Mortal Engines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Engines Reviews

April 30, 2019
Wow, this would have been a great film.... in the 1980s, LOL!!!! It was overkill with the melodramatic lines and predictable plot points. How much did they spend on this? Yikes.
April 30, 2019
Stunning!
Though many don't like it, and that's fine by me, I loved this movie!
The acting is very good, though I don't think they deserve an award for their acting, I believe in time they may. The movie was to sum it up, vibrant. The acting was perfect for the steampunk genre. The visual effects were award worthy, as they were done by the team that did the V.F.X. for Lord Of The Rings, which was amazing for its time, same with this. The script could have been better, but that isn't a huge problem. This movie did not disappoint me. I wish more people could like this movie, but it didn't appeal to everyone. It is better to watch this movie and decide for yourself, because some loved this movie, some hated it.
April 29, 2019
I was dubious about this movie but thought with such powerhouses of modern cinema behind it that it might stand up to my knee jerk assessment and prove me wrong. It didn't. This steaming mess of a film does entertain in parts but relies too heavily on the usual familiarities of these sci-fi action dramas. Cheesy lines galore and characters introduced so late in the movie just to be cannon fodder. A weak and expensive failing effort in the end
April 29, 2019
Brilliant movie, full of action. Looking forward to seeing it again.
April 28, 2019
Loved a new take on a concept. Refreshing with all the star wars and the MCU and DCU. Very unique, loved it.
April 28, 2019
Bang ... CGI was spectacular ... pity story was mess .... could be better Peter, Fran and Phillipa
April 28, 2019
I wish I would have seen it on the big screen.
Terrible filming.
Shaky camera.
Good plot.
Watch at your own risk.
½ April 27, 2019
There is nothing to like about this film. It's two hours of bad acting, a weak story and awful concept.

Cities on wheels? Wfs what was you thinking Peter Jackson?
April 27, 2019
Enjoyable and easy to watch. It is a shame it flopped as it had potential to be an interesting series.
April 27, 2019
Mortal Engines just lets it all hang out. There is a LOT going on here, and it is a bit of a jumble. Peter Jackson has certainly produced a movie that has visuals on par with say the Hobbit, but the story is all over the map. I almost think they got TOO creative and threw too many concepts at the screen at once, not bothering to spend the time to elaborate on any of them. Cloud pirates? Roving cities? Shangri La (or whatever it was)? The rotting Terminator? I suspect all of these themes have been better explored in various movies this one was cobbled together from (Matrix, Star Wars, LOTR, lots of others here and there). I think they maybe could have focused more time and energy on the motivations of the roving cities as advertised in the trailers.
Acting was so so - Weaving seemed to do a decent job, everyone else was fairly throw away (in some cases literally). There was no sense of purpose, drive or comraderie. Multi-culti Londoners were indistinguishable from the Shangri La people, and they didn't seem to mind what the city was doing or who they were at war with or who was coup d'etating who... they seemed to mostly be cheering on a futbol game or something. Weaving seemed to have a vague sense of 'I'll save London if I blow things up'. Anna's role seemed to be to stab people in the head and have enough product in her hair to look good while doing it (Matrix, anyone?). Tom and Ester were kinda bland. But one had a scar so you could remember who she was. Terminator character seemed like a bolt on (pun intended). I could go on but you get the idea...
Battle scenes were dumb, but the visuals were good enough to compensate. Not sure why the super weapon had to be retracted into the dome every time it was fired - like Hungry Hungry Hippo or something. London chasing and eating the small town was an interesting scene.
Overall, not the best movie in terms of character development or story development, but fast paced and visually appealing to make for a fun Saturday afternoon matinee.
April 27, 2019
Entretenida, si eres fan de los libros no te gustará, ya que cambia mucho y faltan detalles importantes, pero es una película con muy buenos efectos
April 24, 2019
I have absolutely NO idea why this movie got these bad reviews! This movie had an amazing concept and an even better story, with interconnected characters that all had their own arcs and parts to play.

The acting was superb and the world was super immersive. It was funny, emotional, and exciting.This is in my top thirty, maybe even top twenty movies of all time!

I feel like this could have been huge, as big as Harry Potter or even Lord of the Rings, but apparently people don't like it.

I've lost all faith in movie reviewers and I suggest not paying any attention to them.
½ April 23, 2019
Molto fico. Questi di RT c'hanno proprio la puzza sotto il naso. :P
½ April 22, 2019
Unbelievable, predictable, and just not good!
April 21, 2019
Good Sci - Fi, ignore the stupid reviews, they all brainwashed Marvel fans
½ April 21, 2019
If you love watching characters with jumbled backstories being chased then chased some more, this movie is for you. If you like cliche one liners, this movies for you. If you like a love story with no chemistry, this movie is for you. If your a normal movie fan this movie will just be a hot mess to you.
April 20, 2019
Great movie, can't wait for a sequel
½ April 19, 2019
Another garbage movie where the white men are weak and they destroy everything, while the women are strong and smart. Glad I didn't pay money to see this garbage. Oh and also, the acting is horrendous while the story is confusing and pointless.