The Mosquito Coast Reviews

• Dec 30, 2019

Absolutely beautiful beyond words!!!

Absolutely beautiful beyond words!!!

• Sep 05, 2019

Reviewed 9.3.19 Harrison Ford plays Allie Fox, a man fed up with American commercialism, and his fear of inevitable nuclear apocalypse. His solution is an idyllic and pure existence in the depths of the African jungle. In his blind spot is the truth; he is still born of American idealism. Unfettered ambition. The idea that we can go it alone. That we can invent our way out of everything. And an arrogance born out of white privilege. All this back in 1986, talk about prescient. River Phoenix is coming to his own on screen, alongside an always stellar Helen Mirren (stuck with an underwritten role in this case). Conrad Roberts adds character as the charming Mr. Haddy. And Ford drops all of his swashbuckling charm, to find the tortured soul of a brilliant inventor, short a few emotional screws. The film didn't fair well upon release. It's didn't fit the Harrison Ford mold, or perhaps it just hit too close to home for the 'Me Generation,' at their zenith. Also, the mid-80's weren't exactly a great time for risk-taking in major releases. But with terrorist attacks, school shootings, climate change catastrophe...the story is rife for a reboot. Allie Fox would have a field day. The execution doesn't always equal the concept. But with a forward thinking script, solid acting, a lush setting, and director Peter Weir in his warm-up phase (Dead Poet's Society and The Truman Show were to follow), it's an adventure worth taking, no matter the pit falls.

• Jul 27, 2019

i prefer cannibal holocaust

i prefer cannibal holocaust

• Jul 14, 2019

Para los que quieran ver a una Helen Mirren y Ford jòvenes.

Para los que quieran ver a una Helen Mirren y Ford jòvenes.

• Jun 27, 2019

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Love Harrison Ford but the script was dreadful!

• Feb 24, 2019

Saw this years ago. It's good, but a lot of talented actors are wasted in what could have been something incredible. Read the novel and you'll see what I mean. Had it been done right, I do believe this would have been Harrison Ford's finest work. (just a sideline)Jack Nicholson was initially offered the lead but turned it down because he wouldn't be able to watch the basketball where they were filming.

• Jun 01, 2018

Most Amazing movie ever. Critics are not too bright.

Most Amazing movie ever. Critics are not too bright.

• Jun 13, 2017

Superb but harrowing.

Superb but harrowing.

• Mar 29, 2017

Peter Weir film is really a showcase for Harrison Ford who plays an eccentric inventor living off the grid. It's a fearless and uncharacteristic performance and a deviation from Ford's usual earnest action hero persona.

• Mar 10, 2017

Entertaining. Risky. Fantastic acting by Harrison Ford. Not for everyone. Its a movie about a guy who hates Western culture and wants to make his own way of life in the jungle. Only problem is his family is with him and the jungle isn't always a good place to live. Understatement.