Morlang Reviews

• Jan 06, 2018

Based on most of the negative reviews, it appears that they didn't understand the story. One negative reviewer says plainly so, asking Why this and Why that. I believe the answer is obvious in two key points in the film. I won't be giving it away. If you see my rather unimportant review and want to know the answer, message me at my gmail ... stegokitty. With that out of the way, I thought the very low-key story was mesmerizing. Definitely confusing at first because all of the memories are jumbled. And in fact you can't (at first) tell what's in the past and what's in the present. But these things come together in the end rather nicely. I'd definitely see another film by this director and writer(s). Just a note -- the scenes of nudity, both partial and frontal, are entirely unnecessary, and do nothing to move the story forward. This could, in fact, have turned out to be a classic movie if it weren't for that. So while it's not a film that I particularly want to watch again anytime soon (though in a few years it'd be neat to do as I'd've forgotten much of the plot) I found it intriguing,

• Jul 30, 2017

Atlantic coast, you duffers.

Atlantic coast, you duffers.

• Oct 15, 2015

Extremely petty and absurd in the arrogant casts of "artistic" minds. Even "love" is debased by their "arts".

• Dec 24, 2011

• Oct 15, 2011

A subtle film that explores the limits of jealousy. In flashback, a successful artist recounts two recent loves, the first his wife, the second a mistress. The film takes a while to get moving on the plot, but is artful in the mean time with some amazing transition shots. Our artist finds himself holding information that could save his wife's life, but she has also recently told him that she had an affair, and used the following words in her less than humble confession: every, position, many, times. What would you do?

• Sep 10, 2011

spectacular scenery does not compensate for boring artwork, facial hair tricks do not fool us into believing flashbacks; what was probably meant to intrigue the viewer only manages to annoy

• Jan 18, 2011

• Feb 15, 2009

A jumble of a mess of a film that is far too pretentious to be taken seriously at all. The acting has some positive moments, but little else is worth mentioning for this one.

Mark A Super Reviewer
    Nov 18, 2008

Sad story about a man whose art was more important to him than relationships. Betrayal, revenge, and hidden emotional landmines combine to make this hard to take. The back and forth story telling made it dificult to follow and this viewer found it extremely difficult to piece together the whys. Why does he push his wife into the arms of another man and then punish her for the consequences? Why does she go along with it when she obviously does not want to. Why does he decieve her and make the ultimate betrayal? And why did the authorities never question the suspicious nature of her death? This was all based on true events, so I suppose the film-makers had to be faithful to what really happened, but as a film, it was less than satisfying. Pretty grim stuff.

• Jul 15, 2008

Penning's feature directing debut, which he co-wrote, has visual flair but lacks the tightly plotted storytelling this type of film requires. Relying on mood isn't enough to make the outcome truly compelling.