Monkey Trouble - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monkey Trouble Reviews

½ February 14, 2015
remember liking this
December 27, 2014
Watched it on Neflix twice because it is very funny...esp the monkey,,,
September 25, 2014
This is a great monkey movie not as good as curious George but good. I wish I had a real monkey . Monkey!!
July 27, 2014
(First and only full viewing - 7/24/2010)
½ April 19, 2014
I'm not a big supporter of seeing monkeys as the star of films, but this was a good one. All the little girl (Thora Birch, who several years later became famous for playing the daughter in American Beauty) wanted was a pet, and the writers crafted a cute, touching story. Good performances all around.
½ November 26, 2013
When I was young I loved this movie just because of the cute monkey. Its a bad movie though but funny
June 25, 2013
good movie but hard to download
March 7, 2013
"Fingers" (Finster) is a trained monkey who pick pockets unsuspecting victims on the California Boardwalk. He works with "Azro" (Harvey Keitel), who is not nice to the monkey. "Azro" and "Fingers" get hired by a guy who may be a Mob boss who wants to use the monkey's abilities, but the monkey escapes from "Azro" -- after leaving him a "note".

"Eva" (Thora Birch) is a young lady from a broken home. She can't stand her younger half-brother, and loves animals. She begs her mother (Mimi Rogers) for a pet, but doesn't get her way -- until "Fingers" comes into her life.

And with "Fingers", whom she renames "Dodger" after her favorite professional baseball team, "Azro" is not far behind -- and that's only because he wants his monkey back.

This film is more for kids than adults. Kids will get a laugh a lot more at the jokes than the grown-ups, who will probably find the comedic situations pretty predictable. In fact, there could have been more comedic moments in this movie, but there isn't. But the comedic moments is chuckle worthy -- if you are an adult.

Most of the adult cast is very underused in this film. There is also little development with the adult characters. The majority of the adults are just there to advance the plot. Now that I think about it, the human cast acted as if they didn't care about putting their best effort into their performances, and were only there to make a quick buck.

Out of the entire cast, Finster stands out the most. Birch is the only human who is pretty watchable, and slowly improves her performance as the movie advances.

When it comes to wardrobe and scenery, nothing really stands out that much at all. You can pretty much tell what took budget cuts.

The cinematography is not good, with the exeption of a fair chase scene. It is pretty obvious that this movie is pretty low budget, and they decided to make what is see a major budget cut.

Out of all the wardrobes, Keitel's was the most unique because it was the one with the most worn-in look. In fact, I don't think he changed his outfit at all in this movie. The rest of the cast had wardrobes that didn't stand out.

The script is very formulaic. I have seen this movie before, with a different species as the feature animal. I've also seen this plot done much better.

If you ask me, only rent this one if you have kids. Or, better yet, plunk your kids down in front of the television if this movie is on HBO or the Free Movie section of On Demand.
½ March 2, 2013
Having pleasant memories of this film from my childhood but not knowing what it was called or who stared in it, I had always hoped to come across it by chance someday and I'm glad I did. So many childhood favorites don't live up to expectations all these years later but this is not one of them. A solid film for the whole family.
January 2, 2013
Haven't seen this for a million years but from what I remember I enjoyed this very much!
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
November 9, 2012
not much a monkey and the one is shoplifter and the monkey to
October 28, 2012
Was one of my fav movies as kid and i still from time t.o time
October 8, 2012
Respectable family fun. I still can't figure out how they got away with the movie title, though. Keep in mind that John Wayne Bobbitt lost his Bobbitt right around the time that this headed into theaters.
½ August 27, 2012
Cute and cuddly. Thora birch is just as lovable like the monkey. When a con artist looses his monkey he find Birch as a new owner. The problem?
Her step dad is allergic and shes hiding the monkey the only other person who knows is her baby brother. As a trained theft monkey birch find stolen goods in her back pack and room, panicing the family smells her monkey troubles and is followed by the ex-violent monkey owner.
½ August 24, 2012
Although this may have appeared to be a directorial debut, the concept is hillarious and I just re-watched this film and I laughed. Take it for what it is, a sweet kiddie flick and it is rather enjoyable. Yes it is manipulative and forced but, "Bad monkey don't steel" is funny beyond its faults.
July 23, 2012
This is a great children's film. Thora Birch is adorable in this movie.
½ July 8, 2012
Cute and fun film with heart.
June 2, 2012
I watched this movie a LOT as a kid, and loved it.
May 12, 2012
Good movie, specially kids like this movie yes there are lots of funny scenes to make every one laugh.