Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

August 15, 2016
It's well paced, well written, and well directed. It's perfect.
August 13, 2016
Really an exceptional film!
August 12, 2016
An intriguing Slice of Life film with great talent.
½ August 11, 2016
Another future Wes Anderson classic.
August 7, 2016
Just as Benjamin Britten describes how different instruments create a big piece of music, Wes Anderson showcases how a variety of characters come together to tell this charming story. Artistic mastery is at work with respect to elements such as framing, writing, and choice in musical accompaniment.
August 1, 2016
From the first frame it feels like you're stepping into a dream or a children's story book. Wes Anderson's charming and lucrative imagination spills throughout this film and entangles its audience into its shenanigans. The characters are well written and expertly portrayed and the story keeps us wanting more from the mind of Wes Anderson.
August 1, 2016
instant classic love story
July 28, 2016
Wes Anderson's style is not for me, his films are pretentious and unfunny. I didn't buy the relantionship of the kids, i couldn't buy anything.
July 27, 2016
This nostalgic film will stand the test of time. Ed Norton is incredible as are all the players in this Wes Anderson jewel.
July 27, 2016
*****
My personal favourite Wes Anderson movie, Moonrise Kingdom has fantastic directing, with the camera seamlessly gliding through the films terrific set pieces, and the script is also excellent, with great pacing and a perfect balance of emotion and comedy.
July 25, 2016
Not a kids film, but if you have mature young children the themes explored here will spark poignant conversation at any age. The cast is always a perfect treat in any Anderson film.
July 19, 2016
In this movie, you just want these two kids to get together, but they keep getting cock-blocked by the adults and that makes it thrilling to watch.
July 14, 2016
Wes Anderson has never been afraid to give a swift kick in the ass to realism and all naysayers - he's interested in art and he's sticking to it, because he does it so well.

Anderson-verse is a shared universe, a world of connectivity where people and things that seem sparse are more connected than they appear. Just as so, they are divided. This is an honest reflection of anyone's mind, and an artist who is given the freedom and reign to find that will almost certainly present satisfying results. I wouldn't have expected at first that Captain Sharp and Mrs. Bishop knew anything of each other, but to realize they're in an affair gives this world some juice. Each artist is the god over their domain, and in Moonrise KINGDOM, Anderson takes some inspiration from the Holy Bible. Unlike so many modern filmmakers who use this as a source of political upheaval, spewing hatred and paranoia at the church, Anderson makes no such criticism. He rather acknowledges it as a story that can reflect his own imagination, and godliness as an artist. There's at least Noah's Ark and a subsequent sacrifice made by the local sheriff, Captain Sharp (Bruce Willis), to save two children atop a church during the 'flood.'

Anderson films have such sweet tenderness to them, some personal touch and situations that draw out my inner-child. It may make some uncomfortable, but I like stories of young romance, as long as they don't become graphic. It speaks to the heart of adventure, this film's certain genre.

Worlds within worlds, a microcosm that easily shares a macro - it says something about a family when they hang a painting of their home in their home. They're trying to be a family and put some emphasis on that. Anderson's opening shot shows us the exterior in a dreamy painting, then maps out the upstairs floor, and ultimately pulls out of our main female protagonist's (Suzy) window to reveal an equally dreamy shot of the home itself in rain, surrealist quality, almost looks like a toy.

Anderson will stage things very obvious, literal, as you'd see in a play. I think the closest any director comes to squaring off the frame and putting it's viewer into a theater box is this auteur. Just in the opening credits, in the upstairs of the house, he frames Bill Murray and Frances McDormand, a married couple called the Bishops, on two separate points of the z-axis, implying a distance between them which foreshadows greater revelations - Murray is furthest, most in the dark about anything, especially McDormand's affair. But the camera pulls back to the foreground where Suzy continues looking out the window through her binoculars - she has her own mission, she'll be a missing child soon. But her parents' neglect, largely stemming from their marital dissonance, contributes to their ignorance of what's going on in her life. That's a lot to say in one shot; that's genius. Only wish it were in 3D to make those layers come to fruition. This whole opening is a visual/auditory essay that I could write about forever. All along he's dropping these hints about separation, distance. Multiple times in this montage, Murray and McDormand are clearly seen in separate rooms doing separate activities, divided by walls. In the aforementioned shot, Murray sits down to read with some wine at a table divided, which he collides so he can rest his elbows down - as the camera pulls back, McDormand notices him from the other room, refrains from going in and opts to smoke her cigarette at the doorway. And what do we hear all along? An orchestra broken into parts, narrated by a kid who talks about the separate parts which make musical harmony - an omen to this family's mission.

I happen to be amidst a production of Our Town and noticed Bob Balaban's Narrator is directly out of Thorton Wilder's pages, giving us a history and geography lesson of the fictitious setting, telling us about the delivery man and town/island functions, and informing us of act three's fateful storm. Unlike Wilder's Stage Manager, he doesn't take over the story, and remains SEPARATE rather than interactive. That he's a scientist combines him with Wilder's Professor Willard, whose lines Stage Manager could've done anyway.

Themes of separation continue throughout, as if each frame is intended to be this microcosm of that larger idea. Tents separated by a gap in the middle, a zipper opening straight down the middle separating either side of tent, distant radio communication between Sharp and Scout Master Ward (Ed Norton), cut to telecommunication in a priceless scene where Sharp tries to tell Sam's foster parents that their kid is missing - SPLITSCREEN and the foster dad informs he doesn't want Sam back.
July 9, 2016
I just watched this movie and, to be honest, I would have loved this movie when I was the same age as the main characters. It really understands the mentality of a twelve to fourteen year old outcast. The direction of the movie is impecable and the sets are beautiful. The pace is a little bit slow, but not terribly annoying. My biggest issue is with the celebrities acting in this movie. I know some people do need a big name attached to a film to go and see it, but I found it too distracting. I really love Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and Edward Norton, but their acting really felt flat. I mean, I never got to see the character over the actor. The kids in the other hand were fantastic. I would love to talk about the actresses but, beside the girl, they didn't get much time nor development. Talking about the girl, she was great and knew who to pull the troubled girl.
½ July 5, 2016
i loved this.. and want to see it again
June 26, 2016
best movie ever ssm is petty small actually but over all loved this film >))
June 18, 2016
Not what I was expecting, but not bad. It was definitely an interesting take on a story.
½ June 12, 2016
'Moonrise Kingdom' is odd, but overrated. It certainly has a distinct style, and the adult characters are funny and unique. However, the child characters, in Anderson's attempt at quirkiness, lack charm or any sense of humanity, making it hard to care about them.
June 5, 2016
Wes Anderson uses his trademark directing style to film yet another charming and warm hearted film that doesn't get too corny and has enough humor to keep you entertained. The all-star cast also does a good job, my only issue with this film is that even though it is a good watch, I not sure if there's enough to make it a memorable one.
½ June 2, 2016
love the style, don't love the story