Monterey Pop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monterey Pop Reviews

½ March 5, 2011
as a collection of performances, this is fairly decent. I want to hand-pick the artists I really enjoy and get full sets from them, but of course in a project of this sort that is impossible. Some of the performances felt so-so, but there is a surprisingly large number of really cool stuff featured here.
½ January 22, 2011
Awesome snapshot. Really well filmed. Fantastic sound and amazing performances. It was nice watching this after Gimme Shelter, which is equally as good, but totally different.
August 29, 2010
Great documentary capturing the Monterey Pop Festival of 1967, with a slew of now-legendary acts. Janis Joplin, the Mamas and Papas, Canned Heat, and Otis Redding, only months before his death that same year. And who can forget The Who's rowdy performance of "My Generation" complete with Pete Townshend's destructive antics, only to be topped by Jimi Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, and then smashing his guitar?

Ravi Shankar's ending piece rounds off what was one of the most notable music festivals of the 1960's, topped later by Woodstock.
July 27, 2010
It doesn't have quite the power Woodstock, but Monterey Pop is still a time capsule, featuring some of the greatest musicians.
June 12, 2010
WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW BADLY I WANT TO SEE THIS. Micky Dolenz is somewhere in the audience in Ravi Shanakar's part c:
½ April 19, 2010
When the music was real - long before Simon what's his name....
April 9, 2010
I liked a good deal of the performances, especially The Who and Janis Joplin, but too many groups (Hugh Masekela, Country Joe & The Fish) were just too weird for me to enjoy.
March 30, 2010
Love this movie, but there are two major flaws: 1) it's too short at barely 1 hour 40 minutes and 2) the Ravi Shankar sitar bit seems to last at least 20 minutes, taking up the lion's share of the movies. Plenty more acts could have been featured who were there. Watch carefully for Brian Jones and Mickey Dolenz.
½ January 17, 2010
This was a great concert documentary directed by D.A. Pennebaker and Produced by John Phillips and Lou Adler! It had a lot of great performances on it that were dynamite! And it was awesome seeing the memorable scenes of both Pete Townshend and Jimi Hendrix destroying their guitars after their performances! This is probably one of the greatest concert films prior to Woodstock!
January 9, 2010
A film about the greatest pre-Woodstock rock music festival. All in all, Monterey Pop is a precious, rare look at a time period that still holds sway over us.
½ January 4, 2010
Even the best of concert films (*cough* Stop Making Sense *cough*) depend on how much you like the music involved. And with a festival/omnibus concert film, it's guaranteed you're not going to like all of it. This is pretty much evenly divided among stuff I love, stuff I like, stuff I hate and stuff I couldn't give a shit about. Jefferson Airplane, The Mamas and the Papas and Canned Heat can all go to hell. The Animals and Hugh Masekela and a couple of other ones were just boring. I love Simon & Garfunkel, but I hate "59th Street Bridge", so that was a wash. As for the highlights: Janis Joplin is someone I'm lukewarm on, but her performance was blistering. The Who's appearance was all too brief (and rather sloppy) but is well supplemented by the outtakes elsewhere on the disc. Hendrix of course was a terrific showman, and Otis Redding was phenomenal (and the most interestingly filmed sequence of the movie, shooting directly behind him with the spotlight sometimes blinding the viewer). Looking forward to the longer versions of their sets on the other disc. But the best is wisely saved for last: an astonishing, electrifying 17-minute raga by Ravi Shankar. I felt that some of Pennebaker's editing decisions were rather arbitrary and sometimes just wrong. Frankly I think the guy is a little overrated, but there's a few nice touches here.
January 3, 2010
Inspirational music and costumes
December 24, 2009
JIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 28, 2009
A great document of an important cultural event in our country. The breakthrough performances of Jimi Hendrix and The Who, and really a huge moment in rock history, maybe even as much as Woodstock. The performance by Ravi Shankar at the end is worth watching the movie in itself. It is amazing to watch him perform. I wish there was more behind the scenes or interviews with musicians and audience, but as a performance document this is top notch.
November 18, 2009
Great flashback music history. very Interesting.
November 16, 2009
The definitive concert film.
November 15, 2009
Cool doc. Some great moments caught on film, especially Hendrix setting his guitar on fire.
October 22, 2009

Marvelous.

Freedom.

Love.
October 20, 2009
Greater than the sum of its parts, Criterion's THE COMPLETE MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL boxed set is a fantastic home video experience.
October 20, 2009
Jimi Hendrix was AWESOME.
I wish i could have seen it all!