The Money Pit Reviews

• Nov 18, 2020

Poor slapstick (if you can call it that). A weak story. No real acting to speak of. A couple of moments during which you might laugh

• Oct 22, 2020

Its a nice, harmless, funny family film for slightly older children and parents who enjoy a little slapstick humour.

• Sep 29, 2020

I watched this back in 1986, thought it was OK. So I thought it might be interesting to rewatch it after owning an old house for 15 years or so. Still think it is OK. The movie is just a series of exaggerated sight gags strung together. I guess what struck me most from the rewatch wasn't so much the house problems hitting home, but how much of "Sheriff Woody" is in Tom Hank's performance.

• Sep 06, 2020

You can't judge The Money Pit by today's standards, this is a late 80s movie and it's fantastic. Hanks is Hanks, perfectly loud, and it's that brand of slapstick that he grew out of in the 90s, but I would love him to revisit the style just once more. The house is a great adversary and the workmen provide some wonderful running jokes.

• Aug 26, 2020

This was a pretty good film. I enjoyed it. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long had great chemistry in this film.

• Aug 14, 2020

Good watch, would watch again, and can recommend. Despite this movie releasing in 1986, this movie actually dates really well. With the focus being much more on the horror of real estate and property maintenance, things like smart phones aren't relevant to the story. This could easily be rebooted beat for beat as all the points are still relevant today and the script is well written. I'm not sure who the equivalent actors to Tom Hanks ("Forest Gump") and Shelley Long ("Cheers") are today, but they would have to be quality expressionists to make the movie work. While some of the jokes are baked into the script with situational destruction around the house, it really is the actor performances that sell the emotion and charm of the movie. Well worth the watch, and the trip in the way back machine.

• Jul 02, 2020

This movie is wonderful - the humor is so spot on for home owners who have a place that needs "a little work" - so corny it's a classic

• Jun 29, 2020

Pretty good film. I enjoyed it. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long had great chemistry in this film.

• May 17, 2020

This comedy was pretty good. Tom Hanks, Shelley Long, and the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in this movie. The plot to the movie was pretty funny and dramatic. People will probably get a good laugh out of this movie. If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out sometime. It's not a spectacular movie, but it's worth seeing.

• May 09, 2020

A funny watch, almost entirely thanks to Tom Hanks. Hanks brings laughs as Walter, his comedic timing in this is pretty great. Shelley Long (Anna) does have her moments too. The premise is amusing and manages to stay fresh despite the somewhat repetitive nature of the events, what helps are the live effects used for the disaster sequences which are very nicely done. Even though it isn't poor, I do believe the dialogue could've been better to create more humour - some of it was a little lacklustre in parts. Going back to the cast, I completely didn't realise Wendell Pierce in his minor role - I actually did recognise the paramedic's voice instantly, just couldn't place the actor until the end credits. Cool guy. 'The Money Pit' is entertaining, it is one that is very much deserving of a view.