Morvern Callar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Morvern Callar Reviews

½ May 20, 2012
Not a film for everyone as it features very little dialogue. It is a character study about an impoverished, unusual grieving young woman and Samantha Morton is utterly compelling in the title role. Her ability to display such a volatile character in an introverted way is fascinating.

Writer/Director Lynne Ramsay (who followed this up with We Need To Talk About Kevin) has a wonderful eye for direction. The shot selection and cinematography is artistic and intimate. I felt like a fly on the wall or an ant on the dirt watching this woman's somewhat awkward life. The use of music is also a big plus for the film, in its selection and the varying volume and timing used to create an appropriate atmosphere.

So although there are many positives, the negative is that the actual narrative of the film is nowhere near as successful as the central performance, the artistic direction and the general atmosphere and mood created.
½ May 20, 2012

May 12, 2012
Seemed to drag on and on.
April 15, 2012
Weird but impressive movie
April 15, 2012
I really liked watching this film, Lynne Ramsey is a great film-maker. Unfortunately, half the time watching this film I spent admiring the direction rather than the narrative.
½ January 19, 2012
It's lack Of Dialogue does not stop Morvern Caller from telling an interesting visual story.
January 1, 2012
Hey, there's so much I DON'T know; surprising to you, I'm sure. This is a book/movie I've never heard of before. My friend posted a Youtube vid of a trailer.
December 23, 2011
gritty and tragic film. Samantha Morton is excellent and understated.
December 17, 2011
Samantha Morton is operating at her best which means she's dwarfing the rest of the world here. Writer/Director Lynne Ramsay leaves the camera on her and Morton leaves you utterly fascinated and pondering about her after the credits roll. Its not a grand role, its quiet, nuanced filled character study. The character is an enigma but i wish it would've hinted at a few more areas of Morvern's world to help burn this character in my mind. Outstanding soundtrack, i rewound it twice to hear Velvet Morning.
November 20, 2011
A visual experience crafted with passion and honesty, amounting to a complex and vivid psychological portrait of a woman and her spectacular feelings; her contemplative transformation from the trauma of life. Like Nicholson in The Passenger, Morton's Morvern Callar senses an opportunity to sever her former identity. To lose herself completely into a perpetual state of whims and randomness. Unlike her best friend Lanna, she does not seek pleasure as meaning. She seeks the euphoria of complete personal freedom. It's a youthful desire, because it's an impossible one. But in the final moments of the film, we know that her inability to recognize that she'll never get what she wants is what makes her something like a pure spirit. She'll never stop searching. Powerful.
½ August 25, 2011
One of my all time favorites. Morvern's not a character that's easily understood, but she's fabulous and Samantha Morton is perfect in this.
½ July 12, 2011
Lanna: "Where are we going?"
Morvern Callar: "Somewhere beautiful."
½ July 8, 2011
This is one of the more unique ways to become a published author. A revenge flick by any other name...
June 15, 2011
Sordid, seedy, vile, dark, depressing, ... very cool.
May 31, 2011
Too much creative non-specificty for my taste, but not so much that it renders the experience valueless. A fair share of magic is to be found here nevertheless. Much of which resides squarely in Morton's enchanting face.
May 30, 2011
Wow this totally blew me away. Apart from the manner in which she dealt with her boyfriends passing, I could totally relate to this character. The rave scenes in particular just transported me back to those crazy nights. Great cinematography, and a smashing soundtrack (which I must find and buy)
½ May 27, 2011
This drama wanders around and around and ends in a stunningly tragic final act, but takes far too long getting there. It lost my interest long before the payoff. I remain unimpressed with Samantha Morton.
May 17, 2011
Sad but bizarre story. When her beloved boyfriend committed suicide, morvern Callar went through a traumatic experience and hell of time, I can't explain it perfectly, its psychotic !
April 27, 2011
A dark, compelling and difficult film that manages to put you inside the head of its protagonist. A great performance by Samantha Morton and a phenomenal soundtrack help the often stark visuals and slow pacing forward.
March 20, 2011
how can anyone enjoy watching this