Monogamy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monogamy Reviews

July 23, 2013
I am intrigued by the cast, but the story isn't doing anything for me.
½ March 3, 2013
A complete wasted one hour and thirty minutes. The reason I don't go to theaters. Since I am a photographer I'll give a sacrificial one star, NO just a half of star.
½ February 17, 2013
Shoulda seen the end coming from a mile away, but I didnt which is probably why I kinda, in a small way, liked this.
February 8, 2013
Even though I liked the idea of the plot, I did not care what happened to any of the characters, just like the photographer became bored with his job, mid film I got bored with all the protagonists.
½ January 25, 2013
Intense and emotional in all the right ways, but I'll never watch it again.
November 15, 2012
this is go nice movie
½ May 30, 2012
In "Monogamy," Theo(Chris Messina), a photographer, and Nat(Rashida Jones), a guitarist, may not have much but they have each other.(Theo also plays the piano but has no wish to get up in front an audience like Nat does.) In three and a half months, they will be married, despite his father giving them grief over the lack of money they make. For Theo, that comes from photographing weddings and a side business where he pseudo-surreptitiously takes photos of clients. The latest is Penny(Meital Dohan) who tends to be more revealing than originally imagined.

"Monogamy" gets off to a fine start with its natural performances. It also provides some incisive commentary on all the nonsense and stress that go along with getting married. And then after an improbable plot point, it just runs out of ideas and steam.(Even before this, any scene involving Theo's friends was sucking the oxygen out of the room.) After a while, I was so desperate for any sign of life that I would have happily accepted any cliche you could think of, but no luck there, either. In the end, the movie gets the tone of sexual frustration right while at the same time making the audience extremely frustrated.
½ May 23, 2012
I was pretty indifferent until the end. Really loved the ending, I thought it pulled the whole film together.
February 3, 2012
Saw this. Thought it had a lot of potential but it was a let down. I love Messina in other films like Away We Go. Thought it was too nicely wrapped up in the end. Voyeuristic but didn't push the envelope enough.
½ January 25, 2012
Monogamy follows a bored wedding photographer and his fiance in the months leading up to their marriage. As a side project, Messina's character starts a small company called Gumshoot, where people would pay him to take pictures of them without knowing who he was or where he is. When he begins to take pictures of a mysterious girl that irks his fancy, things take a turn for the worse in his relationship and his overall well being.
The film, although quite slow moving, is shot very well and it moves along at it's own speed quite nicely. Messina and Jones give good performances, and do what they can with a script which could've used a lot of work. The film's themes strike close to home with anyone who is about to get married and is unsure of the decision. The fear of the commitment and the temptations of voyeurism take a huge toll on Messina's character, and his daily life of putting up with the corny married couples while taking photos couldn't help the matter much. The film was a little bland, and although I did enjoy it, I felt like it was a few scenes were a bit unnecessary, and I felt myself losing interest in the story and the characters three quarters of the way through. Overall, I give Monogamy a 6.5/10, noting that with the budget they probably had to work with, it was a good effort, although it could've been made more interesting through the cinematography and mise en scene, in particular with some of the colors used and the lack of symbolism throughout.
½ January 6, 2012
Not Bad, but not good either.Chris Messina as Theo, a guy who doesn't possess the Monogamy Gene & has no business being engaged to get married.When his Girlfriend (Rashida Jones) is in the Hospital, he doesn't answer the phone, is stalking someone else, & barely makes time to see Nat in the Hospital.I think as a Female who's been there, I was disgusted, therefore he did a great job in this role
November 8, 2011
Dana Adam Shapiro is so talented. Its shot so beautifully. Must watch.
½ October 11, 2011
A semi eary movie about a couple that seem to be going through the motions 3 months before they're wedding. And although the movie itself feels intimate, the acting and characters are uninterested. There seems to be something just under the surface bubblingvabout but it never makes itself visible on screen. All thing 'Monogamy' offers are average.
September 8, 2011
Some wonderful moments in this film, but overall, not good enough for a better rating.
½ July 7, 2011
Despite a handful of really touching and frightening moments and a wondefully moody score, it just doesn't go anywhere until a horribly pointless twist. Messina and Jones create great characters that you wish were put in a better plot that actually had something a little less predictable to say about sex, commitment, and the fear that goes with both.
June 26, 2011
Really liked the look and feel of this little gem.
½ June 26, 2011
Photographic style and great song Rap Tap (Jamie Saft featuring B.o.B).
½ June 26, 2011
I agree with the Tomatometer!
½ June 16, 2011
Monogamy jumps around quite liberally, not bothering to explain certain scenes, which produces quite a few plot holes. As a result, it comes off as a twitchy but ultimately tedious and empty gesture.