Critics Consensus: Monsters University is Certified Fresh

Plus, World War Z is smart and tense, and The Bling Ring is stylish and lurid.

This week at the movies, we've got collegiate creatures (Monsters University, with voice performances from Billy Crystal and John Goodman), worldwide walking dead (World War Z, starring Brad Pitt and Mireille Enos), and juvenile jewel thieves (The Bling Ring, starring Emma Watson and Leslie Mann). What do the critics have to say?

Monsters University

78%

It's not unfair to say that Pixar isn't quite what it used to be; the animation studio that dazzled audiences and critics hasn't reached the dizzying creative heights of its 2000s heyday since 2010's Toy Story 3. Still, a decent Pixar movie still beats practically everybody else in the multiplex, and critics say Monsters University is pleasant, funny, and visually resplendent, though it's less imaginative than its predecessor. This prequel to Monsters Inc. shows how diminutive, one-eyed Mike (Billy Crystal) and imposing, blue-furred Sulley (John Goodman) became friends while studying how to frighten children in college. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Monsters University lacks the inventiveness of past triumphs, but it's still warm, witty, and beautifully animated. (Check out this week's Total Recall for a countdown of Goodman's best-reviewed movies, as well as our interviews with the Monsters University cast and crew.)

World War Z

67%

Not every film with a tortured production history is a disaster waiting to happen. Take World War Z, for example: despite extensive reshoots and rescheduled release dates, critics say this is largely a smart horror adventure with several white-knuckle action scenes and a terrific performance from Brad Pitt that helps to offset its patchy narrative. When mankind is threatened by a global zombie outbreak, it's up to ex-United Nations operative Gerry Lane (Pitt) to scour the planet to find the source of the pandemic. The pundits say World War Z sometimes feels overstuffed and under-developed, but for the most part, it's brainy and visceral, with a palpable sense of dread. (Check out this week's 24 Frames for a gallery of memorable zombie movies.)

The Bling Ring

60%

If Sofia Coppola is in the director's chair, you can safely assume her characters will be young, rich, ennui-laden, or some combination thereof. Thus, the heist-happy teens featured in The Bling Ring would seemingly be the perfect Coppola characters, but critics are split; some find the film to be stylish and subversive, while others feel it's shallow and tawdry. Based on a true story, The Bling Ring is the story of a group of teenagers who steal millions in cash and valuables from the homes of folks like including Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Orlando Bloom. The pundits say there's a tabloid fascination to this material that keeps things watchable, but the film's moral detachment keeps the audience at arm's length.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• A Hijacking, a thriller about a Danish cargo ship commandeered by a group of Somali pirates, is Certified Fresh at 100 percent.
  • The Attack, a drama about a prominent Israeli Palestinian whose wife is posthumously accused of being a suicide bomber, is at 92 percent.
  • Unfinished Song, starring Gemma Arterton and Terence Stamp in a dramedy about a grumpy older guy who comes out of his shell when he joins a local choir, is at 64 percent.
  • Maniac, starring Elijah Wood in a thriller about a withdrawn shop owner whose dark side is unleashed, is at 54 percent.
  • The French import Three Worlds, a drama about disparate people who reconnect after a hit-and-run accident, is at 43 percent.
  • Somm, a documentary about a group of wine experts working to pass the demanding Master Sommelier test, is at 33 percent.
  • Rushlights, a thriller about a pair of teens who get into big trouble when they attempt to claim an inheritance under false pretenses, is at zero percent.

Comments

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

To be frank, I am going to skip Monsters University, just because it seems the effort is only on a Brave-like scale, so nothing that may even reach "The Incredibles", "Up" or "Wall-E". And I am going to check-out World War Z, which was sold by the media as being worse than John Carter but seems to be a relatively solid movie.

Jun 20 - 04:23 PM

This comment has been removed.

This comment has been removed.

Daryl Nobbs

Daryl Nobbs

Only two sequels? Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Cars 2 and now Monster's University. The Toy Story sequels were incredible though.

Jun 21 - 02:13 AM

Bradly Martin

I'm still under the impression that these are not just cash grabs....because I just feel like if they were pounding out cash grab sequels we would be up to The Incredibles part 4 by now.

Jun 21 - 06:31 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Yeah I agree. They are not half as bad as Dreamworks. Also a Incredibles sequel is what I want most of all.

Jun 22 - 03:37 PM

Nellie  D.

Nellie Dolly

Are you tired of going office daily? Now you can work at home with Google and make your own hours. This is not scam. On Saturday I got a gorgeous Ariel Atom after earning $6292 this ? four weeks past. I began this six months/ago and right away began to make at least $80.. per-hour. this really is the most financially rewarding Ive had. I work through this link, www.Bling6.com

Jun 27 - 12:39 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

After that Finding Nemo 2.

Jun 21 - 10:26 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

The name is Finding Dory.

Jun 21 - 10:45 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Same shit.

Jun 21 - 04:30 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Haha. Ok then. Mr. Grumpy.

Jun 22 - 03:31 PM

Animation  Fan

Animation Fan

Monsters University is a must see for me. Nothing else interests me this week.

Jun 20 - 04:37 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I'm pleasantly surprised by World War Z's current score. All three of these wide releases look worth checking out.

Jun 20 - 04:46 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I've been looking forward to Monsters University since it was announced. I'm seeing that one next week. World War Z is another one I've been looking forward to so I plan to catch that one as well.

Did anyone else see the trailer for The Lego Movie? I think it looks like a lot of fun. That Batman bit made my day!

Jun 20 - 04:53 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Disappointed in MU's rating. I expected this to be a decent bounce back for Pixar (my favorite film company). That said I will still be on my way to see it.

Jun 20 - 05:06 PM

Bradly Martin

It's not so bad, wasn't the first one rated around this number?

Jun 20 - 07:37 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Monsters Inc. got a 96 I believe.

Jun 20 - 07:40 PM

Big Brother

Nah, the first one is mid to upper 90's.

Jun 20 - 07:41 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Pixar was always in the '90s until Cars. They bounced back after that until Cars 2, and have been in the seventies since.

Jun 20 - 09:13 PM

Bradly Martin

Ah Monster's Inc. What a fantastic film. John Goodman really shined in that. I can't wait till my kids are old enough to understand how emotionally powerful that ending is. ..that or maybe I'm just a wuss ha ha ha.

Jun 21 - 06:33 AM

SecondBest

This Guy

I want to see both WWZ and MU this weekend but I'm poor because I saw both This is the End and Mon of Steel this weekend. Ugh...decisions, decisions. Why am I not rich!?!?!?

Jun 20 - 05:12 PM

J.D Dean

J.D Dean

I'm pretty disappointed in the reviews for Monsters University while for most companies 77% would be good for Pixar it's not so good. That being said I am impressed with World War Z and might check it out and honestly I'll probably see MU as well. And though Lost In Translation is one of my favorites Sofia Coppola's last film somewhere wasn't very good so I don't have high hopes for Bling Ring.

Jun 20 - 05:27 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I'll go see "Monsters University" just so I can see how it turned out; "World War Z" I'm not super interested in, but I might give it a look if I hear more good things about it. I didn't see "Man of Steel" last week, and from the reviews I'm not sure it's worth the money. Those are the only three I'm interested in.

Jun 20 - 06:20 PM

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

Let's switch gears to Man of Steel real quick. What kind of drugs were the critics on who reviewed that movie and gave it a rotten review. It was easily my second favorite superhero movie behind only Avengers. I finally got to see what I have wanted to see for a long time...Superman kicking a little ass. I love how people are saying they used to much CGI, guess what this kind of movie requires it. The battle at the end is what I would expect would happen if Superman faced off against Zod. Great movie, no way it deserves a rotten rating.

Jun 20 - 06:54 PM

Big Brother

It's got a lot of pretty obvious flaws that left it open to critical scorn and when people say too much CGI, what they really mean is the CGI was obviously carrying the movie at the expense of story, dialog and narrative cohesion.

Jun 20 - 07:44 PM

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

It's a freaking Superman movie..the dialogue and story was perfect. I got to see exactly what I wanted, some back story and Superman throwing down.

Jun 20 - 08:01 PM

Big Brother

and you've pretty much just hit the nail on the head why you're not a movie critic. Some people require a bit more than repetitive cut rate back story and CGI punching. It's awesome that you enjoyed it and thought it was great, but dissing critics who wanted more story and character development is pretty weak.

Jun 20 - 08:36 PM

Big Brother

Your comment probably made a lot of Hollywood producers happy though, they've been trying to convince audiences all they need is good CGI special effects and monsters/robots/Kryptonians bashing each other for years. Saves them the trouble of having to be creative.

Jun 20 - 08:42 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Brother the critics were wrong, suck it up and deal - the majority of viewers thought the movie was fine. You make it sound like being a movie critic takes any skill at all besides being able to type.

Jun 20 - 11:00 PM

Big Brother

So are the critics wrong about Twilight? Transformers II? Paranormal activity? All movie's that fans loved, but are just bad movies. People mistakenly think a critics sole job is to tell them if a movie's enjoyable, it's not. "The Majority of viewers thought the movie was fine". True, so did the majority of critics and that's what the movie was, fine. Just fine. Amazes me that someone with your attitude would come to a site who's central premise is to give a consensus on critical reviews for movies.

Jun 21 - 12:49 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I'm pretty sure only 12% of people that watched those films enjoyed them. Critics gave PA3 a 70%.

Jun 21 - 01:58 AM

Bradly Martin

Does anybody remember if Clark or Lois got the Kryptonia UPS (I think they were calling it a Codex) back after she plugged it into Zod's ship so Ghost dad could help her escape? If she did get it back how could Ghost Dad have been there to tell clark to save everyone? Was there a point to Zod searching for the Codex after Lois just gives it to him on a Silver Platter? How come Ghost Dad can Star Trek Whoosh all the doors but not just shut down the entire ship? How did he know the way out? Are Krypton ships a lot like Targets? All the same in Floor plans? Anybody else like Krypton UPS more then Codex?

I wish I could see that first Flight scene in IMAX again...

Jun 21 - 06:38 AM

Bradly Martin

The Dialogue was perfect? "We have a child Zod! a Boy Child!" pffft. "I am a pulitzer Prize Winning journalist Perry and you can't fire me!" Pffft. Perry White wants proof of her snow rescuer? How about the Gruesome scar Lois! SHOW HIM OUR GRUESOME SCAR! Chasing the Urban Legends to track him down? A semi truck bent in half isn't an urban legend...its modern day Evidence. Oil Rig goes up in flames? Nobody filmed that? The coast guard wasn't filming that? You can't even fall down in a supermarket in todays day and age with out ending up on Youtube....OH yeah spot on Script!

Jun 21 - 06:41 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Zod deleted his father from the codex, and seeing as he can ONLY APEAR IN THE SHIPS HE CREATED of course he can't be outside.
Plus, a gruesome scar can be the result of anything.
About how no one is filming... okay so when you're going to rescue a group of people about to die, you need to take a second and pick up a camera or phone rather than help people?

Jun 21 - 08:04 AM

Bradly Martin

Yeah. The coast guard has to film everything. From a sinking boat, to a oil rig explosion. Doesn't anybody here watch Deadliest catch? Doesn't anybody here now some one in the Coast Guard? From Air Strikes to Air Rescues they film EVERYTHING!

I don't ask a lot from films but the way people talk and act makes it seem like they all had a "Come on man, just go with it...It's Fun!" Attitude. Also I was really bummed the Truck being utterly destroyed didn't come back. She's all talking about Chasing urban legends when Clark has left more then enough evidence of all this travels.

Don't you think that would have been fun? Have a trucker say "Nobody Believes me, even though the Truck is right there Nobody believes me!" Instead the script just ops to ignore everything.

I do love discussing this film though, so why do you think Clark wasn't put in a class with other autistic kids?

Jun 21 - 08:42 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

First off, it's a UBS. UPS is a delivery service. Second of all, it's not the Codex, that's - spoiler! - in Superman's bloodcells. I'm surprised you didn't take advangtage of this because if you want to make fun of the script, that's one of the dumber aspects of it.

Jun 21 - 09:46 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Twilight and Transformers were rated rather poorly and deservedly so. I'm not sure where the love for PA comes from, I guess if a horror film isn't awful these days they give it a good score. Anyway, I admit that Man of Steel had issues and won't entirely dispute it could have been better, yet much of it is nitpicking.

Jun 21 - 10:31 AM

Dave J

No, you're misunderstanding what Bigbrother is saying! Although both "Twilight" and "Transformers" movies received somewhat low tomato scores on RT- they were rated higher on the users/ audience scores! And there are plenty of movies which the overall consensus of users enjoyed movies that the critics do not, and vice versa!

Jun 21 - 03:18 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

No, I do understand as those films he mentioned deserved low scores from both critic and audience.

Jun 21 - 04:31 PM

Dave J

No, that is "only" your opinion that those movies deserve low scores but the overall audience consensus say otherwise as "Twilight" scores 49% on RT- it did score a positive 82% on the audience's metre, "Transformers" only got 57% on RT while it scored an 89% for the audience! Just because you say so, it doesn't mean that it has to!

Jun 24 - 12:57 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Man of steel was not that good and it has a fitting tomatometter. I'm pretty sure it won't stand the test of time as well as other movies, I guess we'll see how much staying power it has this weekend.

Jun 21 - 06:44 AM

Edwin A.

Edwin Avila

I am starting to think MoS is like the twilight for guys. I saw the movie and i'm starting to realize that, which really sucks

Jun 22 - 07:02 PM

Bradly Martin

It's not so bad, wasn't the first one rated around this number?

Jun 20 - 07:37 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Monsters Inc. got a 96 I believe.

Jun 20 - 07:40 PM

Big Brother

Nah, the first one is mid to upper 90's.

Jun 20 - 07:41 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Jun 20 - 09:13 PM

Jun 21 - 06:33 AM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Monsters Inc. got a 96 I believe.

Jun 20 - 07:40 PM

Bradly Martin

Hey any critics who said Man of steel was bad because of CGI are absolutely insane for enjoying World War Z! I admit it, I love Ridiculous and funny horror movies but something tells me World War Z isn't suppose to be one regardless of how Funny it looks.

Jun 20 - 07:41 PM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

MoS has a weak script, only decent directing and a couple of really weirdly stupid scenes that weaken the film.

Jun 21 - 06:45 AM

Big Brother

Nah, the first one is mid to upper 90's.

Jun 20 - 07:41 PM

Jun 20 - 11:00 PM

Jun 21 - 12:49 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Jun 21 - 01:58 AM

Bradly Martin

I wish I could see that first Flight scene in IMAX again...

Jun 21 - 06:38 AM

Jun 21 - 06:41 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Plus, a gruesome scar can be the result of anything.

Jun 21 - 08:04 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 21 - 04:31 PM

Jun 24 - 12:57 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

A well-reviewed zombie movie that isn't a parody or a new perspective (like WARM BODIES)? I'm in! I'll also watch MONSTERS U because I saw the 1st, although I don't know if this prequel will give us new insights about the characters.

I think Sofia Coppola is a great director but not such a great writer. I mean, her best movie (THE VIRGIN SUICIDES) was adapted. I thought maybe she could give us insight into the lives of shallow people (as she has in the past), but critics say otherwise and I'll believe them. Besides, it's not a good sign when you make a movie about a recent event that was already filmed in a TV movie.

Jun 20 - 07:49 PM

Jun 20 - 11:00 PM

Jun 21 - 12:49 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Jun 21 - 01:58 AM

Bradly Martin

I wish I could see that first Flight scene in IMAX again...

Jun 21 - 06:38 AM

Jun 21 - 06:41 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Plus, a gruesome scar can be the result of anything.

Jun 21 - 08:04 AM

Jun 20 - 08:36 PM

Jun 20 - 08:42 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday