Mortal Kombat: Annihilation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation Reviews

June 21, 2016
Clearly a catastrophe as a sequel and overall film. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is forgettable, inconsistent and filled with mediocrity that's insulting to the famed-fighting-game that it's inspired by. 2/5
June 8, 2016
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a mindless, non-funny, poorly written sequel to the entertaining first MK movie. It fails on almost every level and will leave you with nothing put disapppointment.
½ June 8, 2016
If you wanna laugh check
½ May 13, 2016
I vaguely remember the original MK back in the 90's, but what I don't remember is it being this incredibly corny with such horrible effects. This looked more like a cheap college production, and why make a Mortal Kombat movie if it's not going to have any blood or gore? I mean seriously.. this is a movie well worthy of MST3K treatment, I couldn't stomach this the whole way through. Tap out.
May 7, 2016
Well, time to choose your fighter, because my brutal review of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation starts now...

FIGHT!!!!!!!

So the first thing one would notice when this movie starts is the CGI. Yes, you can see where they imposed CGI and where a character is moving against a blue screen. The "special effects" are F-grade, the kind you find in a hapless hacker's basement.

The second thing you'll notice right away are the character designs. Never mind the latex on Sheeva, what made me laugh was Motaro's design. Wow, I didn't think that Tenacious D's devil from The Pick of Destiny would be more threatening than that. The dialogue is corny and idiotically spoken right out of the gates, and I know it's going to get worse.

So obviously, one of the things they try to do is make this more serious by having Johnny Cage become a classic red-shirt and get his neck snapped only 6 minutes into the film. That might be beneficial to preserving his character by having Cage cut from the cast list right away. I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to show up for the premiere of the film at the local AMC or even see it in theaters.

I should mention that Shao Kahn in this film looks like someone I would hang out with at the gym. The game's Shao Kahn is a mix of Tarkatan face and human; this one is not. That's not the image you want to give me. I thought that scene was a decent TV level conversation, but it could have been a bit better.

And of course, the final fight with the infamous CGI. It doesn't last long, but the CGI returns at the end of the fight.

So what can I say about this that hasn't already been said before? I know this film has already been dealt with by so many people, but I wanted to do my own look at it. Here's how I sum it up.

The dialogue is not particularly memorable, there are a lot of weird yells and grunts that did not endear me to the Kombatants not named Jax, and the CGI is awful. The only Mortal Kombat game I've ever played is the Sega Genesis version of the original, and I can say with full confidence that that game looks a hell of a lot better than this movie.

MKA is just a dumb-ass attempt to be a fantasy martial arts film, and surprisingly a step down from the original film. Next time, talk to Jackie Chan, Michael Dimartino or Bryan Konieztko regarding that idea, not the dummies who made this.
March 14, 2016
A film that has little to no understanding of story, structure or direction.
½ March 10, 2016
5.5/10
So bad, it was good...kinda. Almost. A little. Jax was the best character.
February 23, 2016
It feels so wrong to say this, but I just love this film - When will I ever grow up? This game has been around for decades now and I still adore it, because of its range of characters, background stories, special moves and gore content. The fact that it was made into a single film, never mind a sequel, was brilliant, and seeing those fighting skills come to life on a cinematic screen has just about made my wildest dream come true - Well maybe not quite true, but I do like it a lot. This story has a lot more action packed in, more of our favourites taking to the battlefield, and mortal kombat is evidenced heavily. A few of the villains are not done any justice as they are disposed of without even entering fisty cuffs, with some also being all talk and no action. As per usual in these films, I actually find the enemies more inspiring than the heroes, as the latter are often dull, sensible and lacking that injection of spunk that makes us root for them. If you're either female or never played the game before, you just won't get this at all, as it's very much a mans territory and also very sad to say the least - makes me a right computer geek, but who cares. Given I can't act, I feel this is the sort of movie that would suit me, hidden away in costume, not having to speak much given the low budget surrounding the production, and able to demonstrate flexible arms and legs - I'm a perfect fit I'd say, so sign me up for part 3 of the trilogy :)
½ January 26, 2016
F+
If the lines, choppy editing, terrible acting fit for a 'MST3K' commentary and bad CGI effects make you want to roll your eyes and toss this movie in the trash, you're not alone. I give this movie a thumbs up for trying to compare to the game and the first 'Mortal Kombat' which was actually praise-worthy for its effects, characters and martial-arts. But 'Annihilation' is a pass. Also the violence is unbearably sanitized making me wonder what an R-rated 'Mortal Kombat' would have been like.
January 6, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am a big MK fan but this movie is an insult to everything that is MK. And why did Johnny Cage get killed off in the first 5 minutes like?.
½ January 3, 2016
How to make a sequel to a bad film? Well, make it worse. While the first Mortal Kombat is entertaining and to some (including me) a guilty pleasure, it's not a good film. But this film takes "shitty" to a whole new level. The acting is horrendous, the story sounds like it was written by a five-year old, ... It actually hurt my eyes by how bad this thing even looked. Let's just put a bag over it's head, throw it in the basement and forget it ever existed.
½ December 20, 2015
Come on guys, you have to take this movie with a grain of salt. First, it's Mortal Kombat, so yeah. Second, they follow the general plot line fairly good actually, but in the movie it is done out terribly. Actors sounding like they're reading the script will make it seem like the plot is worse than it actually is.

For 1997, the graphics aren't TERRIBLE. Nowadays they're pretty bad. Overall, it's low budget as hell, so you should know that coming in.

P.s. When Sonya and Jax are fighting random people a demon comes out of nowhere and Jax punches it for 5 seconds and goes back in the ground. So unneeded and the demon thing looked terrible
December 18, 2015
Mortal Kombat 2 sees only one cast member the same from the first film, Lui Kang. After winning the competition it soon back fires and the world is at risk of being changed unless they win the fight one more time. Some of the effects looking back are terrible but its a film what you are use to when growing up.
Mortal Komabt !!!!!!!
½ December 15, 2015
Was this someone's senior project or something?
December 6, 2015
~~~~~~(MAJOR SPOILERZ!!!!)~~~~~~

Let us just start with saying that all the reviews of this movie were wrong, and that we honest to God believe that this is an amazing movie. Let us tell you why!
1) Every character was lovable.
Jax: As the token black guy, he filled his role just like his witty and urban banter filled my heart. At first when we saw that Johnny Cage died and was replaced by Jax we were sorely upset, but after he opened his mouth and spit his first hilarious line we were hooked for sure! Also let us just say that he is HUGE! Ladies will love this movie!
Liu Kang: Immediately we were struck by his hair. We had seen it before in the first movie (also a must watch), and we are proud to say that not a single hair has been displaced. It looked just as luxurious, if not more so. Liu Kang struggles throughout the movie with low self-esteem, and the three dimensional nature of his character really strengthens the movie as a whole.
Sonya: Wow, nipples. Shes back and even hotter than before, and now with a new love interest in Jax. This classy Hollywood hottie is now paired up with a black dude, and is fighting social norms while kickin' ass. Cool.
Shiva: Double the arms, double the fun. We both have had a crush on her since the we moment saw her, and we agree she is without a doubt the most beautiful woman either of us have ever seen. We wish we had a girl like Shiva to do some "Mortal Kombat" with, if you know what we mean.
We could honestly go on, this movie was filled with amazing, sorry, let us reiterate, AMAZING characters which we could write about until "Annihilation". We wish that they were a part of our great big family.
2) The Kombat was amazing.
First off, the flips. They rule! The characters basically flip everywhere. You might think it would get old, or just look stupid but we are glad to report that it doesn't. The choreographers and the stunt doubles really did a bang-up job. Just when you thought the flips would stop, or that it wasn't appropriate in the scene, they pulled a fast one on you and stuck one in there. It fit every time and felt great. We honestly believe they could squeeze a flip into a sex scene if they weren't stuck to a PG13 rating. Besides the flips, the fight choreography was a visual banquet and fight choreographers Robin Shou and Pat E. Johnson deserve more recognition for their masterful accomplishment. The kicks, punches, leg sweeps, and cartwheels are top knotch. Sonya has a magnificent high kick, smacking perpetrators for miles around with her beautifully meaty legs. The special wizard powers of characters like sub-zero and nightwolf (that vision quest was groovy) added a whole new dimension that conventional martial arts movies just can't match.
3) Special effects
The special digital effects (both 3-D and 2-D) were mind-expanding at the time of the movies release, and believe it or not they still hold up powerfully today. We're at a loss for words trying to describe the climactic dragon fight between Liu Kang and Shao Khan. It's truly something that has to be seen to be understood. The digital effects team hits hard, fast, and often with a rambunctious energy in their craft and love in their hearts, leaving us and my companions stunned and speechless for indefinite hours.
4) The plot
We cried when Johnny Cage died. The bond between Johnny and Sonya was so deep that during that scene we almost felt like we lost our own lover. We were brought to tears. Other scenes had the perfect mix of poignancy and sexy. Many times we were left both misty-eyed and half-chubbed, a perfect mixture.
5)Conclusion
In short, this movie has changed our lives for the better. We live our lives like Sonya, and make sure we make connections with our loved ones because we know they could be ripped away at a moments notice. The wise words of Raiden echo in our brains, helping us overcome any challenge or trial that life can toss our way. We used to get caught up, but now we can front flip through the fires of hell without the slightest of harm befalling us.

We thoroughly believe everybody should see this at least twice in their lifetime; it's just that good.

Over and out, Carney and Matt
December 2, 2015
I counted 25 mid-air flips. That's not a joke. But this movie is. A funny one.
½ November 13, 2015
don't blame the critics on this one
½ November 11, 2015
Not even a movie, just trash.
November 7, 2015
Nope, don't like this one.
½ November 4, 2015
A terrible film with some of the most amateur dialogue,script,acting and special effects put to the big screen.