Mondo Trasho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondo Trasho Reviews

½ May 14, 2015
Would get no stars if technically possible. In order to justify the "disturbing scenes" warning at the start the film kicks off with a man executing chickens. The film starts after this and contains no disturbing scenes. I nearly switched off straight away. John Waters really is a moron. The rest of the film is meant to be in the style of a silent film and I wish it would have been instead of the terrible recordings of surf rock and rock 'n roll songs spliced together like a suicidal jive-bunny who's also deaf. The story is almost non-existant and completely nonsense. All this to, aparently, make us laugh. FAIL.
½ January 22, 2013
this movie could be shocking in the 70s, but has aged poorly.
nowadays it feels silly.
August 26, 2012
Unique, disturbing, and slightly boring for a John Waters film but I still like it!
½ July 23, 2012
I found it kind of boring, but it's hard to judge this film accurately 'cause it's so weird. I only cared about Divine, really.
½ April 17, 2012
If you get past the first 5minutes you've done pretty well. Still shocking and challenging to watch Waters created an interesting art-house flick with an all music soundtrack replacing any voice work. All Waters later elements are here with strong emphasis on perceived sexual, moral and social deviancy.

An interesing look as underground film making in the 60's and for Waters fans an early look at many of his Dreamlanders first film roles.
½ September 14, 2011
Funny piece of crap. Divine is, as usual, great. I specially loved the Virgin Mary apparitions. The film goes nowhere and that's just good enough for me.
½ August 26, 2011
My least favourite of the John Waters' films, amateurish and only bits were funny. I found it quite disturbing to be honest
½ May 15, 2011
Waters' debut is essentially an elongated short, but his trash aesthetic & flair for bizarre imagery arrives fully formed.
April 19, 2011
Sólo John Waters podía hacer una película tan provocativa, bizarra, descabellada e irreverente, la cual es su primer largometraje y ya nos muestra lo que es capaz de crear. Y nadie mejor que Divine para estelarizarla, los primeros pasos de la reina travesti del underground. Toda una joya exótica.
February 7, 2011
I feel privileged to have seen a bootleg of this early Waters gem. Rough, but very creative...and it introduced the world to the one and only DIVINE!
½ May 5, 2010
Good flick...I LOVE Waters...he is in my top 3 favorite directors of all time, but this one lacks some. Its a fun movie, but like Waters later said, it should have been shorter. And the soundtrack is GREAT, all the 50's pop songs, but it is missing that classic over the top, expressionistic dialogue and way of delivery that we all love so dearly!
February 12, 2010
John Waters first full length feature, and known to his fans as "the gutter film" (although all of his early works fit that description) because it was in fact filmed in gutters, laundromats, seedy back alleys and various other desolate areas in Baltimore. The story follows a fashion fanatic and her dead hit and run victim through bizarre, perverse, and filthy scenarios including a meeting with a foot fetishist who gives her a "shrimp job" (toe sucking), nude hitchhikers, a laundromat miracle, a mental institution inhabited by topless dancers, and a doctor named Dr. Coat Hanger who performs weird chicken foot grafting operations. Very odd indeed, but classic John Waters in it's execution. The only downfall is the running time. Since the movie has no real dialogue, instead old 50's rock records play over the entire film, it lags in some places. I think the film would have worked better if the length was cut in half. But with that being said it's still a fun watch and a must see for hardcore John Waters fans.
October 16, 2009
Utterly idiotic and utterly hilarious. Grass helps.
½ July 16, 2009
Ja, dette er er filmen som er en og en halv time lang, men som regissøren selv sier at burde vært 20 minutter lang. Maks. Så det blir mye fjas, men unikt og svært underholdende fjas. Lydkvaliteten er så dårlig at jeg trodde hodet mitt skulle eksplodere, men det gikk heldigvis bra.

David Lochary var stilig og litt ekkel og sikkert slitsom, negativ og litt apatisk. Kunne tenkt meg å bli venner med han. Han er sikkert død...vent, det må jeg sjekke.

"He was born in Baltimore, Maryland and died in New York City by bleeding to death in his New York apartment after falling on a glass while on PCP."

June 16, 2009
"Is that a boy or a girl?"
Bizarre, surreal, and just kind of all around kookiness that you'd expect for the first full length movie from John Waters. The best part is the hilarious dialogue at the very end. I saw it on video and I must have hit rewind about a dozen or more times. Made me and my friends laugh each time...the joke just never seemed to get old. "Let's wait for the bus some where else!"
½ November 26, 2008
You bought this? Are you out of your mind? Yet another John Waters disasterthon, it's yet another shard of evidence that everything about the 60's wasn't quite cool or even really OK... However, if broadcast TV reruns of early 80's Chevy Chase comedies are getting you down, this one may just wrench you back into a chuckling mood. Bring a cast iron stomach.
½ October 4, 2008
JW is right, this film does drag a bit but some parts are great...and Divine, Mink and Mary are fab! Soundtrack is great too! A must see for JW fans (although quite tricky to get hold of!) Long live the hog princess!
September 26, 2008
This movie is delightfully strange, while it is anything but astray of Waters normal dose of trash, it is a little lighter than some of his other films. Mondo Trasho isn't really a silent movie but it might as well be, with a great soundtrack and really interesting expiremental cinematography, this movie is a must see.
June 20, 2008
You have to know about this movie to appreciate can't just happen to watch it
June 4, 2008
I've started to watch it 2 times now, but I just can't get trough it.