Monterey Pop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monterey Pop Reviews

June 12, 2010
WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW BADLY I WANT TO SEE THIS. Micky Dolenz is somewhere in the audience in Ravi Shanakar's part c:
½ April 19, 2010
When the music was real - long before Simon what's his name....
April 9, 2010
I liked a good deal of the performances, especially The Who and Janis Joplin, but too many groups (Hugh Masekela, Country Joe & The Fish) were just too weird for me to enjoy.
March 30, 2010
Love this movie, but there are two major flaws: 1) it's too short at barely 1 hour 40 minutes and 2) the Ravi Shankar sitar bit seems to last at least 20 minutes, taking up the lion's share of the movies. Plenty more acts could have been featured who were there. Watch carefully for Brian Jones and Mickey Dolenz.
½ January 17, 2010
This was a great concert documentary directed by D.A. Pennebaker and Produced by John Phillips and Lou Adler! It had a lot of great performances on it that were dynamite! And it was awesome seeing the memorable scenes of both Pete Townshend and Jimi Hendrix destroying their guitars after their performances! This is probably one of the greatest concert films prior to Woodstock!
January 9, 2010
A film about the greatest pre-Woodstock rock music festival. All in all, Monterey Pop is a precious, rare look at a time period that still holds sway over us.
½ January 4, 2010
Even the best of concert films (*cough* Stop Making Sense *cough*) depend on how much you like the music involved. And with a festival/omnibus concert film, it's guaranteed you're not going to like all of it. This is pretty much evenly divided among stuff I love, stuff I like, stuff I hate and stuff I couldn't give a shit about. Jefferson Airplane, The Mamas and the Papas and Canned Heat can all go to hell. The Animals and Hugh Masekela and a couple of other ones were just boring. I love Simon & Garfunkel, but I hate "59th Street Bridge", so that was a wash. As for the highlights: Janis Joplin is someone I'm lukewarm on, but her performance was blistering. The Who's appearance was all too brief (and rather sloppy) but is well supplemented by the outtakes elsewhere on the disc. Hendrix of course was a terrific showman, and Otis Redding was phenomenal (and the most interestingly filmed sequence of the movie, shooting directly behind him with the spotlight sometimes blinding the viewer). Looking forward to the longer versions of their sets on the other disc. But the best is wisely saved for last: an astonishing, electrifying 17-minute raga by Ravi Shankar. I felt that some of Pennebaker's editing decisions were rather arbitrary and sometimes just wrong. Frankly I think the guy is a little overrated, but there's a few nice touches here.
January 3, 2010
Inspirational music and costumes
December 24, 2009
JIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 28, 2009
A great document of an important cultural event in our country. The breakthrough performances of Jimi Hendrix and The Who, and really a huge moment in rock history, maybe even as much as Woodstock. The performance by Ravi Shankar at the end is worth watching the movie in itself. It is amazing to watch him perform. I wish there was more behind the scenes or interviews with musicians and audience, but as a performance document this is top notch.
November 18, 2009
Great flashback music history. very Interesting.
November 16, 2009
The definitive concert film.
November 15, 2009
Cool doc. Some great moments caught on film, especially Hendrix setting his guitar on fire.
October 22, 2009

Marvelous.

Freedom.

Love.
October 20, 2009
Greater than the sum of its parts, Criterion's THE COMPLETE MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL boxed set is a fantastic home video experience.
October 20, 2009
Jimi Hendrix was AWESOME.
I wish i could have seen it all!
½ October 20, 2009
this is a great doc. about the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, amazing performances are the stand outs including Ravi Shankar, Jimi Hendrix,The Who, Janis Jopin and others. love it
October 20, 2009
Otis, Jimi, and Janis cut through everything like a chain saw.
Dracula787
August 23, 2009
This film documents the titular music festival that was said to be a precursor to Woodstock. Such claims of inspiration seem a bit dubious as this was clearly a much more modest endeavor than that legendary 1969 concert. This festival was not done on a giant stage in front of millions of mud covered hippies. Rather, this seemed to have occurred in a variety of indoor venues over a couple of days. Similarly, the documentary of this isn?t nearly as wide in scope as the Woodstock documentary. There is not much documentation of the crowds or the scene, this is strictly interested in filming musical performances, what?s more, each act only gets one song for the most part. So basically we get a handful of high energy performances by some great musicians, but as a film it?s not all that special.
½ August 2, 2009
Purely performance, "Monterey Pop" is the concert film that set the style for future musical documentaries to come. It is wonderfully filmed in colour and hypnotically drenched in the sounds of The Mamas and the Papas, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Ravi Shankar, Simon and Garfunkel and more. If nothing else, this is a good watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.