Monty Python Almost the Truth Obligatory Making of Special - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monty Python Almost the Truth Obligatory Making of Special Reviews

April 29, 2013
Great, entertaining, in-depth documentary on Monty Python - from them meeting in ~1968 right through to Spamalot in the late 90's. Quite fast-paced & never boring, even though it goes for about 5 hours, although that's over 6 episodes. Great use of clips from the show/movies and interviews with great comedians & actors.
March 4, 2013
The story of Monty Python is almost on a par with that of the Beatles and in some parts the two do of course interconnect with George Harrison throwing his weight behind The life of Brian.
Like the Beatles there are moments of greatness interspersed by bickering, heavy drinking accusations of blasphemy and of course death.
The surviving Pythons are gathered together here for almost six hours of memories and storys of how they came to be the greatest comedy group ever assembled.
The film traces the teams routes in early TV and how they all eventually got togehter to write the definitive comedy series where everything was totally off the wall.and nothing was left to chance.

What emerges when you watch the film is that despite the massive personality clashes, most notably Terry Jones and John Cleese the whole thing somehow came off.
the film takes time to profile each Python and the others give their views on each other.
Yes Michael Palin is the nicest ,and Eric Idle is in love with Money but there are some suprises and laughs on the way ,my fave being Terry Jones going to a next door soundstage seeing where Gilliam was Shooting his Short The Crimson Permanat assurance and realising where the money was going while he was directing The Meaning Of Life.
The film is of course packed with the classic sketches and the work that was involed creating these memorable and ever quotable sketches.
The film also devotes an individual episode to The Holy Grail and The life of Brian showing how both films were made and how despite some massive issues they came to be made .
If like me you caught repeats of the TV series and wondered what the hell you were watching this film puts meat on the bones of what made the Pythons so great despite such different personalities.
October 9, 2012
Monty Python: Almost the Truth - The Lawyer's Cut is a documentary about the history of the comedy troupe Mony Python, and if you don't know who they are, shame on you. I loved this documentary and I've watched it over and over again. I watched it when it premiered on IFC and I eventually bought it on Blu-ray. It's all encompassing, very funny at times and very informative (even though most Python fans complain it covers much of the same territory that's been covered in previous documentaries). If I had a complaint about it, it would be that six hours just wasn't enough. Thankfully the extras on the Blu-ray include extended interviews and other tidbits. This is a great companion piece to the Python legacy.
½ May 22, 2012
I'm a huge Python fan, so a 6 hour documentary about the history of the group is nothing but exciting to me. Luckily, it doesn't disappoint, and it follows a similar format to the Beatles Anthology, another great documentary series about a group I love. Almost the Truth is in depth, smart, and funny story of the famous and influential comedy group. I think this is a far more worthwhile way to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Python, than the Idle Oratorio was, but both can be a fun thing to check out if you are in a Python mood.
February 2, 2012
very interesting about monty python and what the people are doing now.
September 19, 2011
This thoroughly engaging 6+ hours documentary is full of immensely interesting monologues from, and interviews with, the 6 Pythons themselves, their more frequent collaborators, and other comedians influenced by their absurd genius (including Dan Aykroyd, Steve Coogan & Russell Brand); the most fascinating parts (along with the rock star anecdotes), however, are the totally candid exploration of the interaction between four huge personalities, two distinct writing camps (with Eric Idle as the independent "free radical") and the resulting, often tense, surprisingly random, but always inspired creative processes that farted some of the funniest and most twisted comedy skits of all time into existence... An absolute must for all self-respecting Python fans!
½ March 18, 2011
saw this in parts, not full was shown on tv, but this is for DVD collection must get one
January 23, 2011
King Arthur: look you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left.

Black knight: just a flesh wound.

This was made here in the uk, councils
January 5, 2011
Very long (six hours), but a very interesting examination of how the members of this group interacted and pulled off their material.
FilmFanatik
December 23, 2010
I love, love, love this documentary and have watched it over and over again. I watched it when it premiered on IFC and I eventually bought it on Blu-ray. It very much is all encompassing, very funny at times and very informative (even though most Python fans complain it covers much of the same territory that's been covered in previous documentaries). If I had a complaint about it, it would be that six hours just isn't enough!
December 9, 2010
A great and funny documentary made for die hard Python fans ( like myself) but still entetaining to others!
August 10, 2010
Very interesting documentary
July 24, 2010
When I watch a documentary more than once, it's a good indicator that it was better than good!
½ May 15, 2010
Really good documentary with lots of interviews with the Pythons, people they knew, and people they inspired. Lengthy, but broken up into 6 one hour segements.
April 15, 2010
You just have to like it if you love the Python's...
½ April 12, 2010
A fun documentary-- a refreshing look down familiar paths, plus a peek into the minds of the Pythons themselves. Which can be alarming.
February 10, 2010
A decent doc on the cast of Monty Python, loaded with clips and interviews and a really funny opening credits with a "Goldfinger" song parody. For all it's slickness I think only die hard Python fans will find it gripping.
January 3, 2010
Essential viewing. Highly recommended.
½ December 28, 2009
If you're a fan this is the...um...holy grail