Moneyball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moneyball Reviews

½ December 23, 2015
I give moneyball an A. As a baseball fan I was blown away. gave me a new appreciation for the A's and billy beane.
December 20, 2015
An averagely good film
½ December 16, 2015
Pitt knocks it out of the park. This is a great movie.
½ December 12, 2015
A slow paced drama about a smart coach who brings a baseball team back into contention.
December 6, 2015
"Moneyball" is a sports movie where sports do not reign as a form of entertainment but of business. It focuses on the dog days of the Oakland A's, beginning in 2001 following a losing streak and a punishing loss to the New York Yankees. Their hard luck is no matter of coincidence but because of a lack of budget, of players not thoroughly analyzed by scouts looking for new talents. Most employees have given up, continuing regular business as if nothing is off. General manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt), a former ball player himself, is the only staff member bothered by the team's inability to make a name for themselves in a world where money can make or break you.
Three of the team's most skilled faces are leaving after the season ends, and where Beane's colleagues are perfectly content looking at materialistic facts about potential players instead of digging deep into statistics, he is inclined to build a winning team against the odds. Their budget is less than shoestring, so what if the A's buy talent evident but ignored for various shallow reasons? Driven to make his plan an unequalled success, he hires Peter Brand (an exceptional Jonah Hill), a brilliant recent economics graduate, to scrutinize prospective players mathematically. The plan seems foolproof - but the road to the eventual record twenty game winning streak is a rocky one.
I was surprised by how involving "Moneyball" is, which is, at its heart, a film rooted in the cerebral. Numbers and statistics wrap around its exterior, an intellectual but entertaining look at the world of sports. Yet its emotional content is stunning - Beane is a compelling protagonist, a man bitten by the bug of champions but also haunted by a past baseball career where winning was never a reality. In his present, where he is divorced and with a lovely daughter (Kerris Dorsey), he wants to make up for the failures traveling in his wake by any means possible. He is cynical and he is smart, but the vulnerability shining through his wizened exterior is conspicuous the moment he stops talking sports and lets himself loose. He never watches a game - he would rather work out, drive miles away, than watch a game in the grips of a stadium seat. His confidence is next to none. Pitt is mesmerizing.
The screenplay, written by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, is snappy and wry, funny but only because its humanity is so true to life - they assemble as many witty exchanges and convincing encounters as they do characters we can understand, live through. Miller's direction is unforced, reminiscent of a documentary where life seems to unfold before us. To not connect with the film is an impossibility.
It is a feat that a movie as subversive as "Moneyball" (a sports movie not really about sports, a film statistically inhibited but also emotionally stimulating) is such a riveting experience. An interest in sports does not matter here - at its core, "Moneyball" is about self-discovery, of overcoming odds against one's favor, and it's fascinating.
November 30, 2015
With notable performances, Moneyball is a film with heart about the fight between old school and new models in baseball competition.
November 27, 2015
A marvellous and inspirational story with a stellar cast, superb screenplay and a moving and suspenseful soundtrack. As a sport lover I can find no fault with this masterpiece that shows that the established sporting elite can always be undone by the intelligent and thoughtful underdog.
½ November 24, 2015
This movie is like The Social Network but it revolves around the character Billy Beane's and Peter Brand's idea of a winning Baseball team. Bold, funny, and thought provoking, and is obviously one of the best films in 2011.
November 8, 2015
A Film with Great Oscar-Worthy Performances by Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill ! A Well-Made Biographic Sport Movie by Miller ! Slows down a bit but definitely a movie to check out once .
½ November 6, 2015
Generally I don't like sports movies and I don't really like baseball. I really liked Moneyball. It shows the more strategic side of the sport in a very interesting and well-done manner. I highly recommend it.
November 5, 2015
want to see it. not sure how true.
½ November 2, 2015
A film based in a true story with great performances of Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt showing that science and math has a word to say in sports.
October 16, 2015
Moneyball, though well filmed and enticing, has a problem with rising and falling action. It is almost as if the screenplay relies on a captivating story to keep the audience engrossed rather than holding each breathtaking moment in what was a shocking season and pivotal moment in baseball to this day. It was as though the entire budget was spent on obtaining Brad Pitt to be their leading man, who (don't get me wrong) was fantastic as Billy Beane. Maybe if the ending was staged differently to celebrate the accomplishments on the team and Billy Beane rather than their lack of success Moneyball would have hit home even harder than it did with the critics.
October 12, 2015
O gerente de um time da Liga Americana de Beiseball resolve apostar em um rapaz que acredita que o jogo trata-se basicamente de estatísticas.. utilizar um jogador com uma boa estatística para aquela função ignorando os outros detalhes de sua vida pessoal ou nas outras posições... após tentar consegue quebrar o recorde de 20 vitorias seguidas, mas acaba perdendo o jogo decisivo.. Ao final recebe convite de ir treinar o Red Sox e se tornar o mais bem pago da história, porém fica em seu time e não toma sua decisão baseada no dinheiro...
September 11, 2015
Not bad. Not a lot to it.
½ September 10, 2015
Pretty good. A's still haven't won a world series with Billy Beane, but whatever
½ September 5, 2015
Moneyball review: this movie is a few years old. I really liked it. Brad Pitt and the cast acting is ok. It's the story that makes this movie. I was totally impressed with this re telling of the real story about the Oakland A's baseball team in 2002. Fascinating theory on making a successful team. I gave it a 7 out of 10
August 31, 2015
Favorite baseball movie
August 21, 2015
A film that I just have to praise, the core reason being that they managed to get me to actually sit through this movie and thoroughly enjoy it, while my knowledge and enjoyment towards baseball is zero to none. The first big thing to get anyone hooked is a good cast. Jonah Hill, Brad Pitt, Phillip Seymour Hoffman round up the star-studded participants in this engaging picture. The only real flaw I had was it's length, and some of the time, I found myself a bit bored with an unnecessary, dragged out segment. However, that's mostly it... the progression is great, the cast is impeccable, and the general idea the subjects had were truly mind-blowing.
August 17, 2015
Mature, appropriately funny, visually striking in a visceral and realistic way, above all Moneyball delivers as a near-perfect character study for Brad Pitt's spot on Billy Beane. With every performance showing the actors commitment to the role, moneyball takes a very specific subject that appeals to a specific group of people and, through perfect and engrossing filmmaking, opens it up to the masses.