Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
Wes Anderson finally made it, the film he wanted to make since he became a director, and that's notable since it seems like his most personal work. Moonrise Kingdom has that characteristic Anderson-esque style and as always his characterization is beyond words, but it is in this film that all seems to fit perfectly.
Dealin with a noble and warm topic such as kid love, coming of age and the need to get away, Anderson and screenwriter Roman Coppola manage to capture the most of this and framed it in such an immaculate way it's subtle. The directing is outstanding as always, but seems has new touches that makes it feel fresh. The actings are plain perfect, even on secondary characters, and the characterization is as good. What really stands out in this film, is the music. Through the whole movie the music makes you get deeper and deeper into the movie, makes you feel as the characters feel and just transports you into Camp Ivanhoe.
All technical aspects aside, Moonrise Kingdom is a touching film, that gives hope on a realistic level, that gives you a smile with great wit, that take you back to memory lane in a nostalgic journey as you remember your own first kiss, your experience of love and makes you embrace that feelings for a momment and forget about everything, that is cinema, that's what it's all about, making you feel.
Maybe the characters have no place in the real world, maybe some events seem absurd, but so what? There really isn't any valid argument to diminish this beatifull piece of art from a director that just seems to get better and better with every movie. Thank you Wes Anderson.
January 16, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is a pretty good coming of age movie with a lot of weirdness along the way. Though I enjoyed it, it didn't really stand out that much...there are way better coming of age movies. I also think it's an overrated film, in no way is their "brilliant" or a "masterpiece" like others believe it to be. But, overall, it was still solid but still a little too weird for me (the style I mean). I don't see myself rewatching this movie, it's just not one of those
Rating: GOOD 3/5 OR 6/10
January 15, 2017
Charming and whimsical, herein is a call to separate from the lousy group that treats you badly, and to lovingly embrace yourself. If someone else wants to embrace you: that's even better. Wes Anderson on steroids.
January 7, 2017
Not awesome but really good. Makes you long for the good old days of childhood when you believed pretty much anything was possible, and through your eyes as a kid everything was serious and important, which I believe how Wes was looking at this movie when he was writing and directing it.
January 5, 2017
quieky funny and poignant. Good.
½ January 3, 2017
Insofar as it succeeds, it is in spite, rather than because, of the trademark Wes Andersonisms.
December 31, 2016
Unorthodox but pleasantly bizarre. I was never fully caught up with the spirit of the movie because I never quite figured out the structure of both the events in the movie and its cinematography. It made for some interesting viewing though, and to anyone who doesn't get lost by Anderson's style there is an entertaining, heartwarming story to experience.
December 24, 2016
I love everyting about this movie. Wes Anderson keeps getting better and better.
December 7, 2016
ONE WORD: AMAZING (plus all the other describing words that I know!)
December 2, 2016
Moonrise Kingdom is a whimsical film. It is about a pair of young lovers flee their New England town. Bruce Willis and Tilda Swinton give fantastic performances. The script is good but a little slow in places. Wes Anderson did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure. Moonrise Kingdom is a must see.
December 1, 2016
Wes Anderson's masterpiece
½ November 27, 2016
I really really don't get why this movie is good. It's not at all interesting, it's just weird for me.
November 19, 2016
This magical land of Khaki Scouts and first loves in Anderson symmetry, kodachrrome landscape and costumes... and incredible orchestration (and choir) -- is the great American story that rescued me from the Trump dump.
November 15, 2016
Third time watching.... such a great movie.
October 30, 2016
Another signature Wes Anderson piece. Intense internal emotions were elicited without the audience even noticing as the hard-to-swallow topics tackled in the movie were perfectly disguised under the curious and delightful delivery. A wonderful watch whether you want a laugh or want to think for days
October 27, 2016
This was great. Any Anderson fan will enjoy
October 23, 2016
Wes Anderson's impeccable visual style and colorful characters win over audiences once again in Moonrise Kingdom.
October 22, 2016
one of my personal favorites. Wes Anderson at his best.
½ October 10, 2016
Peculiar. Cute. Beguiling. Innocent. This is the first Wes Anderson movie that I have seen in full, and I feel troubled. The 12-year-old female lead Kara Hayward loves stories that take a person dying for adventure into a new world full of seemingly infinite possibilities, only to discover how finite they really are. How metaphysical of Wes. He has the style, all right, and even better, he has the wit to pull off this story of prepubescent love written for the eyes of tired adults. Had there been a better explanation as to how our two main characters met, which is important to consider in the circumstances of living on such a small, isolated island and them being "emotionally disturbed," I would deem the plot to be flawless. That ultimately matters little in the adventure, for the film's strength rides more dependently on everything else -- the strangely skewed dialogue, the true-to-its-own-world performances, the colours, the landscapes. This movie is so pretty! How it must feel to see the world as if you knew everything you wanted in life, and you could get it. Bill Murray's character knows better. Bruce Willis' character knows better. Frances McDormand's character especially knows better. Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward do not need to know though, not now anyway.
October 8, 2016
One of Wes Anderson's best. Amazing characters, wonderful story, and stunning cinematography. Watch it. You're in for a treat.