Moneyball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moneyball Reviews

July 17, 2016
As a huge movie fan and an even bigger sports fan it's great to see a sports film not follow the cliché plot line of nearly all sport films. The story of Billy Beane and how he adapted and built a team with only what he was given was insightful on how the business side of sports is run.
July 5, 2016
I have never been a fan of baseball, but the script by Aaron Sorkin and the performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are truly made this movie special for me
July 4, 2016
Grade: A-
In a Nutshell: Based on a true story, this smart sports movie hits a home run. The heavy-hitting cast includes Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman (I miss him), Robin Wright, and Chris Pratt.

Uplifting theme:
"Adapt or die." - Billy Beane (Brad Pitt)
"How can you not be romantic about baseball?" - Billy
"I'll change the game. I want it to mean something." - Billy
Baseball is about people, not statistics.
"There is an epic failure going on in the game to understand what is going on." -Peter Brand (Jonah Hill)

Things I liked:
Director Bennett Miller uses interesting camera angles to help you "see" things differently. He also jumps from the roar of the crowd to complete silence to help you "feel" things differently.
Writer Aaron Sorkin is a master at quick-talking deals and clever wit. Some of the dialogues are simply hysterical.
Brad Pitt gives a stirring performance, even though most of the time he is snacking on something or chewing gum.
You hear the voice of sports announcers Bob Costas and Tim McCarver.

Things I didn't like:
At times the flashbacks get jumbled up with the present day and break up the flow of the story.
I hate it when brilliant, visionary protagonists get away with being jerks. For example, Billy is constantly pushing over desks and throwing chairs in tantrums.
If you're not a baseball fan, you might be a little bored at first and not understand some of the references to legends and players. Keep watching.

Funny lines:
"I'm not going to fire you." - Billy
"F-You!" - Grady Fusion (Ken Medlock)
"Now I am." - Billy
"Who's Fabio?" - John Poloni (Jack McGee)
"That sounds like fortune cookie wisdom to me, Billy." - Grady
"No, that's just logic." - Billy
"I asked you to do 3 evaluations. How many did you do?" - Billy
"47. Actually, 51. I don't know why I lied just then." - Peter
"Do you want me to speak?" - Peter
"Yeah, when I point at you." - Billy
"It's not that hard. Tell him, Wash." - Billy
"It's incredibly hard." - Ron Washington (Brent Jennings)
"Good meeting. Every time we talk, I'm reinvigorated by the love of the game." - Billy, sarcastically to Art Howe (Phillip Seymour Hoffman)
"What's your biggest fear?" - David Justice (Stephen Bishop)
"A baseball being hit in my general direction." - Scott Hatteberg (Chris Pratt)
"No. Seriously." - David
"Seriously, that's it." - Scott

Billy's advice:
"When you get the answer you're looking for, hang up."
"You may not look like a winning team, but you are one. So, play like one tonight."
"Is losing fun? Then what are you doing having fun?"

Tips for parents:
2 F-bombs. Wait, this is PG-13 movie, right? According to the MPAA, PG-13 movies are only allowed 1 F-bomb, unless a vote earns a two-thirds majority saying it's ok to have more. Lame.
There's a scene where a baseball player starts to take his pants down and dances on a table, but you don't see anything.
It's actually a really safe movie for kids, although they may be a bit bored with all of the talk of statistics and economics of the game.
July 2, 2016
I might be a bit biased being a baseball fan, and a sucker for a good ball flick. But for me, Brad Pitt, and Jonah Hill, two of in my opinion the best actors of all time. Swung for the fences in 'Moneyball' and hit a grand slam! To make it even better, it's based on a true story. Sports fan or not, I recommend giving this film a watch!
June 15, 2016
Moneyball (2011) 133m. ??? D: Bennett Miller. Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Robin Wright, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Chris Pratt, Stephen Bishop. Inspired adaptation of the Michael Lewis novel examines respected baseball manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to assemble a baseball team on a lean budget by employing computer-generated analysis to acquire new players. Compelling, to be sure, but since the main character is hard to relate to, it leaves the film with a certain level of aloofness.
June 13, 2016
Okay. Here's what I was thinking: Moneyball, Moneyballs, MONKEYBALLS.
June 12, 2016
A surprisingly dense, well acted, and intelligent work w/ distinct direction by Bennet Miller and interesting and artful editing and photography. All of which combines to turn what should have been a by-the-numbers sports movie into one of the best films of 2011. You'll like this movie even if you don't like baseball, for baseball merely acts as an entry-point into ideas about how we interact w/ and exploit each-other. But the film is also about moving forward, and redemption, the type that is rarely offered to people.
½ June 12, 2016
One of the best sports movies of all-time
June 10, 2016
Not that great I thought it could have been a better movie. The only good thing about it was that it was about baseball. I was not a fan of the plot to the movie
June 9, 2016
I don't know anything about baseball so I don't really know what's going on in this movie. This movie puts me to sleep. Maybe I should re-watch it when I'm not as tired and am not on the plane so I can hear better.
June 8, 2016
whenever talk of great baseball movies come about I find this one getting slept on and i dunno why. True story with big actors and its very enjoyable
½ May 31, 2016
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill have incredible chemistry in "Moneyball," a movie about how great Billy Beane is. Pitt is his usual dynamic self and the supporting cast do the job just fine. The two flaws about this movie are the pacing and a few inaccuracies. The mistakes I can get over. It is, after all a dramatized version of what happened in real life. The pacing and the endless worship of Beane took this movie from a 10 to about an 8.7. Make no mistake this is one of the finest baseball movies of all-time.

If you're a baseball fan this is a must see, and even if you're not this is the kind of movie that could turn you to be interested in the sport in the same way "Sideways" made people interested about wine.
May 22, 2016
I have to show this to my team
May 14, 2016
Great movie about the "behind the scenes of it all"
½ May 8, 2016
Baseball is an unfair game, some teams play in larger markets and have more money to spend on players, such as the New York Yankees. Then other teams play in smaller markets and have to watch their best players sign elsewhere for more money than they can offer. How do you replace those players? And with what money? "Moneyball" highlights the events after the Oakland Athletics lost the 2001 American League Division Series to the New York Yankees leading up to their loss to the Minnesota Twins in the 2002 Division Series.
The Oakland Athletics lost three great players in Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon and Jason Isringhausen to free agency. General Manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) can't get an increase in his payroll to sign big players. The scouts are all quite older than Beane, they are trying to replace those players using the same techniques that have failed before when valuing a player. Beane knows that firsthand. In a flashback, he was scouted by the New York Mets and touted as a five-tool player. These scouts say this is a once in a time opportunity and he has to go all out if he wants a shot in Major League Baseball. His parents seemed skeptical and want him to take his Stanford scholarship.
On a trip to Cleveland trying to find a replacement for Damon in a trade, he comes across Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), a man whose opinion is so valued by the Indians organization that Beane buys his contract. Brand convinces Beane that players are judged on superficial means and some are undervalued. He conceives compiling a team of misfit players on a budget by buying runs. They base their decision almost solely on on-base percentage.
This sends shockwaves to the scouts and to the manager Art Howe (Philip Seymour Hoffman). They sign a player who can no longer be a catcher named Scott Hatteberg (Chris Pratt) to be their new first baseman. They trade for David Justice (Stephen Bishop) for his high on-base percentage and the fact that the New York Yankees will pay half his salary just to get rid of him.
The season gets off to a rocky start starting off at 20-26, Beane starts getting upset with the way Howe is using his team. Howe is putting Carlos Pena in over Hatteberg. Beane retaliates by trading Pena away forcing Howe to put Hatteberg into the lineup.
The team improves over the season and they go on a 20-win streak before ending the season with more wins (103) than the previous season with those star players. Although the film makes it seem like it's due to these sabermetric ideas, the film never even mentions star shortstop Miguel Tejada and third baseman Eric Chavez, pitchers Barry Zito, Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder. If the season wasn't successful, this never would have been a movie.
It's still a great movie that does a great job making a movie about baseball, that isn't about baseball. It's about how you compete in a game that is almost rigged for the teams with more money. The film deduces that you always have a winner with money but then shreds that idea by presenting the story of the 2002 Oakland Athletics.
May 2, 2016
Greatest sports film to feature minimal gameplay. Award worthy performances give us an interesting and well paced story on the strategy of sports statistics.
½ April 26, 2016
My favorite movie of 2011. Funny with a surprising amount of heft and great performances by Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill.
½ April 20, 2016
I know absolutely nothing about baseball. However I do like maths. This film was amazing! Really good characters and a great performance from all. I found myself caring about baseball statistics by the end.
½ April 17, 2016
Brad Pitt does a stellar job in this one. One of the best baseball movies I've seen and a good insight into the sabermetrics movement in baseball.
April 8, 2016
Not your typical baseball movie. Great adaptation of a great book.