Mondovino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondovino Reviews

January 11, 2008
I'd still like to see this in its original mini series form but this one is way too long for its own good at least the way I saw it in Cannes.
½ January 10, 2008
Méthodique et passionné, n'empêche que, comme c'est souvent le cas dans le genre, il y a un côté manichéen. En dvd, l'autre film est aussi intéressant.

Cela dit, on sent que ce sont les Français qui savent mieux ce qu'est que de vivre... les autres savent compter.
January 10, 2008
Soon everybody has an ipod, drives the same make of car and drinks vanilla flavored wines. But that only makes the life more interesting for the rest of us who still trust their own taste and judgement over advertisement, manipulation and propaganda. Interesting information about the changing wine business. Some really like the hand-cam but it made me dizzy.
December 31, 2007
One of the best way to discover the secrets of the winemakers. Nossiter rules
December 28, 2007
"I earned it the hard way, slow hard methodical work with integrity and never compromising
independence" - Robert Parker on his success - true and inspirational.

Intriguing takes on wine stars such as Michel Rolland and Robert Parker. I once wrote to Parker about an important wine question and he responded so I must say his good repuation is well deserved. The French complaining about Parker is really sad, they blame their internal corruption on him, why don't they stick to their good values instead?

Good movie on wine, globalization/diversity, and subtle barbs at Imperlists from France to England to America to the Jewish aristocracy. Not sure if I agree with Mouton-Rothschild that people don't know its Jewish but these are the good times...

Some important questions raised about how Jewish vineyards were treated by Nazis - in one case they note the sad and ironic murder of a Catholic by the Nazis.

With the dilemmas of selling wine to Nazis the film touches on how "agnostic" money is, no values, for better or for worse.

The ending of the film is powerful with the "inside view" bordering on issues of faith.

This movie is basically about man's search for truth and I do believe their is truth in wine, why else did Jesus teach us to serve each other wine and bread? :)

PS - I think I'd like to try some 20 year old Burgundies aged the old fashioned way with no oaky make up!
December 11, 2007
One of the best uses of hand-cam ever, certainly one of the greatest documentaries. Nossiter does an incredible job of weaving the infuriating story of modern wine economics with some fantastic interviews from both sides of the controversy.
½ November 29, 2007
Vous trouvez pas qu'y a un gout d'pomme ?
½ November 21, 2007
Un sujet qui touche le vin, mais aussi le fromage, la musique.... les idees... La mondialisation
November 19, 2007
If you like wine (not only Beaujolais nouveau), you will enjoy this documentary. And then make up your mind.
November 18, 2007
This superb documentary caused quite a stir among the wine elite. If you are a wine drinker and/or want to understand the forces - both negative and positive - that are shaping the making and marketing of wine, you should not miss this film.
November 13, 2007
Best if you are having wine and cheese.
November 12, 2007
Really interesting and so helpful to my research!
½ November 12, 2007
Only my love for listening to old European men ramble and beautiful scenery kept me watching. All I really remember watching was a giant, white dog eating a wheel of cheese.
October 25, 2007
A documentary anyone who enjoys a glass of wine should see,
October 24, 2007
It's very difficult for a wine-lover not to love this documentary. It does not really focus on Bacchus' creation, but instead on the social, cultural and economical aspects of contemporary globalized winemaking. True, Nossiter sometimes simplifies things a tad too much, but some interviews are incredibly enjoyable.
½ October 16, 2007
Very interesting subject and an original form of documentary-making. A tad long for me though... it lacked structure in some places.
October 8, 2007
anytime i have to fast forward thru a film just to finish it...not good. but a very interesting subject. micro-oxidizing is the answer to all of life's problems!
October 6, 2007
Excelent documentary on wine.
September 29, 2007
Only for wino insiders. Bad editing & moot points.
September 27, 2007
BUENISIMA, DEL FESTIVAL FRANCES, MUESTRA COMO LA GLOBALIZACION ACABA CON LO VERDADERAMENTE IMPORTANTE