A Month by the Lake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Month by the Lake Reviews

November 1, 2015
A Month by the Lake is an enjoyable film. It is about Miss Bentley has been spending April at an elegant hillside villa on Lake Como for 16 years. Vanessa Redgrave and Uma Thurman give excellent performances. The screenplay is pretty good but a little slow in places. John Irvin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. A Month by the Lake is a must see.
½ November 3, 2012
Vanessa Redgrave is in her most charming role here. And I hated and loved Uma Thurman's character here. Beautiful, funny and sexy.
½ January 21, 2012
Absolute rubbish! Silly dialogue and far from believable characters... I want my 90 mins back... My star is only for the lovely location the actors embarrassed themselves in...
June 25, 2011
The luminosity of the stars keep this lightweight comedy from falling flat.
½ April 5, 2011
I should have loved this movie. It is an enchanting, romantic, understated, proper English comedy set in 1937 in Northern Italy, primarily at an elegant seaside resort in beautiful Lake Como. Miss Bentley (Vanessa Redgrave) is a middle-aged British spinster. She is lively, pretty, friendly, and open to love. She happens across a middle-aged stuffy major in the British army (Edward Fox) at breakfast on the terrace one beautiful morning and they begin a friendship, much to Miss Bentley's glee. Enter a young American woman, an exuberant and flirty nanny, Miss Beaumont, played by Uma Thurman. These are the main characters. The film is intended to be witty, charming, lovely, and understated. It succeeds - to a degree. The charms of Lake Como for the 1937 upper-class are quite evident. The women's costumes are sheer and flowing, and the lines are long and sleek. The gentlemen are stylishly casual with ascots and dress pants. The sun is shining and the landscapes are lush. But there are problems: the pace is far too slow; Vanessa Redgrave is too old to act like a skipping, frolicking, school girl; Edward Fox as Major Wilshire is not appealing in any way; and Uma Thurman is just there, attempting to be coy and cutesy, but failing, in my opinion. All the elements for a wonderful story are present, but they are not achieved because of the miscasting of all three characters. I'd like to see it again, exactly the same, except with Helen Mirren, Christopher Plummer, and Scarlett Johannson.
May 23, 2010
love the story & the scenery
amazing
July 1, 2009
this movie could have been amazing. it has the plotline and the actors. but it was horrible, especially because I was expecting a lot from it. very badly filmed.
June 2, 2009
A very sweet movie! Very good actors, a great scenery and an overall avery, very good movie.
½ March 18, 2009
Okay here's the scoop, REDGRAVE is awesome,and so is her character , this will keep you watching. I was sick with a cold and sleepy, this movie was perfect for that. Beautifully filmed, Lake Como ('ish) and a multi-layered story if you wish to delve.
So its a good one for something to watch and smile inside without a lot of work. Its a forgettable film however as most of the characters are drab.
July 17, 2008
Quirky but lovely. I love the scenery of Lake Como in Italy. You get lost in it. Like a warm blanket on a cold day, the movie fills you with comfort as the different characters dance around each other's true emotions until honesty bares all.
July 3, 2008
watch this again as i'm going to lake como this month..it is so lovely and beautiful..the story is touching and real and the setting spectacular..gorgeous italian boys too mamma mia..don't see Miss Bentley as a spinster tho or you'll miss the point of her character
June 9, 2008
Interesting character piece, nice light entertainment - the beautiful Lake Como setting almost steals the show. Redgrave does a nice job with the "spinster with a past" character she's given. Edward Fox is the quintessential stiff English gentleman. Uma Thurman is an odd casting choice, and seems out of place with the ensemble.
jjnxn
April 14, 2008
Beautiful scenery and a bewitching Vanessa Redgrave make this a lovely viewing experience, Uma is out of her depth here.
March 9, 2008
I want to live in Cuomo.
November 14, 2007
quirky characters and a really fun time for a period film
½ November 10, 2007
I saw it because of Thurman and she was as always, great. The movie? Well, not exactly intresting or full of suspence... But I might see it again to see if I've changed my mind.
October 25, 2007
I was shocked at how much this movie grew on me. I didn't start out liking but by the end I thought was charming and wonderful. The scenery was goregous and the cast was terrific.
½ October 13, 2007
Not quite as good as expected.
October 6, 2007
A great cast, great cinematography, and a charming story. Vanessa Redgrave, Edward Fox, and Uma Thurman were all a joy.