Moneyball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moneyball Reviews

½ May 31, 2016
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill have incredible chemistry in "Moneyball," a movie about how great Billy Beane is. Pitt is his usual dynamic self and the supporting cast do the job just fine. The two flaws about this movie are the pacing and a few inaccuracies. The mistakes I can get over. It is, after all a dramatized version of what happened in real life. The pacing and the endless worship of Beane took this movie from a 10 to about an 8.7. Make no mistake this is one of the finest baseball movies of all-time.

If you're a baseball fan this is a must see, and even if you're not this is the kind of movie that could turn you to be interested in the sport in the same way "Sideways" made people interested about wine.
May 22, 2016
I have to show this to my team
May 14, 2016
Great movie about the "behind the scenes of it all"
½ May 8, 2016
Baseball is an unfair game, some teams play in larger markets and have more money to spend on players, such as the New York Yankees. Then other teams play in smaller markets and have to watch their best players sign elsewhere for more money than they can offer. How do you replace those players? And with what money? "Moneyball" highlights the events after the Oakland Athletics lost the 2001 American League Division Series to the New York Yankees leading up to their loss to the Minnesota Twins in the 2002 Division Series.
The Oakland Athletics lost three great players in Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon and Jason Isringhausen to free agency. General Manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) can't get an increase in his payroll to sign big players. The scouts are all quite older than Beane, they are trying to replace those players using the same techniques that have failed before when valuing a player. Beane knows that firsthand. In a flashback, he was scouted by the New York Mets and touted as a five-tool player. These scouts say this is a once in a time opportunity and he has to go all out if he wants a shot in Major League Baseball. His parents seemed skeptical and want him to take his Stanford scholarship.
On a trip to Cleveland trying to find a replacement for Damon in a trade, he comes across Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), a man whose opinion is so valued by the Indians organization that Beane buys his contract. Brand convinces Beane that players are judged on superficial means and some are undervalued. He conceives compiling a team of misfit players on a budget by buying runs. They base their decision almost solely on on-base percentage.
This sends shockwaves to the scouts and to the manager Art Howe (Philip Seymour Hoffman). They sign a player who can no longer be a catcher named Scott Hatteberg (Chris Pratt) to be their new first baseman. They trade for David Justice (Stephen Bishop) for his high on-base percentage and the fact that the New York Yankees will pay half his salary just to get rid of him.
The season gets off to a rocky start starting off at 20-26, Beane starts getting upset with the way Howe is using his team. Howe is putting Carlos Pena in over Hatteberg. Beane retaliates by trading Pena away forcing Howe to put Hatteberg into the lineup.
The team improves over the season and they go on a 20-win streak before ending the season with more wins (103) than the previous season with those star players. Although the film makes it seem like it's due to these sabermetric ideas, the film never even mentions star shortstop Miguel Tejada and third baseman Eric Chavez, pitchers Barry Zito, Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder. If the season wasn't successful, this never would have been a movie.
It's still a great movie that does a great job making a movie about baseball, that isn't about baseball. It's about how you compete in a game that is almost rigged for the teams with more money. The film deduces that you always have a winner with money but then shreds that idea by presenting the story of the 2002 Oakland Athletics.
May 2, 2016
Greatest sports film to feature minimal gameplay. Award worthy performances give us an interesting and well paced story on the strategy of sports statistics.
½ April 26, 2016
My favorite movie of 2011. Funny with a surprising amount of heft and great performances by Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill.
½ April 20, 2016
I know absolutely nothing about baseball. However I do like maths. This film was amazing! Really good characters and a great performance from all. I found myself caring about baseball statistics by the end.
½ April 17, 2016
Brad Pitt does a stellar job in this one. One of the best baseball movies I've seen and a good insight into the sabermetrics movement in baseball.
April 8, 2016
Not your typical baseball movie. Great adaptation of a great book.
March 28, 2016
Great flick, although it never seems to get to the heights I expected. That said, I've watched it 10 times. Baseball movies are typically inspirational and inspirational films are relatively rare.
½ March 27, 2016
With an incredibly sharp and clever script thanks to the master Aaron Sorkin himself, Moneyball gives a very different kind of sports movie - one that hinges solely on Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill, who both give among the best performances of their careers.
March 27, 2016
Excellent movie that tells a great true story that baseball isn't won in the Winter
½ March 12, 2016
Wanted to like it, but didn't understand the central thrust of the movie. Who was the audience supposed to be invested in? Not the ever-rotating players on the team. Not the relationship between Pitt and Hoffman's character - Hoffman succeeded most when he faded away, never to be fully developed or explained. We never really got into Billy's personal life enough to see what went wrong, or what could go right, or what motivates him at all. So the movie ends with him turning down the one person who believed in his method and was giving him an opportunity, and his daughter calling him a loser. What am I supposed to make of all this? This movie was the opposite of the way it played out: it had all the makings of a great film, with its subversive premise, great cast, and unique tension-builder. But to me, it made very little out of very much.
½ March 12, 2016
Enjoyable to watch and well told, could have easily gone down the the route of other sports films but kept a standoffish tone which I liked.

Would have rated it higher only for the twee song that his daughter sings, this seem harpooned in and went against the feel of the film. It destroyed my suspension of disbelief.
½ February 26, 2016
Great must see, its not only for baseball fans!
½ February 21, 2016
great soundtrack - must see
½ February 14, 2016
Although I dunno anything about baseball,this movie,based on the same proves to be one of the best sports movies I've ever seen. Brad Pitt,Jonah Hill , respect.
½ February 9, 2016
Brad Pitt performed so well again. When it came to the 20-game winning streak, I think that moment moved many people. I was moved, too. It leads you to believe in something, just you need to find out what it is.
Null
½ February 8, 2016
I'm not a fan of baseball nor do I watch sports in general, but my my did this film impress me. From start to finish I was floored, the writing is amazing, the performances are outstanding, very funny, very serious and an overall smart film. Even if you don't like baseball you'll still enjoy this film, check it out!