The Money Pit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Money Pit Reviews

Shane Sackman
½ October 10, 2016
Too slapstick to be a proper couple's comedy and too sappy to be a real slapstick comedy. The money pit attempts to recycle a couple of funny physical comedy skits into a movie. This might have worked as a 20 minute short, but the gag becomes routine and flat far too quickly.

The film has brief glimpses of potentially fun characters but does absolutely nothing with them. Numerous individuals in the show are stylized in outlandish outfits with absurd vehicles, seemingly with no purpose. The escalation of mayhem in the movie is also very poorly handled. They make no attempt to build towards a big choreographed scene with incremental moments of insanity. The movie starts too far and never really leaves that zone of too much. This might work with a three stooges style of film but the money pit seems insistent to side-track into weak moments of dialogue that are almost never funny. Alexander Godunov might be the one exception. It feels like potentially interesting side characters like Joe Mantegna were completely wasted and underdeveloped.

Tom Hanks does what he can with a lemon, which is ultimately not enough. The whole film is far too plagued with unlikeable dimwitted characters. The characters are all completely idiotic and clueless, yet we are supposed to care about their collapsing fortunes and interpersonal problems. If the bit is supposed to be the comedy, focus on the bit and leave out the poorly developed character interests.

A one-note comedy that has not aged particularly well.
August 21, 2016
Ok, I thought I had seen this before. I had not. Pretty good.
½ August 3, 2016
½ July 31, 2016
Too cartoony, though parts do work. C
½ July 11, 2016
Not high art, but high-larious in many part.
June 13, 2016
Some boring parts but overall it's pretty good.
June 5, 2016
Not a bad 80s comedy - very light-hearted, with Tom Hanks playing loveable ditz and Shelley Long his girlfriend. Why they buy this really nice house for so cheap without being suspicious is never answered (& neither is where the money for the repairs comes from) but it obviously stats to fall apart and there's some pretty funny scenes and physical comedy involved. Hanks at the end of his tether is great value - sometimes forget these were the roles he started with. A nice & easy 90min.
½ May 25, 2016
Funny and a real world experience for many, this Tom Hanks movie will not make your favorite comedy list.
½ May 18, 2016
The only thing going for this train wreck of a film are Hanks' sight gags and his reactions to them. He deserves to be in a better movie than this.
April 30, 2016
I honestly wish that Tom Hanks, an excellent dramatic actor in his own right, would go back, every once in a while, to comedy. There's few actors in this world that I believe are truly talented at both drama and comedy. There's some actors that appear in funny movies, but they're funny because the script is funny, not because I necessarily think that they are great comedic actors. Tom Hanks is one of the few people that fits that category of great comedy and dramatic actor, because I think, from everything I've seen about the guy, that Tom is a legitimately funny dude. And, part of his effectiveness as a comedic actor is because of that. It's not always mutually exclusive, but I think a big part of it actually being funny in real life. Then hopefully some of that might transfer itself to the film you're in. And, while I thought Shelley Long was quite good here, I think it's Tom Hanks' unhinged and insane performance as the mansion he and his girlfriend bought for $200,000, a dead giveaway that something is wrong with it, starts to collapse unto itself. Maybe not literally, but the plumbing doesn't work, neither does the electricity, there's holes in the floor and ceilings, the stairs fall apart, etc, etc. There's nothing really even that special about the movie, it's actually just a fairly straightforward slapstick comedy. But, on top of that, you have Tom Hanks going insane and being hilarious and he, pretty much single-handedly, elevates a fairly basic script and turns it into a good movie. And I know that it seems like I'm completely discounting Shelley Long's contribution and that is my bad, because she is also funny here. Her and Tom Hanks make a great comedic pairing, but it's clear, when compared to Hanks' performance, that she's the straight woman, as it were. The best straight man, that I've ever seen at least, will always remain Jason Bateman in Arrested Development. And he's not even so much of a straight man since, while he does set-up his cast mates for jokes, he also gets a great amount of jokes himself. But that's irrelevant to this review, what matters is that Shelley Long is also good here and her contributions to making the film an enjoyable one should not be denied. I do think that the film sort of loses some steam as it goes on. There's this big moment where Hanks' character falls into some paint and that, somehow, leads him to destroying all the scaffolding the workers are using to fix their house. It's actually the biggest set-piece in the entire film and, to me, it just didn't work that well. It's not that it's poorly assembled, I just didn't think it was that funny. And that's where the film does start to lose some steam, so that's a shame. There's certain moments of the film that are really funny, so I was hoping the film might retain some consistency, but it doesn't. And it's not like I think that hurts the movie a lot or it takes away from it, but it's just not as consistently entertaining during the last stretch as it is in other parts. But that really shouldn't be a deterrent, I legitimately thought this movie was an enjoyable and Tom Hanks' performance is great, so I'd say that makes this worth watching. It's not a classic or anything, but it'll entertain you for its short, 90-minute running time. I'd recommend it if it's ever on TV or if you have Netflix. Nothing that's really must-see, but a good little comedy here.
½ April 22, 2016
It's without a deep story for sure, but it provides enough great jokes and gags to be an enjoyable ride anyway.
½ April 19, 2016
The Money Pit is a movie about a couple who buy a house that slowly starts to destroy their entire lives. I used to love Tom Hanks doing comedy, and this movie reminds me why. I'm not saying I dislike Hanks in the more serious roles that he has focused on for almost 20 years now, but he excelled in comedy. This movie shows that he can pull off both physical comedy and delivering a good punchline. I love his expressions when everything in the house starts to fall apart and how he subtly shifts as his character begins to expect the next disaster. Shelley Long is an actress that I can only take in small doses, but this movie is one that allows her to be whiny and it still makes sense. Watching it again after all these years, I still find The Money Pit to be a humorous film. There are so many moments that I fondly remembered and they made me laugh all over again. Sadly, I don't love the movie as much as I did when I was a youth because I've grown up enough to have seen the reality that underlies all the wackiness in this movie. It feels almost painfully real to see a couple buy their first house and then watch every penny they have and more disappear as they struggle to make it a livable space. Also the framing device where we see the father of Tom Hanks's character was terribly out of place and should have been left on the cutting room floor. But most of these are minor complaints, because The Money Pit is a genuinely funny film, and I would recommend it.
½ March 19, 2016
Not even sure why I watched this. To check off another Hanks movie, I suppose. A comedy that had literally one laugh. Not so hot.
March 13, 2016
A gem from my childhood.
½ March 11, 2016
Another good film, that could be much better.
January 14, 2016
For some reason I hadn't seen this until tonight. Feel like I shoulda seen it as a kid or something, but I guess I didn't. There's some great physical comedy in this, but it takes a little while to get started and it's kinda uneven. But overall it's good. There were some parts where I laughed hard.
November 14, 2015
I recently watched "The Money Pit", having only seen it one other time as a kid, and I have to say, this movie is certainly one that you can take a pass on. My memory of the movie was that I thought it was fine, and that is basically how I feel about it as an adult. Sure, there are a handful of funny moments, but they are not worth sitting through an entire feature for. Despite performances by some huge names from the '80s and an interesting message about relationships, the movie simply does not manage to be fun the way that it wants to be.

The Money Pit
Grade: C
October 13, 2015
This movie struggles to find a common thread and devolves quickly into a series of pratfalls and misunderstandings. Shelley Long is pretty good in this movie given what little she is given to work with, but she has little chemistry with Tom Hanks who is out of place in this film.
October 6, 2015
Fun. It wasn't just a right time for me to watch before buying a house.