Mondo Cane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondo Cane Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
This documentary is a collection of short articles about bizarre practices that take place across the world. Some are interesting, some have since become common knowledge since this film was made, and, of course, some are smattered with animal cruelty which used to sell horror films in this era, a common gimmick used particularly by Italians. So, while this probably is worth a watch (particularly for the German beer drinking section) you do have to turn away for some scenes and try to ignore the quite racist narration.
½ March 19, 2015
When I first went to see Mondo Cane, I expected a Gore Fest. The movie that spawned a whole generation of films that relied heavily on the exploitation of graphic blood and violence could not be less than a carnival of massacre.

I was wrong.

This movie doesn't have as much hack'n'slash scenes as I thought it would have but it is much, much more disturbing that I ever dreamt it would be.

The great art of the Mondo movement is not to be visually shocking; it is to be quintessentially horryfying. Every single scene is built with such a sardonic objectivity, such a cold scientificism that lets you wondering about the true awful nature of the human race.

This movie is a masterpiece of misanthopy.
½ June 23, 2013
A shockumentary that gives you more yawns than shocks
October 20, 2012
This "documentary" of us humans; our rituals, ceremonies, etc is interesting at parts but has very little purpose. The shocking moments are pretty tame in this day and age, the pacing is slow, and the whole concept just feels extremely forced. That being said, there are moments that shine, mainly in the filmmaking. The music is by far the best part and kind of carries the movie, also the cinematography is pretty sweet, there's definitely an abundance of cool shots and fascinating sequences, but this movie is so random and half-assedly jumbled together, that it feels the directors tried so hard to be super artsy instead of informative.

Any way I spin it, the movie is definitively in a middle ground. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just kind of there and as these filmmakers have their "journey", I have my own to experience what movies have to offer. In the end, this one doesn't impress.

PROS: Great soundtrack, interesting views of the world, cringe worthy moments
CONS: Has no real purpose, very slow paced, convoluted
September 10, 2012
Em "Mundo Cão", os diretores mostram costumes e tradições bizarras e no processo revelam o que há de pior no ser humano como a violência e necessidade de destruir a cultura do próximo.
citawijaya
February 24, 2012
Looking forward to watch the second movie.
November 22, 2011
Odd but interesting. Disgusting, evil and everything we humans think we're not. Kids playing football with pigs bladders was just weird.
½ November 10, 2011
Love it or Hate it, I liked the fresh idea but disliked the commercial advertising of the film. It's interesting to learn about the mysticism in Italy
August 6, 2011
All the world perspective u need
August 5, 2011
A cinematic sideshow, let us mock and judge weird cultures from all over the world, I guess? I was supposed to be shocked or something, but we covered weirder shit in freshman-level anthropology.
July 14, 2011
A bit condescending and surprisingly mundane. This is a film that reminds the western world that though you may deny it, you are still an animal in a world of animals. Human rituals are bizarre even to us.
June 10, 2011
Really? I mean the soundtrack was amazing and breathtaking but it's so rritating to listen too with its rapid cuts about WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

How this Doco won so many awards is beyond me.
½ June 1, 2011
This is a movie...and I don't care how much of it is indeed bullcrap.
May 15, 2011
Smug documentary that could be accurately described as both misogynistic and xenophobic. More than anything, though, the film seems designed to elicit disgust and/or derisive laughter about all its topics. Quite possibly the most condescending movie I've ever seen.
March 23, 2011
I guess this was supposed to be a really shocking doc for its time, but it wasn't as shocking as advertised. And the doc seemed more like a good excuse for the filmmaker to travel to a lot of interesting places. It is really just suppose to be a slice of life for the fringe that isn't seem by regular society, but in this age of the internet, we've all seen videos of drunk people stumbling through the streets or bar fights that this isn't needed anymore. But it is interesting that they have villages with a bunch of people missing limbs from shark attacks, but maybe they should have spent more time on things that interesting instead of the bar scene of Germany. But, I guess this is "landmark", and I can appreciate that.
½ February 20, 2011
The world's first shockumentary is not very shocking anymore.
½ January 23, 2011
Its narrator's wit bites immaculately; its bizarro palate, compelling. It was an interesting watch for different reasons than I expected.
½ January 16, 2011
Pointless (for the 21st century) non-narrative documentary.