Moonlight Mile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Mile Reviews

March 6, 2012
cute romantic movie, about people who need to learn to move on basically. chick flick.
½ March 2, 2012
Susan Sarandon and Dustin Hoffman perfectly capture the grief of parents who have lost their only child to senseless violence, and Gyllenhaal is well cast as the fiance who struggles to do the right thing.
½ February 22, 2012
Stellar performances all-around, though I still find Jake Gyllenhaal off-putting. I suppose it fits in this movie, so I'll let it slide. The religious imagery is a bit overdone, but I like the way this movie deals with the psychological factor of overcoming tragedy. Plus, Susan Sarandon's character is just so fascinating (at least, to me.) Pompeo really shines here, too.
February 8, 2012
A good story about people who lost a loved one and the events that unfold after.
December 18, 2011
going to watch it now on tv
½ November 7, 2011
An amazing cast set in a pretty good movie. The movie is very sad and I suggest a stack of kleenexes.
October 29, 2011
"Moonlight Mile" is so good because it sets itself up in a really intriguing way, and has a pretty unique follow through. The cast is excellent, the story is intriguing, and Brad Silberling's direction allows you to have pretty strong ties with all of the characters. It's really well done.

A husband and wife lose their only child, and her fiance moves in with them. Over the course of him staying with them, we learn new information about everyone, including relationships, and whereabouts of specific people. If it sounds like this synopsis is a little vague, than your right. It's been kind of a long time since I've seen this movie. I think it's been about a year, so its kind of hard to remember all of the story. But I remember how well done it was. And I think that's all that counts.

Anyway this movie was particularly great because of it's acting. Susan Sarandon, Dustin Hoffman, and Jake Gyllenhaal were all absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Seriously, they really brought out the big guns for this movie. I think what was so good about it was how real the entire execution seemed. Each character has such depth, that its hard to comprehend that your actually watching a movie for some of the film. I think my actual favorite was Sarandon in this one. There were just some scenes where she really made you tear up. She was absolutely perfect. But it's hard to pick a favorite from these 3 heavy-weights. They were all really good.

From what I remember, the cinematography was really well done. The funeral scene in the beginning, and the ending of the film had such vibrant colors and a distinct style from what I can recall. The film had this great aesthetic presentation, and you know that that always helps a movie. Really good stuff here.

This review isn't long because like I said, I don't really remember a whole lot, and I guess that's a problem. I don't want to say that I don't remember a whole lot, because if I don't remember it, how can it be a good movie right? Well lets disregard my shortcomings and discuss how this movie is great. The acting is brilliant, the story is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant, everything is brilliant. "Moonlight Mile" is a movie to watch, because of it's realism, and because of it's proximity to the heart. I highly recommend it.
July 17, 2011
Jake and Ellen - what a great pairing. I love these actors, and they are joined with an awesome ensemble cast, including Susan Sarandon and Dustin Hoffman. The characters are believable as they depict a story of grief, guilt, and figuring out life and their place in it. It's so far removed from a fairy tale that it makes loving it so much more beautiful. The real-ness, the honesty, the emotion - it makes a great film. Not to mention, I think the soundtrack is phenomenal, too.
½ June 24, 2011
this period piece/rom-com set in the 1970's
½ April 17, 2011
finally getting around to seeing this movie. it's a great movie :)
good acting and good story.
xxdebxx
½ April 7, 2011
In "Moonlight Mile" a middle aged couple (Dustin Hoffman as Ben and Susan Sarandon as Jo Jo), along with their prospective son-in-law Joe (Jake Gyllenhaal) attempt to come to terms with the sudden, senseless murder of their daughter Diane who was killed in a domestic dispute between two other people just three days before her wedding.

Unbeknownst to Ben and Jo Jo, Joe and Diana had broken up, but Ben is so determined to keep him a part of the family that Joe feels compelled to stay. He decides to remain in town living with her parents to help them deal with their shock and grief. They also have to deal with the murder trial of the gunman, whose wife and his intended target awakens from her coma just as the trial is about to start.

Joe struggles to move beyond the emotional and material expectations which his broken engagement has left him to fulfill, trying not to disappoint his would-be in-laws while at the same time wanting to embark on a new life and a new relationship with a woman he has recently met. Ellen Pompeo is also wonderful as Bertie, the mail clerk and part-time waitress who is no stranger to tragedy losing her own boyfriend as well. Her uncertainty about her future provides Joe some insight into his own psyche.

Holly Hunter's plays the tough, single-minded prosecutor prosecuting the man who is responsible for Diane's death who needs Joe's help to bring Diane's murderer to justice.
March 19, 2011
This is probably the only Jake movie that i will ever give 2 stars. Lol
March 18, 2011
Funny, I really liked it a lot more the first time I saw it. This latest viewing - not as much. Jake Gyllenhaal was so BOYISH, it was kinda off-putting...
March 18, 2011
filmiczek. nie trzeba ogladac, nie trzeba lubic. mimo super obsady.
February 21, 2011
Wow I was totally blown away by this movie.
January 31, 2011
Really sad story, but a fantastic movie. And Holly Hunter is uber hott! :)
½ January 27, 2011
An interesting drama deliivered by good actors.
½ October 18, 2010
This is a very forgettable film. Can't quite pinpoint why. The acting is topnotch, but the story and script itself just drags on so long.
October 3, 2010
Quirky but compelling film about the sudden loss of a beloved family member. I liked its honest and poignant portrayal of grief without getting too sentimental, all based on the experiences of writer-director Brad Silberling. Great cast, writing and music make this underrated gem a must see.
September 14, 2010
Really a great movie in every respect. A very distinct visual style, unique story and an a perfect cast. The 70s atmosphere somehow fits perfectly into the plot, maybe because Jake Gyllenhaal's character emulates the generation almost exactly. The sense of loss is done well, it's not like every other movie where someone dies. This shows the true awkwardness that comes along with a funeral service, false attachment and mixed emotions. Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon play pretty different characters than they're used to, there's a very weak and childish way in how they act. This is a movie that is very particular in its message and it succeeds completely. It becomes such a powerful experience by the end.