The Mosquito Coast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mosquito Coast Reviews

June 17, 2017
Peter Weir's 1986 adaptation of Paul Theroux's best-selling novel is literally that - an adaptation without much character of its own. With such great acting and directing, I guess the problem was the script was just too cautious.
June 13, 2017
Superb but harrowing.
½ March 30, 2017
Peter Weir film is really a showcase for Harrison Ford who plays an eccentric inventor living off the grid. It's a fearless and uncharacteristic performance and a deviation from Ford's usual earnest action hero persona.
½ March 10, 2017
Entertaining. Risky. Fantastic acting by Harrison Ford. Not for everyone. Its a movie about a guy who hates Western culture and wants to make his own way of life in the jungle. Only problem is his family is with him and the jungle isn't always a good place to live. Understatement.
½ February 25, 2017
It's like a runaway train but highly interesting to the end.
October 17, 2016
Absolutely beautiful film, both visually and in content. Harrison Ford delivers one of his best performances playing an obsessed man trying to destroy conventions in which people trapped themselves. And it's nice to see Helen Mirren as his devoted wife.
October 9, 2016
This movie is excellent. Ford plays such a nuanced and deceptive character, whose pride ends up almost hurting those he loves the most. It has so many themes and is a grand adventure movie, definitely one I'd recommend.
August 14, 2016
Breaking from the "cool, tough, and charismatic" roles that Harrison Ford is known for, here he plays a mostly unlikable and paranoid father who uproots his family to live in the jungle. It's mostly a character study, and all the acting is great from Ford, as well as Helen Mirren (who has a great American accent), River Phoenix, and even a small appearance from Jason Alexander. However, I was often left wondering why his family put up with Ford as much as they did, and there were a few odd bits of dialogue left me scratching my head. It's an interesting movie, but it's also no surprise it hasn't become a Ford classic.
August 11, 2016
Pissed off at the world inventor moves his family to some island and makes them eat berries and crap while the inventor tries to create some ideal environment (think those berries had him tripping balls) in this wacky environmental drama about consumer consumption and saving the earth I suppose.
July 8, 2016
Ford's best performance and best film
½ February 3, 2016
was a bit of a disappointment, but I think it was one of, if not, Fords best work.
April 8, 2015
A reasonable film which fell a bit flat towards the end. Not one I would want to watch again.
½ March 8, 2015
Hmm...The acting was fine, the direction was fine, I guess the story as a whole was a bit too glum of a subject matter for me. I did not really like this very much, but I didn't hate it either. This certainly is NOT the movie Harrison Ford will be most remembered for.
½ February 14, 2015
ugh. Parts of the beginning were painful. But it actually ends up doing a good job showing the psychosis & folly of enviro-utopianism. Surprisingly, one of Ford's best performances -- at his most evil. The pastor wins, in the end.
½ January 22, 2015
I usually like all of Peter Weir's films, but this is one flop I'm sorry to admit, the biggest issue is how unlikable Ford is in the lead, I hated him, I didn't agree or even understand his issues with America, they're very vague, and he puts his family through all this danger and risk, which is the other issue, they never question him! there's not one scene of them discussing this stupid plan to live in the middle of fucking nowhere and make ice, it only gets worse as the movie goes on and he does more and more irritating things, there is some nice locations and music, weir's films always look good for sure, but sadly this was not up to his usual standard
December 13, 2014
Harrison Ford's best work. Bar none. Great movie! Made my best of all time list.
½ October 11, 2014
The Beach meets The Shining.
½ October 3, 2014
Interesting premise with an all star cast but disappointing execution all round and pretty cheesy.
September 13, 2014