Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

March 12, 2016
Bad acting and forced scenes
½ March 10, 2016
With Anderson's innovative directing this adaptation is astounding, truly one of my favorites bring us back to our own youth and the trials of love and people in general.
March 9, 2016
So this is my first Wes Anderson film and I can say I can't stand the style of this film. I don't know if this is typically found in his films but Moonrise Kingdom is slow, bland, unfunny, and plain boring, even with its all star cast, it's a hipster's dream but an overall snoozefest for me.
Moonrise Kingdom's plot will be really cute to some and really weird to others - I found it the latter. Two 12 year olds find love, one a handy boy scout and the other a misunderstood basket case, and run away together, all the while being chased by their parents, a police officer, and a scout leader.
Moonrise Kingdom is, in a word to accurately describe my immense dislike for the film, boring. Anderson's style is unappealing to me and is particularly aimed at hipsters and indie lovers - not that I don't like that, it's just Anderson tends for his comedy style to be a big bland inside joke. The film is comparative to that of a bland, boring palette of beige and sparrow blue. Its recurring themes of love translate to overall creepiness amongst especially bland and unfunny child actors. The acting, even from its big name stars, is atrocious - nobody really tries here because the film doesn't really tend to take itself seriously. It doesn't know whether it's a cute romance story or a bland especially dry comedy. Nothing seems to work in this film, maybe there's some sort of irony in that. Moonrise Kingdom is a bland unfunny bore, and my first film of Anderson's fails to amuse me.
½ March 9, 2016
A beautiful masterpiece.
½ March 6, 2016
My favorite Wes Anderson film of all time will always be the grand Budapest hotel. However a lot of his work are really extraordinary stuff that everyone can find a favorite among them. One of those works happen to be Moonrise Kingdom. Anderson in this 2012 indie hit takes us on a journey with two young kids learning love at a young age. Anderson uses his trademark quirky directing to give us a story that's a true delight for cinema lovers.

In 1965, on an island off the coast of New England, Sam and Suzy are two kids who have fallen in love and decide to run away. This causes a wide array of individuals to come find them. These individuals are played by Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Edward Norton and more. This love story plays out in an unusual world that Anderson creates for us.

tremendous directing and camera work. The side by side framing is impeccable. The film as a whole had a really fun vibe too it. Anderson places in his usual sense of quirkiness. Its cool seeing bruce willis in something more grounded and more structured than his usual action films. Edward Norton is really good here. he is a scout master who really cares about his boys and feels it is obligated duty to find him as an actual parent would since this kid doesn't have one. The introduction of the boy and girls love story was kinda poorly executed and written but the entire rest of the way through it was on point. It's a nice little love affair between the two young characters. Really dope adding in the element of scouts in there and showing the resourcefull ness of our young lad here. From the entire cast alone, stupendous acting from all of them.

there must have been an extensive rehearsal process for these scenes it really pays off here. on a technical note good lighting and good editing too. This was also decently funny too.

Moonrise Kingdom is fantastic picture out of the extensive filmography of wes Anderson. Definitely worth checking out
February 29, 2016
I was on a mission for a movie that was unique, and whilst searching on Netflix, I came across Moonrise Kingdom. The story was a tale of young love in the 1960's, as pre-teens Sam and Suzy defy the odds and their guardians to be together, trying their hand, and khaki scout skills, at surviving in the wilderness together. The movie has a talented and diverse cast, including Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, and Billy Murrey. Packed with witty humor and simple genius, it'll effortlessly transport you into their charming and quirky world. This movie is one for anyone and everyone.
½ February 24, 2016
I love this movie. I love the music theme that went with it. The color of this movie and the fella giving the hurricane warnings made this movie feel back in the old days but it also had a futuristic light to it as well. The parents were military but it was as if they were making fun of parents today.This movie is a must see for adults and children 13 and over.
February 21, 2016
typical wes, pretty good
February 21, 2016
Extremely relatable film perfectly executed by Wes Anderson, a visionary and creative director who seems to refuse to give in to the mainstream ways of filmmaking. This film is a great example of how a film can relate to its audience.
February 17, 2016
Gentle when it needs to be and agreeably irreverent in between Moonrise kingdom has a child-like sense of adventure and romance told in an excellent picturesque setting.
February 16, 2016
2/13/16
It's kind of weirdly perfect in every way. It has the classic Wes Anderson feel to it in the fact that everything is too perfectly placed and everyone is pleasantly awkward and miserable. The story line itself was kind of boring, but I really loved Suzy. No idea why, but she was just perfect. She's odd and reminded me a lot of Wednesday from The Addams Family despite wearing bright colors all the time.
½ February 12, 2016
Not awesome but really good. Makes you long for the good old days of childhood when you believed pretty much anything was possible, and through your eyes as a kid everything was serious and important, which I believe how Wes was looking at this movie when he was writing and directing it.
February 11, 2016
I really like seeing a Wes Anderson movie and being able to identify it as one of his movies. I find his style very enjoyable.
His choice of cast is always solid, even though I was dubious about Bruce Willis. It all turned out fine.
Though the relationships are a bit exaggerated between the characters, that's what keeps the drama of the film lighthearted.
It's a cute story about love and people coming together.
February 9, 2016
Another Wes Anderson film that embodies great, innovative filmmaking and writing that is accompanied by a great cast of acting. This adolescent love story is set off the coast of New England in 1965, and it is indulged within Anderson's unique universe that empowers all of his films. From the first frame you recognize Anderson's beautiful style of directing with his excellent camera panning and the way he fits every aspect of detail into the frame. Fans of his other films will be pleased with his continued uniqueness that gets better each time he works. B+
February 9, 2016
one of my personal favorites. Wes Anderson at his best.
½ February 7, 2016
This film contains possibly the most interesting subject Wes Anderson has chosen, as well as surprising moments of genuine darkness - but I wouldn't rank this among his best work.
February 6, 2016
Wes Anderson at his absolute best.
February 3, 2016
Breathtaking film with a quirky Wes Anderson touch.
January 27, 2016
IMHO: Sets, costumes, performances, all deliciously stylized silliness. It's wonderful (full of wonder), multicolored candyfloss. Wes Anderson has created a complete, entertaining, and very funny alternative world with Ed Norton, Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, all turning in typically brilliant (or maybe better) performances. Enormous talents such as Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Jason Schwartzman and Bob Balaban deliver smaller, perfectly imagined creations, while Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward easily hold their own with the adults. Ninety-three minutes of fun in a place I guarantee you've never been before.