mother! Reviews

• 12h ago

This was one bizarre movie; a frenetic outpouring of mindless drivel. Jennifer Lawrence's acting in this seemed forced and underplayed as she subserviently allows her home to become a repository for insane psychofants not once, but incredulously twice. She simpers around from room to room politely asking various lunitics to stop destroying her house. Javier Bardem's acting is superb as usual and is the only saving grace for this movie. I get the goal of the movie but this is woefully lost in the overdone carnage.

• 1d ago

I just wasted 2 hours of my life. This film was repetitive, boring and incredibly pretentious. There was no payoff in the end and no questions were answered.

• 5d ago

not bad. leaves you with a wtf did I just watch feeling

not bad. leaves you with a wtf did I just watch feeling

• 5d ago

Darren Aronofsky's new film Mother! starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem was such a polarizing film to experience. I have very mixed feelings on it, make no mistake about it Mother! Is like no other movie you'll see this year. To define it as a psychological horror movie is a bit misleading but to tell you the film's plot would spoil much of the movie. Not to mention I'm not even quite sure what happened in this movie and it was done purposely. By end credits I turned to my friend who was speechless and just asked him Why? The movie is visceral and ambitious puts you in a dream like state from start to finish. This is not a commercial film, the way they had advertised this, I think this should have been a limited release before maybe expanding in theaters. Both the leads put in good performances, but I can't help but worry this will ultimately hurt their careers. I'm not really sure who this movie is for. It's tough to sit through dark, grim, and unnerving to watch I understand why audiences are lashing out at it. It's certainly artistic but it's an exercise that is not worth going through. I was into it and going along with the movie as surreal as it felt through the second act but the movie goes off the rail in its its chaotic final act. I don't fault Aronofsky for trying something different and being bold, but just because you do something original and so outside the box doesn't necessarily make a good film. I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie but if you do try to keep an open mind because it's not what you will expect. I'd give Mother! a 2 out of 5

• Aug 12, 2019

Seriously flawed chaotic flow of a "movie". It was like the writer did not exist and gave the actors zero direction. I found the house and location wrongly upstaged the highly known cast of actors. Why do actors feel they can take over a movie? They're too entitled and lack talent to do this and live in a state of toxic solipsism nursed by a narcissistic environment that is Dollywood.

• Aug 10, 2019

Terrible. Hands down the worst movie I've seen in at least 20 years...maybe ever. There's no reason anyone should EVER watch this.

• Aug 08, 2019

Does anyone else feel like the default run-time of a movie has slipped from 90 minutes to 120 minutes? As intense as this movie could be, I have to admit that I started clock-watching at about the 60-minute mark and begging for the end or at least just some nudity around the 75-minute mark, to keep me interested. Honestly, I think the lowest point of the movie was the CGI. It was so intrusive, and it was present in all of the most important parts. Definitely not "the worst movie of the century" as many have said, but far from Aronofsky's best and a pretty tedious watch at two hours in length. But at least it was original and was authentic, and you can't say that about all the crappy remakes and superhero movies. For what it's worth, I believe the allegory he was going for is the mother/creator as the Giving Tree, who invites strangers into their personal world through their art only to see it vulgarized, defiled, and destroyed by the audiences and critics that they're so desperate to please, and the compulsion that drives them to repeat the horrifying cycle time after time. What some are seeing as "organized religion" is just a manifestation of people reading into a work what they want to see--religious significance, political manifesto, etc.--and how it's beyond the creator's control. Just like a mother, who can only nurture a child, but can't control what the end result will be no matter how much she gives to the project.

• Aug 08, 2019

I hate this movie, it makes you feel way too many emotions. Confusion, Hatred, Annoyance, Disgust.. like for all of that to happen while watching a movie is insane and people and may think it's a masterpiece or blessing in disguise.. but to have no explanation for ANYTHING that happened and no real ending... that's nothing but a big F*** You.

• Aug 07, 2019

Some users reviews are very critical and even disrespectful. I get it: You don't have to like everything or even half of the aspects of the movie. If You - user 'Stephen S' think that was one of the worst movies in the cinema history, doesn't mean it's true, even though you have super reviewer badge on RT. I agree that many scenes are really difficult to explain and some of them are maybe impossible because who knows what director/scriptwriter was thinking or was drugs he used when in a process of making movie. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING WHY YOU REVIEWING AND JUDGING SOMETHING YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT, YOU DUMMY? ;) The same goes to "critics" !!! I can only add that: almost all of those CRITICS are douchebags, because you think you saw few movies you know all the stuff in the world. These days critics just using this "funny" and trendy gay words to criticise the movie without any 'proof' just 100% brainless rant. \movie was very bizarre and creepy. In my opinion movie was about fame that can blind you, make you focus on yourself and forget about the loves ones and how big the consequences can be, especially for the closest ones and when to think of this movie bit more, you can see some explanations are getting clear. I like this weirdness of the movie. Just didn't get this army reference. Who knows? Maybe this movie trying to be about everything? I'm not bothering myself with this movie anymore. to me it would be between 3 and 4 stars

• Aug 05, 2019

I think this is the single most magnificent piece of filmmaking I've ever experience. From the brilliance of the allegory, the incredible script, and mind-boggling performance by Bardem, this movie is one of the best movies thus-far in the 21st Century.