passion by Victor Browne.

The idea of a right wing guy who becomes homeless and learns a few things is good. The brutal depiction of his journey is great.

It is apparent that the cast was into this movie. Jessica Spotts, Molly Kidder, Robert Axelrod, Ken Melchior, Robert Pike Daniel, Cevin Middleton - all talented and real pros at this.
April 15, 2012
I was turned off by some of the depictions in Monday Morning. If it had been on cable or if I was watching it on a DVD, then I probably would have just turned the movie off. But I had made the effort to go to the screening and I sat there and watched.

And as the credits rolled, I realized what a powerful movie Monday Morning is.

I also realized that the depictions that turned me off were deliberately meant to make me aware that this is going places that are unexpected but very real. Street real. At least, that is what I gleaned.

I realized that the writer-director (Nat Christian) of Monday Morning has an original voice that must be heard. And that the outstanding actors (headed by Victor Browne, Milly Kidder, Jessica Spotts, Nat Christian), composer (Rossano Galante), editors (Peter Srinivasan, Jonathan Fung and Nat Christian) and everyone else involved made this movie with great talents and a lot of passion.
April 10, 2012
Monday Morning will piss of some viewers due to some very graphic (and seemingly offensive) scenes. Yet they are integral to the story and flavor of this film.

The audacity of a filmmaker. That is how I would describe this this movie. Writer-director, Nat Christian paints a mural about a lover of life and women, Thomas Bach, who is about to run for the senate in Minneapolis, Minnesota, comes out to L.A. and knocked unconscious. Without a a trace of memory he wanders around with homeless people. An boy dies he. He see homeless people going to the bathroom on the streets (graphic). He does so as well. A homeless woman trades sex (graphic) for crack money and other hard to watch sequences. But this movie hit home in the right areas. Christian does not hold back as he portrays what goes on in the streets, while interlacing these images within the story of the Bach's journey. Bach is wonderfully played by actor, Victor Browne. He owns this character.

To coin a cliche - I laughed and I cried.

Yes, some of these scenes will definitely cause some viewers to be turned off to the point where it blocks the real beauty. But for me, it clicked, because it was truthful and raw.
½ April 10, 2012
Some scenes will seriously offend and affect some viewers and critics. But they very well fit in with the movie's style and boldness. I have never seen the homeless depicted this way and see them more humanized. This is one powerful movie.
½ March 12, 2012
Powerful, moving, timely! I'm not usually one who makes an effort to see socio-political movies because usually the filmmakers are so one side minded that, I figure - "Why not just tell me what you're trying to promote?" Monday Morning is quite different in that regard.

It is a fictional story with a right leaning talk show skirt-chasing guy, Thomas Bach (played truthfully with guts, and compassion by Victor Browne), who is very popular and who is approached to run for the senate in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Seems par fo the course given today's political maneuverings. Bach has to go to Los Angeles to take care of some "personal business." But once in L.A., he falls victim to an attack and ends up homeless, mixing with the homeless population. Bach sees these people and their lives like he never would have imagined before, and develops much more sympathy towards them.

There are a lot of fascinating twists, which I can't give away because of spoilers. Written and directed by Nat Christian, Monday Morning is one of those movies that has elements of harsh street reality, some humor, poignancy and a dose of some kind of off-beat realism carrying some subliminal messaging that makes me want to see it again. I will wait a while, because there are strong graphic images and scenes in this movie that are not only moving but have a lasting effect. Credit this to the writing, directing and acting. Christian does what artists in this business should do. He aims high and takes risks. When artists, actors, directors, writers take these kinds of risks, often times they fall flat on their faces, but when they don't fall, they create brilliant and compelling experiences for the viewer. The latter is the case for Monday Morning. These are the kinds of risks that are needed if we want audiences to still pay the bucks to see a movie.

Along with Browne's wonderful portrayal, Christian also plays a supporting role with power, sensitivity and humor. Molly Kidder is a beautiful actress who brings a sophisticated intelligence to her role as Bach's girlfriend. An actress named Jessica Spotts is compelling as a homeless woman who bears all the harsh realities that many homeless woman receive every day in the big cities.

Monday Morning was filmed in Los Angeles, and whatever they did with the film stock or effects afterwards, it is an L.A. with a look unlike the city that is usually depicted in movies.

A special mention should be given to the explicit scenes in this movie, which will probably offend - highly offend some audiences and critics alike, but I found them necessary in order for me to get a true look at these people. Nevertheless, warning should be given if you intend to see this movie.
½ March 6, 2012
Caught this at the Music Hall in Beverly Hills. Actually went to see another move, but the times were changed and saw the AD for Monday Morning. It looked intriguing. Really? Intriguing is an understatement.

Wow, I was hit hard with a mix of socio-political-somewhat magical-uncompromising realism, within the story-line of an up and comer politician from Minneapolis who ends up homeless on the streets of Los Angeles.

The acting in this film is superb. Victor Browne, who plays the lead role fo Thomas Bach is very likable in the lead role. At the outset he's a guy and pretty much wants what all guys want. But as he journeys through the streets as homeless person, Browne calls up a variety of emotional moments that are both moving and engaging. Jessica Spotts is a powerhouse in one of those gritty female roles that come around one in a decade. As a hardened homeless mother, she maintains a little girl quality that oozes through her hardened exterior. Molly Kidder is perfect as the sophisticated yet passionate left Leaning senator's assistant. The film's writer-director, Nat Christian, plays a character named Damn. We all know the Damns on the streets. They are the guys who are constantly yelling at... well someone. Christian is an excellent actor who brings much empathy and humor to a tragic role.

The script by Christian integrates a ticking clock scenario, which has our hero fighting the clock, because he is a diabetic and without his insulin. Christian' movie is taut, emotional and provocative. This director pulls no punches whatsoever in depicting certain human behavior (can't give away because of spoilers), but I never felt that he was being exploitive. he shows it as it is.

Given that college students are getting more involved in activism these days, maybe films that make you think will be more commercially successful.