The Money Pit Reviews

• Jul 02, 2019

I love this movie and find certain scenes remain hilarious, regardless of how many times I have seen them or how old the movie has become. This isn't Tom Hanks' greatest comedy, but it's a classic one in my book.

• Jan 23, 2019

An unnecessarily convoluted beginning with an embezzling father and a returning ex-husband start the ball rolling slowly on this comic tale of two people in love who buy a fixer-upper together and find that more fixing than they ever possibly could have thought will be needed to get the house in livable condition. What could have been a modern day slapstick classic is bogged down by the relationship between Shelley Long's character and her ex-husband (played by Alexander Godunov). A film of this nature should be kept quick and breezy. Weighty relationship problems simply serve to make the viewer think director Richard Benjamin and writer David Giler didn't put enough faith into their central comic premise. Without its romantic subplot, "The Money Pit" could have been the best slapstick comedy in sixty years. There are some incredibly humorous visual occurrences in this film, particularly ones that revolve around staircases and scaffolding, and Tom Hanks has a flair for this kind of buffoonery not seen since the days of Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton. Between her appearances in this film and "Night Shift" from four years prior, I was always amazed that Long's own career fizzled out after the Eighties were over. Unlike Long, Hanks would go on to bigger and better things. Indeed, the five films he released during '85 and '86 (this being the best of the bunch) felt more like a transitional period for an artist coming into his own than solid entertainment in their own right. Missed opportunities were the calling card of many Eighties films and "The Money Pit" seems to fall squarely into that designation. I so wanted to see more of the goings-on in the house itself . . . the electrical problems, the plumbing problems, the structural problems. Perhaps that was my own failing and not the fault of the film, but I just can't get passed my presumption that there should have been a different focal point for the film. Maybe others will view this as something more than an average time waster. As for myself, if I'm hankering for a Tom Hanks fix, I'll stick with "The 'Burbs" or "Splash."

• Dec 01, 2018

Warning spoilers !! Although the story is a little crazy and the story unfolding a bit slow, this is capable of being one of the best comedies ever, with a very good story, good actors, good jokes, good soundtrack and a very good technical team . With hilarious scenes, like that scene in which the stairs fall, that scene where Tom Hanks fumbles the switch with wet hands and sets the kitchen on fire, or that wholly hilarious wedding scene. Highly recommend.

• Sep 17, 2018

A good comedy film to get the laughs out of you. A chain reaction of disastrous events with a too good to be true house while dealing with a soon to be couple.

• Aug 08, 2018

I thought that this movie was a very funny romcom. I liked that no matter what they did things in the how just kept getting worse. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long did great in this movie.

• Jul 09, 2018

I would say this movie hasn't aged well, but it wasn't any good when it was new.

• Nov 22, 2017

newlyweds buy a nightmare of a mansion in this comedy that is best appreciated when not taken seriously.

• Aug 29, 2017

Some movies get less funny with each passing year. This one gets less funny with each passing home improvement project.

• Jul 26, 2017

The main humor is the occasional charm from Tom Hanks' few outbursts when trying to make his chemistry with Shelley Long work, same goes from her end, while trying to reach the end of the exaggerated destructive funhouse of chaos and the outer silliness. (C+)

• Jul 07, 2017

The Money Pit hits close to home for me because everything that happened in it would happen to me.