Moontrap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moontrap Reviews

May 3, 2016
This is the only sci-fi film EVER made , dealing with the hypothesis of discovering on the lunar surface, human made structures originating from a long lost high-tech antediluvian civilization the likes of Lemuria or Atlantis, and , as far as i know, this is by far, the only film , thanks to its foolish scenario, that managed so cunningly to discredit the whole theory whatsoever!
July 23, 2015
There are only two types of people who will watch this film, Trekkies who have to watch everything that features a star from the various franchises and people who have to watch everything starring Bruce Campbell. Both of those camps are badly served by this low budget Z-grade sci-fi mess.
January 23, 2015
This was on tv in jan 2015. I would definitely call it a B rated movie. Not much horror and totally boring. Very stilted. Poorly acted. I give it a yuck rating
½ October 13, 2014
it's got some pretty slow parts to it. the monster is really cool and there is a great, unique feeling to a lot of scenes.
½ October 1, 2014
This plays like a modern day B movie, but it's great if you like to suspend your disbelief and watch something a little silly for a few hours. The special effects are quite bad, the plot is laughable and yet it is oddly entertaining for all that. I got about half way through before I said to myself, "Hey! It's that man from Star Trek!"
August 22, 2014
Unintentionally funny B movie with Bruce Campbell.
½ July 20, 2014
I am writing this in 2014 never having even heard of this film until watching it just now on TV. It's awful with a capital A

I had to check several times that it really was made in 1989 as Gerry Anderson did better special effects backs in the 1960's on his puppet shows, let alone many of the other sci fi films made before it in the 1980's. Ok so the budget was very obviously tiny, but even so that is no excuse for the rubbish camera work and using sets which make the models look like models being filmed on a set which is itself a model set. Sense of scale is vastly lacking !

The script is dire and the acting is beyond wooden. No attempt is made to react "normally" to the various plot lines. My comrade has just died, the ship to get me home has vanished, I know I'll erect a blow up tent I just so happen to have with me and have sex (not shown of course!!!!) with the token female cast member because that is exactly what you do when you have just met someone from an extra terrestrial civilisation for the first time. At least Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind realised they didn't have the budget to try to answer "what happened next" and so left you wanting more. Moontrap doesn't even try, it just jumps from silly set piece to set piece and finishes with a ludicrous dinner date discussing "falling stars". I ask you!.

One I'll never watch again and on my death bed will be able to confirm: when did I waste 90 minutes of my life!

I can understand some people regarding it as a cult film but to me it has not stood the test of time and Chekov fails abysmally to show any acting ability.
November 16, 2013
Well, I saw this on video over twenty years ago. I really hadn't remembered much beyond the discussion in the first part of the movie, where they are talking about pilot nicknames. Chekov get's the girl, and I liked watching him do pushups.
April 28, 2013
I like this movie simply because it's schlocky. The premise is tired but man if it isn't fun to watch Bruce and Mr. Chekov toss one-liners. "We don't take no shit from a machine." Classic! For all those who thought Walter Koenig could only talk in a falsetto Russian accent this will be a shock. Don't expect a masterpiece and embrace the camp and cheap thrills and suddenly this becomes watchable.
½ January 17, 2013
A struggle even for a Bruce Campbell completist.
½ July 31, 2012
Again frustrating....some really great bits in it....but a struggle....I am tired mind you though....i love all the miniatures in it.
June 23, 2012
Walter Koenig *and* Bruce Campbell in the same movie!
May 5, 2012
Ungefär lika bra som väntat. Hade man fixat till den usla klippningen och musiken, samt låtit Bruce Campbell få mer utrymme på bekostnad av den aptriste Walter Koenig, hade Moontrap varit en betydligt bättre film. Den uppvisar en del likheter med Lifeforce och Galaxy of Terror, och är förstås en Alien-ripoff. Varken den sämsta eller bästa i sin subgenre, bör nämnas. Men möjligen med snyggast robotar.
½ May 1, 2012
Fun for Koenig,Cambell and 80's sci-fi fans but little else to recommend. the cheap sets are at least varied and they don't let budget constrain imagination with some reasonable matte-paintings, shonky effects and quippy dialogue.

Not without humor you can have some entertainment watching Bruce swagger as a cocky pilot and Koenig as a humble space captain. Very hard to rate as i found it watchable but the majority will find little to hang on to.
½ September 26, 2011
I ordinarily reserve the half-star rating for movies I actively hate, but I don't actively hate this one, it's just that bad - to the point it's almost not funny. The absurdity of the plot and cheesy effects would be much more enjoyable were it not for the hideous dialogue. The actors seem to feel the need to constantly talk when there is nothing to say. Seriously, shut your goddamn face for a second. To be absolutely fair though, I did laugh out loud toward the end.
½ July 16, 2011
I really only watched this sci-fi b-movie because I saw Bruce Campbell was in it.
This was actually a decent movie that has some sweet model sets that look good and a fun story.
Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell were good.
½ June 18, 2011
Walter "Chekov" Koenig and Bruce "Ash" Campbell in the same bad sci-fi movie about killer robots on the moon. How could it be any less than entertaining? Koenig gets to say things like "the final frontier" and Campbell has great lines like "we don't take shit from a machine." What a find!
November 6, 2010
If it wasn't for the completely gratuitous sex on the moon half-a-scene, it'd only get two stars instead of 3. As it is, It's got Ikea-based space monsters(some assembling required), decrepit alien space ships, oh, and a hot alien chick. It also has cheesy acting and alien robots with lower-resolution video systems than modern-day point-and-shoot digital cameras.
October 22, 2010
Despite its criminally low production value it could have been one of the better Bruce Campbell movies if the second half of this movie didn't suck. You get some laughable effects, corny acting, cheesy sci-fi action and it's great in the first half and then it just becomes boring. CHECK IT OUT if you're a Bruce Campbell fan.