Moontrap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moontrap Reviews

½ November 11, 2009
In Moontrap, astronauts Walter Koenig (the great Commander Pavel Chekov from Star Trek) and Bruce Campbell (Ash from the Evil Dead trilogy) come together to become the greatest duo to have ever been filmed!!!! Seriously though, the two astronauts are working a overlong and boring space ride across the Earth when they encounter a wrecked space ship where they recover a strange pod and a 14,000 year old human astronaut. Back on Earth, Nasa is baffled but is soon enlightened when the pod reveals a small but very ferocious robot that quickly puts together additional parts to become a robotic killing machine that takes a small army to bring down. Naturally, Koenig and Campbell want to go back to the Moon to find out the origins of the 14,000 year old astronaut, which they do find out some stuff, not to mention come across an army of killer robots. Thrown in some death and gore here and some titties there and you've got yourself a bonafide late-80's gem of a sci-fi classic. Even the special effects and animatronics are fun to watch! Yeah, this movie is corny and outdated, but it still retains a lot of its fun and inventiveness. Moontrap desperately needs its own DVD release. I know I would certainly buy it! Great, low-grade film!
½ August 16, 2009
I never thought I would see the day when I thought a Bruce Campbell movie sucked well this was it. The story is nothing new killer robots from outer space. Walter Koenig is the only big name actor in the film, (Chekov in Star Trek for those who don't know him.)but his acting is wooden and seems forced at times. The direction was fine and the animatronics look cool. In the end it just left me wishing that they would have fleshed out more of a story.
July 14, 2009
watching a show about the moon made me remember this flick. Stars chekov form the Original Star Trek! Have not seen this in Years. Hope it is on DVD!
July 9, 2009
Hillarious but very cheesy.
½ April 17, 2009
Crazy old film, with scary monsters and space ships. What more could anyone want?
February 24, 2009
This movie is almost unknown but its a creepy effective movie. Effects are bad and there are allot of corny moments but its a fun movie to watch.
February 23, 2009
Moontrap is a star vehicle for a guy (Koenig) who was a supporting actor on the 60's Star Trek television series. It really seems like he might have had a hand in writing Moontrap (which is credited to the clearly fictitious "Tex Ragsdale"), as the insecurities of his character seem to be a reflection of how you would imagine Koenig himself might feel about his own career. His character frequently comments on how he should've let someone younger take this mission, and that he "blew it". But then, of course, he single handedly dispatches a half dozen killer moon robots and has space sex with a foxy moon alien. The truly outrageous part is how absolutely terrible Koenig's acting is. You are really forced to wonder if he has any human emotions at all to use as frame of reference. All this sounds like it would add up to some great cheesy movie watching, and it passes as that... pretty much. The goods (monsters, Bruce Campbell) are delivered far too infrequently in favor of boring and glaringly inaccurate NASA procedural scenes and clumsy, ineptly written dialogue scenes with the astronauts.
Note to Bruce Campbell completists; This movie, in terms of Bruce content, is probably not worth the effort it takes to find it. Campbell is present for much of the movie, but isn't given many lines. He does go pretty wild during his death scene but when he is resurrected in monsterized form, it only lasts for a few seconds.
February 9, 2009
Ok. The movie was beyond awful (I actually had to get it bootleg because it so bad and hard to get)...anyway, why does this deserve 3 stars? Let me tell you: Bruce Campbell delivers one of the most hilarious death scenes I have ever seen. He tells the other astronoaut while struggling for breath: "Just remember this one thing. Don't let the machines give you any shit. Dddooo...."
½ November 24, 2008
this movie is so bad its almost good...some of the actors seem to be ordinary joes plucked off the street....amateurish with a weak plot and an awful script...
July 11, 2008
A colony on the moon has some kind of alien problem in this horrid excuse for a comedy.
June 27, 2008
DOOOOOOD Bruce Campbell, Mr. Checkov and robots if you do not like scifi you will not like this movie... like wise if you do not like this movie you must obviously not like Scifi.
½ June 23, 2008
Decent b-movie. Campbell makes it though
June 18, 2008
Bruce Campbell = cult classic!
March 24, 2008
Even though it co-starred Campbell, it could barely hold my attention. Bruce did a sweet job on his death scene though, I laughed my ass off.
½ March 16, 2008
Hilarious. I actually really enjoyed this when I first saw it though I'm sure now I'd find it pretty cheesy. God, I was an idiotic teenager who'd like anything with a monster in it (and Bruce Campbell for that matter).
½ March 1, 2008
I loved this movie when I saw it as a kid, watched it recently and it's still got it although the effects are very dated
February 27, 2008
"We don't take shit from machines!" I saw this more than ten years ago, and I'm still laughing. The aliens look great, they're american footballs with a barcode reader inside them. It was a vhs copy we rented, and it was so worn out where there are tits shown for about 2 seconds! We did the rewind move too...
½ February 18, 2008
Cheesy low budget sci-fi. An entertaining 90 minutes, mostly for unintended reasons.
February 12, 2008
I like this only because I know, or have met, so many of the people involved on- and off-screen. A good spacewalk sequence, though!
January 3, 2008
I love this move. I am always loved movie where aliens come down and want to destroy earth. Very Cheesey movie but hey its got Chekov and Ash what more could you want.