Monica & David - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monica & David Reviews

December 29, 2015
I have to admit that I went into this movie convinced that the whole idea of marriage between people with Down Syndrome was semi ludicrous. I came away with a new appreciation for the love that a couple can share and the great commitments of love that need to be shown by their loved ones to ensure that they can make a go of it in life.
October 31, 2015
Kindly ignore Flixster's description: the only "affliction" Monica and David have are their families quite reasonable fears of the couple being mistreated by society.

As Monica's mother says "Because we want to protect them so much, we are typically the first ones who treat them poorly by subconsciously denying them their rights to have a normal life".

David's mother knows he wants to work, she knows he's capable, but she "wouldn't want him to have to associate with society".

Monica's mother wants to keep them with her because " the thought of Monica or David running across anyone who would so much as look at them the wrong way drives me crazy."

And unfortunately, society lives up to the families fears most of the time. It only sees difference and it fears difference.
It sees disability and can't see past it to ability.

Film maker Alexandra Codino is Monica's cousin. She "wanted the world to see Monica the way I did- an intelligent, sensitive and nuanced woman", and that's what we see: an intelligent, sensitive and nuanced woman marrying her soul mate and equal, and enjoying their first year together.

If you want to see a doco about disabled people, watch something else. This one's about ability.
½ May 21, 2015
Sweet idea but .... didn't really grab my attention
½ May 13, 2015
Very nice, honest look at a couple's first year together as husband and wife, and the challenges that they face both having Down's Syndrome.
March 18, 2015
I love shows like this that show how everyone is the same. We each have struggles in our lives but it's how we go about them is what sets us apart!!
June 30, 2014
Interesting slice of life about couple with down syndrome.
May 18, 2014
Neat story of a Down's Syndrome couple who gets married. It's not meant to be representative of all Down's people or situations; just a peek into the life of these two as they get married and spend their first year of "wedded bliss" together.
December 17, 2013
beautiful and moving documentary <3
June 8, 2013
Honestly one of the most beautiful and romantic movies I have ever seen.
½ April 21, 2013
Touching and poignant and wonderful
April 5, 2013
I thought this was a pretty cute love story between two people with down syndrome. They give a brief history on how they met but it was nice to see how they live out their lives after they get married. It's amazing how you always think people with this disorder can't live on there own and always need parents and such but this movie shows that they can. It didn't have any fillers or anything it was a perfect length documentary. It's just sweet to see that basically anyone can find love no matter what problem you may have in life. If you like cute romance stories and documentaries definitely check this one out.
February 2, 2013
Charming and affecting little movie that explores dicey terrain while also working to reduce old stereotypes. The credits scene where the couple was dancing was so priceless.
½ January 20, 2013
Touching look at a newly-married couple with down syndrome.
½ December 21, 2011
a short little doc that made the rounds on NPR about a couple with downs sydnrome who just want to marry and live a normal life. nothing crazy, just a sweet little love story about folks just trying to make it work. really good. plus they were cuban, bonus points.
½ December 14, 2011
A touching film about how love conquers all. It opened my eyes to the fact that those with disabilities sometimes need their own independence. Monica and David are unforgettable people. Def. a must see!
May 14, 2011
One of the sweetest best documentaries I've ever seen. Such amazing families. Available now on HBO on demand.
February 14, 2011
And we think we have problems!
January 26, 2011
Amazing story of true dedication and committment! The marriage of this couple with Down Syndrome appeared to be flourishing at their one year mark- much better than my (and many others I know) marriage ever did! The couple had so many excuses to fail, but never used a single one! Wish it had been produced five years ago :^|
January 21, 2011
This movie is so powerful. If you don't cry you have no soul.
November 1, 2010
I was going to pass up this documentary about two Down's Syndrome people getting married, but Newsweek raved about it so I went ahead and watched. From the outset, I thought I would hate it for its flowery nonsense, but as it turns out, it seems like a pretty legit take on the complications of living with Down's.

Why did this need filmed? That was my original question. The director is Monica's cousin. The opening of the movie shows life expectancies from 1983 and now...about three times longer these days. From that, I thought the film would take the approach that people with Down's are just like the rest of us. Fortunately, it did not.

I'm actually torn on how to review this. I am a biology fundamentalist of sorts, though an uneducated one, but also value civility. It is clear to me that Monica and David do not have great intellectual capacities. The film did not argue with this, and Monica's mom actually says near the start that Monica will do/like whatever she suggests. This is a move toward confirming my belief that Down's have an idea of what's going on around them, they just aren't as fast or able to think for themselves. This theme is prevalent in the movie from Monica struggling to adjust to her routine, to David's diabetes, and some observations made Monica's mom. So whereas I think it goes against nature of sorts to live until 60 with Down's - in no other species I can think of would a deformity like this work that way - I certainly think we have improved on the treatment of disabilities. It's scary to think what would have happened just 20-30 years ago. Even when Monica was born, the doctor allegedly walked in and told her mom she gave birth to a mongoloid, then walked out. That's pretty fucked up.

So I thought this movie might exploit Monica and David...make them poster children for what Down's can be. Instead, even though the family is successful enough to take care of the couple's every need, that is not the picture painted. It is made clear that even this adorable couple cannot be independent. It is also made clear that even the patience of a loving mom sometimes wears thin. Admittedly, her entire life revolves around the pair. It's definitely admirable, and what Monica's mom has done her entire life kind of makes her a hero.

In the end, I think the most ironic thing is that the marriage of Monica and David seems more likely to last than most marriages. Why? Marriage is very complex, and "normal" people have a tendency towards drama. Even the "normals" don't have the capacity to work together. Oddly enough, the simple world in which Monica and David live probably make them an ideal couple. I think it's more of a friendship - the terms of endearment and such just seem like a conditioning of how a couple is supposed to act - but they seem happy and that works for me. And even if the wedding, the documentary, and the whole shebang are more gratifying to everyone but Monica and David, there's nothing wrong with creating happiness.