mother! Reviews

• 16h ago

Sorry, but that was by far the worst movie I have ever watched in my lifetime. Who decides to create such a nonsense? The movie is just a huge fever dream, after 90 minutes I still had no idea where the movie was going and the finale is the biggest nonsense I have ever seen. This movie makes me feel nothing but hate and anger.

• 2d ago

Well, congratulations Aronofsky. You've made a virtually unwatchable and incomprehensible movie. I made two attempts, but it's just not worth the time.

• 3d ago

I hated it. It was one of the worst horror movies I have ever watched , pointless , boring, endless. In fact I think this is the worst movie I have ever watched. Never recommend it

• 3d ago

Es una película totalmente desconcertante, que puede llevar a la desesperación y ansiedad; sin embargo, cuenta con buenas actuaciones y escenarios, además de ser una película abierta al espectador, que puede generar sus teorías (aunque, seamos sinceros, pocos pueden tener una que englobe a la película en su totalidad)

• 4d ago

Loved the cast and the idea of not knowing what exactly was going on (whether the main characters were having a nightmare, hallucinations, or as a tighter the husband was just working on a new book and letting the audience know the conflicts of his mind as he deals with the creativity blackout he was facing) made me resist till the end when things became kinda bizarre, but, still intriguing. The movie provokes some reflections as we witness some horror, sometimes more psychological sometimes more visual. Not a movie for the mainstream for sure.

• 4d ago

The ending of this film doesn't make sense along with the whole quarter of an hour that precedes it. For the rest he entertains you a lot and empathizes a lot with the protagonist. In addition to the ending even the twist does not make sense

• 6d ago

Maravilhoso! Retratas como é viver um relacionamento abusivo. A passagem pela depressão, guerras internas, submissão em um relacionamento, quebra de idealizações e etc. Um filme muito rico e que exige do espectador sensibilidade e ciência sobre diversos temas para que tudo faça sentido. Por se tratar principalmente de um filme pautado em metáforas. Enfim, maravilhoso. Vale a pena assistir.

• Jun 05, 2021

(Review from my Letterboxd) I'm literally ripping my hair out while watching this. The never-ending anxiety, rage, and frustration I feel is inconceivable. My stomach is churning. I'm want to throw up. I don't understand the purpose of making this movie. I want to speak with Darren Aronofsky and just… why. I understand this movie is supposed to portray Mother Earth, God, and how humanity is essentially killing her, but the gratuitous violence and scenes of pure anguish overshadow what Aronofsky was attempting to portray. I love horror, thrillers, and I have zero qualms about violence, but this… this took it too far. It sickened me to the point of causing me to dry heave to see a woman being so abused and so violated. I couldn't get through  A Serbian Film and to me, Mother! affected me on that same level. And after reading through various interviews Aronofsky did explaining the film I just find it so hard to believe that all of THAT was just for what? To bring awareness to climate change? To make readers aware of the affect we have on Earth? I don't accept that. The acting was phenomenal, however.

• Jun 05, 2021

This movie is defenetly an aquired taste. I liked it better the second time i watchted it. It certainly follows no common logic of storytelling. The acting however is excelent and very engaged. Amd once i allowed myself to be taken on the narrative ride, i quite enjoyed myself i found myself emphasising with the growing panic of the leading lady. Don't expect any common logic though. What does the filmaker want tobtell us? An analogy to Mary, Joseff and their son? An analogy to fame? To the inner angst, our hunger for love, belonging, recognition? Anyone's guess.....

• May 16, 2021

I thought this film was a really visceral experience in a way that captivated from the beginning and took you along for the ride through to the end. Unpredictable, memorable and a surreal but highly watchable psychological journey. I was shocked to see the bad reviews afterwards which I think has prejudiced many people's experience. I didnt find it pretentious at all, the biblical metaphors are there but not necessary to enjoy the film if you're at all receptive to drama, tension, atmosphere and an emotional journey that doesn't have to explain itself literally. Not every film can do this without avoiding getting stuck in self indulgent trash. I didn't think this film did for a moment. Such a shame it has been so completely slaughtered by reviews when there are many, many lazier and more pretentious movies out there.