The Mosquito Coast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mosquito Coast Reviews

October 17, 2016
Absolutely beautiful film, both visually and in content. Harrison Ford delivers one of his best performances playing an obsessed man trying to destroy conventions in which people trapped themselves. And it's nice to see Helen Mirren as his devoted wife.
October 9, 2016
This movie is excellent. Ford plays such a nuanced and deceptive character, whose pride ends up almost hurting those he loves the most. It has so many themes and is a grand adventure movie, definitely one I'd recommend.
August 14, 2016
Breaking from the "cool, tough, and charismatic" roles that Harrison Ford is known for, here he plays a mostly unlikable and paranoid father who uproots his family to live in the jungle. It's mostly a character study, and all the acting is great from Ford, as well as Helen Mirren (who has a great American accent), River Phoenix, and even a small appearance from Jason Alexander. However, I was often left wondering why his family put up with Ford as much as they did, and there were a few odd bits of dialogue left me scratching my head. It's an interesting movie, but it's also no surprise it hasn't become a Ford classic.
August 11, 2016
Pissed off at the world inventor moves his family to some island and makes them eat berries and crap while the inventor tries to create some ideal environment (think those berries had him tripping balls) in this wacky environmental drama about consumer consumption and saving the earth I suppose.
July 8, 2016
Ford's best performance and best film
½ February 3, 2016
was a bit of a disappointment, but I think it was one of, if not, Fords best work.
April 8, 2015
A reasonable film which fell a bit flat towards the end. Not one I would want to watch again.
½ March 8, 2015
Hmm...The acting was fine, the direction was fine, I guess the story as a whole was a bit too glum of a subject matter for me. I did not really like this very much, but I didn't hate it either. This certainly is NOT the movie Harrison Ford will be most remembered for.
½ February 14, 2015
ugh. Parts of the beginning were painful. But it actually ends up doing a good job showing the psychosis & folly of enviro-utopianism. Surprisingly, one of Ford's best performances -- at his most evil. The pastor wins, in the end.
½ January 22, 2015
I usually like all of Peter Weir's films, but this is one flop I'm sorry to admit, the biggest issue is how unlikable Ford is in the lead, I hated him, I didn't agree or even understand his issues with America, they're very vague, and he puts his family through all this danger and risk, which is the other issue, they never question him! there's not one scene of them discussing this stupid plan to live in the middle of fucking nowhere and make ice, it only gets worse as the movie goes on and he does more and more irritating things, there is some nice locations and music, weir's films always look good for sure, but sadly this was not up to his usual standard
December 13, 2014
Harrison Ford's best work. Bar none. Great movie! Made my best of all time list.
½ October 11, 2014
The Beach meets The Shining.
½ October 3, 2014
Interesting premise with an all star cast but disappointing execution all round and pretty cheesy.
September 13, 2014
MUY ENTRETENIDA HISTORIA
August 31, 2014
Overlooked classic...River holds his own next to Harrison in this one.
½ August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/15/2012)
½ July 16, 2014
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

(1986) The Mosquito Coast
ADVENTURE DRAMA

Based on a novel by Paul Theroux starring Harrison Ford as ambitious inventor Allie Fox, who also happens to be a radical idealist. The story is narrated by his son, Charlie Fox played by River Phoenix, who's father assumes the absolute worst and is motivated to sought living somewhere that's not on the map. So he convinces his wife, who nicknames her Mother played by Helen Mirren and his four kids to abandoned whatever they have and move to South America eventually to an unknown area called the Mossquitez or as this movie is called "The Mosquito Coast".

Although, some of Paul's philosophical views are interesting, his character appears to be one-note making him appear to be more and more of a lunatic as the film is progressing. Some of the musical score is similar to director Peter Weir's other film, "The Year Of Living Dangerously", and both River Phoenix and Martha Plimpton are exceptional as usual as this is the first of two movies they've been together.

3 stars out of 4
July 7, 2014
Excelente película que muestra lo dañino de aferrarse a sus ideas al extremo, ya que, aunque algunas veces tengamos razón, no significa que somos dueños de la verdad. Buena interpretación de Ford, una Mirren joven y un joven estrella naciente apagado prematuramente, Phoenix. A ver si reconocen a "George Constanza"
January 5, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.