The Moon-Spinners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Moon-Spinners Reviews

April 5, 2015
Great movie. I have seen it and bought the video when it was out. It is better than movies of today.
April 1, 2015
A unique mystery film that Walt Disney should be proud of. Hayley Mills is always a delight! (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
December 5, 2013
its ok but does not have the Disney "magic"
July 22, 2013
This odd-titled film is filled with mystery, suspense, and is peppered with the same kind of dramatic, visual/narrative liberalisms as Alfred Hitchcock's body of work from the same era. Hayley Mills, for the first time with the studio, begins to leave her cutesy girl image behind in favor of something more serious and (do I dare say it?) sexy. However, make no mistake, Moon-Spinners is a fun family film, as it contains the same frolicking antics, good music, and humor as many Disney classic films from earlier years, (though I subtract a full star from the overall rating because Act 3 does get a bit TOO silly and chatty, particularly during scenes with Pola Negri's Madame Habib. As a side note, this was Negri's final on-screen performance.) Not universally recognized as a classic in the Disney canon, Moon-Spinners is an under-appreciated effort from the studio, and is a bold departure from their early-1960s formula.
May 8, 2013
Other than the location and the title, this bears little resemblance to the Mary Stewart novel. Hayley Mills is woefully miscast; she's at least 5 years too young for the part. Some reviews criticize Peter McEnery for an uncharismatic performance, but what young man in his 20s would be romantically interested in a such a very innocent, naive 15-year old? Strangely, the film is both far too long and is rushed. Too much time is spent on the action sequences with little attention paid to character development. All very, very predictable, and not in the least Hitchcockian.
June 11, 2012
i use to think that dude was hot
September 8, 2010
THE MOON-SPINNERS (1964)
August 29, 2010
I only watched it because it was filmed where I go on holiday, but I have to say I did quite enjoy it, mainly for the absolutely hysterical overacting every time Mark fell over - the dive into the sea after he got shot being my particular favourite! Good fun but pretty silly.
August 2, 2010
This is a good adventure for the entire family! The story is an exciting one, and Hayley Mills does well, considering that this is like a transitional film between children's and adult movies. Lots of fun!
July 20, 2009
Pretty cool! Another good movie with Hayley Mills!
June 22, 2009
hayley mills is my fav actor
June 6, 2009
The Moonspinners is based (very loosely) on the plot of Mary Stewart's novel of the same name.

This movie was my favourite as a child and still entertains now, pure escapism with a mix of comedy and light suspense.

Eli Wallach stands out as Stratos ,menacing & always convinced the stars don't lie.
May 18, 2009
I just love Hayley Mills. And what Can be better than Hayley Mills in a mystery thriller. I just like this movie.
mingsysar
March 16, 2009
I absolutely adore this film. I was a great fan of Hayley Mills when I was a kid. I'm head over heels in love with Crete. The supporting characters and the actors who portray them are brilliant, especially Sheila Hancock, the kid and Eli Wallach. I read the Mary Stewart story it's based on and the film betters it. You'll fall for the charms of a teenage Hayley Mills or her debonair love interest, the gorgeous island of Crete and the sheer silliness that overtakes the thriller aspects. It shouldn't work, but a thiller farce set in beautiful surroundings with superb acting, genius!
March 16, 2009
December 17, 2008
Slow but mostly enjoyable.
November 7, 2008
Growing up I thought Hayley mills was awesome. This was a very adventerous teen love story. That age hold no boundaries with love.
October 19, 2008
A cute movie with Hayley Mills, one of my favorite actresses. I enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would, however Disney rarely (all though they have a few times) dissappoints me.
½ June 22, 2008
Can't believe this was a Disney movie. It had no characteristics of one, and the guy was a terrible fighter, just hard to watch at times.